Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Bodie said:

Sensing a bit of unease that Humza's coronation isn't going quite as planned.

That might be a blessing in disguise.  This has all the makings of Liz Truss.  He can come in and ostensibly right the ship after a 45 day clusterfuck. 

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

The Greens are an irrelevance and should be treated as such. Governing as a minority isn't really a risk. The SNP have 64 MSPs, 1 short of an outright majority.

Can't the SNP just have whatever the Scottish equivalent of the FSB/Mossad is throw the yoon with the flimsiest majority out of a 16th floor window and force a by-election?

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

That might be a blessing in disguise.  This has all the makings of Liz Truss.  He can come in and ostensibly right the ship after a 45 day clusterfuck. 

Humza will win anyway which will spare the awkwardness of some of the MSP's rejecting the members choice. Kicks the can down the road for a while yet anyway.

He's been cut to 1/3 now by Skybet so someone's had a big bet on him.

Spoiler

P. Murrell £600,000 

6 hours ago, sophia said:

Are you also waiting to hear how Humza is going to cost his plans, such as they are, or are you holding Kate to a higher standard?

For someone who was previously openly ridiculed on here and more widely for that matter, Humza is getting a remarkably easy ride. Just as well, he might fall off.

My opinion is after hearing Humza here and there over the last few weeks. Hes not a good speaker, he seems to agree to everything and isnt focused on whats possible to achieve. I dont really believe him on much. Thats not to say Im correct in that opinion just thats the impression im getting.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The mistake the SNP made with GRR was not pushing it through 5 years ago before Twitter had a nervous breakdown about it and it transmitted out into the real world. It was fairly uncontroversial, Ireland had passed it with little fuss and May was talking about doing the same in Westminster, but there was resistance within the SNP from the likes of Cherry so they kicked the can down the road.

Pandering to people who were never going to back GRR did not help.  What they should have done was depoliticise it by working with those who supported the principle but had concerns over implementation.

By letting things drag on they allowed those who opposed the principle to get a head of steam up with exaggerations and downright lies.

What's also not helped is undermining their own bill by interfering on the Isla Dryden case as they did.

That immediately took away any moral high ground they had.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

38 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

What's also not helped is undermining their own bill by interfering on the Isla Dryden case as they did.

The Prison Service couldn't have screwed up the optics more if they tried. Putting a convicted rapist in a women's prison before they were assessed properly, even in solitary so there was no actual danger to  anyone, was unbelievably dumb if not deliberate sabotage, given the timing. They only have two trans prisoners a year on average to deal with, it can't be that hard. I'm not sure what choice the Government had but to intervene.

Edited by welshbairn

The equivalent to GRR was introduced in Spain about four weeks ago; no sign of the sky caving in so far.

Not sure how the British English authorities are going to police Spain tourists with said certificates!

Edited by Granny Danger

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The equivalent to GRR was introduced in Spain about four weeks ago; no sign of the sky caving in so far.

Not sure how the British English authorities are going to police Spain tourists with said certificates!

Illinois did it a few weeks back and the only time I saw it in the news was the report that Pritzker had signed it into law. 

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Prison Service couldn't have screwed up the optics more if they tried. Putting a convicted rapist in a women's prison before they were assessed properly, even in solitary so there was no actual danger to  anyone, was unbelievably dumb if not deliberate sabotage, given the timing. They only have two trans prisoners a year on average to deal with, it can't be that hard. I'm not sure what choice the Government had but to intervene.

Stepping back and letting them make the decision.

If your safeguard is a risk assessment you have to let it happen. 

It also didn't help accusing Dryden of lying about changing gender - that played right into the hands of those who opposed the bill.

8 hours ago, Trogdor said:

No-one suggested binning left wing policies. I can see why you want to frame it that way. Again you are citing successes with the free prescriptions from 2011 and bedroom tax from 2017 (?) Again, what have you done for me lately?

If we are playing cherry picking legislation, can I have a go as well?

Let's talk the named person scheme or the hate crime bill. Two terrible pieces of legislation one binned as it was incompatible with human rights legislation and the second yet to be implemented because of the resource requirements on Police Scotland. Will it ever be implemented?

That's without going near the binfire of the GRR which is a good case study in how not to communicate with the electorate. "You're all transphobes, misogynists, homophobic and possibly racist if you oppose this." A bill which had laudable aims was hijacked for a culture war of which the SG badly miscommunicated with the electorate. The GRR is dead in its current form, it would be electoral self harm to proceed with it. The opposition is more than just Alba das. Single sex spaces need addressed as well. Or how they are protected needs explained to the electorate coherently. 

The SG need to govern better and legislate better. The last 5/6 years there has been a real dearth of any positive legislation. I think that's best done from the middle ground. Particularly if you want to win 50%+ of the vote. Moving further to the left won't achieve that aim. 

I wasn't referring to specific candidates but it is one of the reasons I would jettison the Greens. They are pulling policy more leftwards and that's not where the majority of the electorate sits.

Its a small mercy the hate crime bill hasnt come in yet, if people think things are hard enough to get a response, due to having to deal with mental health shortages when this comes in its going to be impossible. But ill thought out legislation is not a barrier to the SNP, their criminal justice reform is full of dodgy loopholes that they know about and refuse to do anything about. 

30 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Stepping back and letting them make the decision.

If your safeguard is a risk assessment you have to let it happen. 

It also didn't help accusing Dryden of lying about changing gender - that played right into the hands of those who opposed the bill.

Common sense has gone out of the window with this on both sides imo, I think it's reasonable for somebody charged with double rape who has shown no sign of gender dysphoria before and suddenly starts wearing a wig and a pink anorak when they're about to go to trial not to automatically be given benefit of the doubt.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Common sense has gone out of the window with this on both sides imo, I think it's reasonable for somebody charged with double rape who has shown no sign of gender dysphoria before and suddenly starts wearing a wig and a pink anorak when they're about to go to trial not to automatically be given benefit of the doubt.

A risk assessment would have done that.

I'm disappointed in the Scottish Government because, when push came to shove, they didn't have the courage to stand by their own policy.

On 26/02/2023 at 09:20, Savage Henry said:

It really is.  I think all but the most blinkered - independence or bust - SNP activists can see the damage this is doing.  Take a step back and consider that the next First Minister will be one of Hamza or Regan - Forbes is done, but even if she wasn’t, she’s no better.   It’s like Liz Truss versus Steve Bruce on Celebrity Mastermind.  No good can come of this. 

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

So in a little over two weeks we've gone from "done" to an expectation of victory, that's some resurrection!

I find this direction of travel to be quite remarkable but not as repetitive as the chronic Liz Truss patter.