Well v Well Rejects

2 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

St Mirren in financial trouble and cutting back next season. Avoid relegation this season and the roles will be reversed next year. 

Nah, we'll just carry on spending next season, we won't pay our creditors, maybe try a CVA, maybe not, probably flirt with administration, and when the dust settles we won't suffer any real punishment, not even relegation. 

It's been done before by some Lanarkshire mob.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Dunne is the one that shocked me. I was a bit aghast when I heard we were signing a guy who had barely kicked a ball in two years but save from a few small niggles, he's been pretty much reliable in terms of availability. 

I also like him. He's not technically proficient but he's absolutely rapid for a centre half at this level and that covers his arse for a few mistakes. He loves a 75 yard cross field pass to no-one as well but that's part of his charm.

He's my favourite example of a guy that is a footballer simply because of his sheer desire and mentality to be one, because no danger it was his footballing ability that got him there.

1 hour ago, Div said:

Motherwell made Mark O'Hara an offer to sign a new contract at Fir Park but they could not match what we offered which is why he moved to Paisley.

The Steelmen were also in for Keanu Baccus and again lost out because we offered more than they could.

That might say Motherwell are more prudent than St.Mirren, or it might say St.Mirren are more ambitious than Motherwell. Or it might say something completely different depending on what side of the fence you are standing on.

Either way, both are 100% true.

Probably a bit of both truth be told.

St Mirren have pushed the boat out a little in terms of player wages. We appear to have cut back. The not so surprising outcome is we are struggling whilst the Saints are in line for a top 6 finish. Throw into the mix and experienced Manager who for 90% of his time at Motherwell did an excellent job. Whilst we appointed a novice and it has unsurprisingly backfired. 

Very few Motherwell fans are criticising St Mirren. Most are saying we would take back a number of players that left us. Simply as our squad appears to be filled with players with little backbone and little skill and little professionalism and little everything else.

I 100% expect a St Mirren win and I am prepared to put a few pennies on that outcome. I hope I lose but I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Very few Motherwell fans are criticising St Mirren. Most are saying we would take back a number of players that left us. Simply as our squad appears to be filled with players with little backbone and little skill and little professionalism and little everything else.

Yup, been a very amicable match thread so far.

I don't like it, it makes me nervous.

Motherwell's signing policy definitely appears to have been scattergun at it's kindest. Obika is a prime example, I loved the guy and anyone who watched him up here a few years ago knows that he's a very decent middle of the road top flight centre forward who'll grab you 7-10 goals in a season. 

However, he has been badly injury prone since leaving us and unfortunately, I'd suggest based on that and the fact he's 32, his best days are probably behind him. It's definitely a feeling that Motherwell signed him on the basis of 'he looked good up here a couple of years ago' rather than actually scouting him as I'm certain given Robinson's history with him, he'd have been on our shortlist the moment Ayunga got injured if he was still up to the task.

I don't mean that in an arrogant way or anything, just that we'd have been well aware of his current capabilities and availability so on paper he'd have been a natural fit in such a pinch for us, so to me, it says a lot that he wasn't even so much as linked with a short term return to us. 

To be honest, he was pretty much a late panic signing. We'd signed Mandron who had a short sub appearance then scored two against Arbroath before getting injured in training. The assumption is he's not due to be playing any time soon so we needed another body in. Time will tell but Obika was well off the pace on Saturday (he was far from alone in that respect).

Obika has knocked a few long balls on, unfortunately our other forward looking players are hugging the touch line.  This is in complete contrast to Van Veen who lets the ball rebound off his shins but none of the midfield are close to him to pick up the scraps.

Edited by ropy

7 hours ago, Desp said:

Charlie Dunne is absolutely brilliant until someone puts a baw at his feet!  Brilliant big guy though and was very popular at Fir Park.  He must still stay locally as I often see him in Motherwell Asda.

Loved his instagram rap/response video that he did outside M&D's. And was it not him that gave folks a lift in the snow? Good guy.

Against all common sense heading along and have a slight air of optimisim.

Will probably regret it again the minute I take my seat.

Law of averages though - We have to win at some point.

Would be good to see Butcher in MF if possible to see if it actually makes a difference.

Edited by Richie

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Nah, we'll just carry on spending next season, we won't pay our creditors, maybe try a CVA, maybe not, probably flirt with administration, and when the dust settles we won't suffer any real punishment, not even relegation. 

It's been done before by some Lanarkshire mob.

Why not go the whole hog and die and come back as a totally new club.

12 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

He's my favourite example of a guy that is a footballer simply because of his sheer desire and mentality to be one, because no danger it was his footballing ability that got him there.

Apart from his "punt" through to Moult in the cup semi.

18 minutes ago, Richie said:

Against all common sense heading along and have a slight air of optimisim.

Will probably regret it again the minute I take my seat.

Law of averages though - We have to win at some point.

Would be good to see Butcher in MF if possible to see if it actually makes a difference.

I used the law of averages motivation coming out of the World Cup break, didn’t work.