Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I don't think "but we won all the elections!" is a good shortcut to judging how well a government has done, its record, or the degree to which it has improved things - at least not in isolation.

Over much the same timeframe as the SNP have been in office, i.e. saving the first three years, the Tories have won each General Election. While the margins may not have been quite as large, are we to assume (as a shortcut) that the Tories' record is good and they must be doing right...because they have won all the recent General Elections and have thus (whether we might like it or not - and I don't) been electorally successful?

I don't think that can be right, and the usual reasons put forward (not without justification, I don't think) for the Tories winning are disengaged voters in some cases who don't really know what they are voting for, and in other cases voters who have voted because they supported a single issue constitutional change (Brexit).  Accordingly, the Tories received votes for reasons other than some sparkling record in government,

I'd suggest myself that the Tories have governed badly, but they have been winning elections. 

It is eminently possible for the SNP to also have governed poorly, but to have been rewarded by disengaged voters who weren't really following their actual policy moves and those who voted for them because they support a single issue constitutional change (independence).

Now, it's up for debate (on a case by case basis) whether SNP initiatives in particular policy areas have been good and contribute to a good policy record or not but I believe this shortcut argument of "but they kept winning elections so they must have been good!" needs to be thrown in the bin because the Tories show us you can win elections despite being absolute horrors.

But I'm not saying they've been a good government, I'm questioning the tactical wisdom of Forbes going hard on their record when 1) she is a senior member of that government 2) they are still polling strongly and 3) the election will be decided by party members who probably broadly quite like them.

As I said in my original post, I think there was plenty of scope in this contest for someone with fresh ideas to win over a stale and uninspiring continuity candidate. Forbes was well-positioned to play that role and was probably making some of the right noises about taking a fresh approach and winning new voters. But going on national TV to say she doesn't think one of her cabinet colleagues should keep his current job (aside from being artless) seems to needlessly undermine a government that's in a relatively strong polling position and probably alienates significant chunks of the parliamentary party and membership. A bold choice.

29 minutes ago, Rod1877 said:

If collective responsibility is the test, why is HY not being slated for "trashing" her record as finance secretary by accusing her of leaving £600m on the table during budget negotiations with the UK government?  Why did he not resign in protest?  Why, when he knew all along that she was not suitably "progressive" did he not protest her appointment or resign his post in protest?

IMO, there is a pretty clear distinction. 

If you are, effectively, the Government's "accountant", your views on equalities-related issues like equal marriage don't really impact much on carrying out your role.  Frankly, although a young Earth creationist might be a brilliant accountant, I wouldn't want one in charge of reviewing the country's science curriculum policy. 

The role of First Minister covers all matters of public policy, so the potential for faith-based considerations coming into play is much more evident.  If a politician looks at an issue of policy based on evidence, that's all I'd be looking for him or her to do.  If they choose to "add on" additional factors based on what are clearly minority, unprovable, non-evidence based considerations , then I think I can see problems in justifying to non-believers a resulting public policy position. 

Yousaf appears tobe able to say that he leaves his faith at the door. I've not yet seen or heard a response from Forbes that gives me the same opinion. 

Obviously I'm not a fan of religion and my preference is for it to be as far away from government as possible. In a country like the UK, where a particular sect of a particular religion is statutorily embedded in national and local government that's quite a problem. 

Looking forward to working with convicted criminal Sheridan who must be one of the most discredited figures on Scottish politics. He puts on events in George Square with the ‘Scottish Resistance’ where they play Braveheart, that’s the level.

More seriously he and the figures around him have been vocal in spreading conspiracies and denial around Russian war crimes in the war in Ukraine. He’s an utter complete arsehole, a loser and a sex case weirdo.

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

But going on national TV to say she doesn't think one of her cabinet colleagues should keep his current job (aside from being artless) seems to needlessly undermine a government that's in a relatively strong polling position and probably alienates significant chunks of the parliamentary party and membership. A bold choice.

At least she had the guts to say what everyone knows - everything he touches turn to shit.  In all honesty if you became PM why would you have him on your front bench unless you want a scapegoat?

The UK government is pushing legislation and rhetoric not far off 1930’s Germany (i dont accept this as godwins law breach, it genuinely is), they are about to withdraw your rights to annual leave/other industrial rights, human rights and the corruption is off the fucking scale. But here we are with our chance to get out of it all and we’ve decided to put up 3 of the shittiest candidates to lead Scotland. 
f**k the SNP, theyve completely shat it. We now need an alternative. 

24 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Why don’t you do something about it then?

Or do you mean other people should do something about it whilst you sit on the sidelines and sound off?

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Day 1 - Indy ref.

Day 2 - Get the UK to f**k.

Simple as.

😍 The Indy ship has sailed ferry is rusting on the slipway without a captain.  And none of these three chancers could be trusted with a pedalo.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Or do you mean other people should do something about it whilst you sit on the sidelines and sound off?

^^^ sitting on the sidelines sounding off. 

41 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The UK government is pushing legislation and rhetoric not far off 1930’s Germany (i dont accept this as godwins law breach, it genuinely is), they are about to withdraw your rights to annual leave/other industrial rights, human rights and the corruption is off the fucking scale. But here we are with our chance to get out of it all and we’ve decided to put up 3 of the shittiest candidates to lead Scotland. 

Hmmm, I seem to remember when Big Ange Postecoglou was being regarded as a fifth-choice fanny, and yet here we are.  Sometimes we don't always get the candidates we would like, and sometimes the ones we don't rise above our expectations.

On that basis I could maybe hold my nose very tightly and see if Forbes can stop the good ship SNP crashing itself fully onto the rocks of electoral doom.

But meantime, share your alternative with us.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Hmmm, I seem to remember when Big Ange Postecoglou was being regarded as a fifth-choice fanny, and yet here we are.  Sometimes we don't always get the candidates we would like, and sometimes the ones we don't rise above our expectations.

On that basis I could maybe hold my nose very tightly and see if Forbes can stop the good ship SNP crashing itself fully onto the rocks of electoral doom.

But meantime, share your alternative with us.

Not a chance.

52 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

What exactly is our chance?

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

This is where the Inverness Courier is holding their readers' hustings on March 17th. Bunch up at the back please!

image.thumb.png.a36cd33147a1180d9baeed2bb38e28ab.png

Not expecting a big crowd, unless they are holding it outside?

Frankly, the government has been meandering for years now. There aren't that many achievements to speak of. It's why I'm so pissed off, I genuinely thought we would get some competent governance out of this. Instead it's a fucking clown show with irrelevant non-entities. 

I think it would be disingenuous of any candidate to proclaim that it's been milk and honey under the current administration. I actually find it astounding that Humza is running as continuity. It's always a harder sell.

My ballot would be getting spoilt, I'd suggest SNP members do the same. It would send a clear message that you aren't content with the field.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Not expecting a big crowd, unless they are holding it outside?

It's only for digital subscribers so I don't anticipate a huge demand, this seems a bit skinflint though, they're not exactly holding up the candidates to the scrutiny of Highlanders, as promised. There's going to be a stream available for all though. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Im legally not allowed to play an active part in politics, ie campaign or stand as a candidate, but I have dedicated my professional career doing what i can to mitigate the mess they’ve made in my sector. 

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Frankly, the government has been meandering for years now. There aren't that many achievements to speak of. It's why I'm so pissed off, I genuinely thought we would get some competent governance out of this. Instead it's a fucking clown show with irrelevant non-entities. 

I think it would be disingenuous of any candidate to proclaim that it's been milk and honey under the current administration. I actually find it astounding that Humza is running as continuity. It's always a harder sell.

My ballot would be getting spoilt, I'd suggest SNP members do the same. It would send a clear message that you aren't content with the field.

That way you risk getting the worst of the three, only the Cherryites will be enthusiastic about voting for any of them, Ash Regan. I've still to decide who is the least worst. And if Humza doesn't win on the first votes, Kate Forbes is likely to pick up more of the second preferences. Spoiling the ballot wouldn't change anything. I'll be waiting till the last day to vote, just in case somebody comes up with a real reason to vote for them, in the meantime it seems like one of these no chance of winning tests they give out at Starfleet Academy.:1eye

Edited by welshbairn

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That way you risk getting the worst of the three, only the Cherryites will be enthusiastic about voting for any of them, Ash Regan. I've still to decide who is the least worst. And if Humza doesn't win on the first votes, Kate Forbes is likely to pick up more of the second preferences. Spoiling the ballot wouldn't change anything. I'll be waiting till the last day to vote, just in case somebody comes up with a real reason to vote for them, in the meantime it seems like one of these no chance of winning tests they give out at Starfleet Academy.:1eye

Kobayashi Maru

I doubt Regan will get to 10% tbh.