Spain (a) in October

For those shiting it about this international window you can get around 6/1 on the results required for us not to qualify by next Sunday night.

If it comes in it pays my flights to Georgia next month and if it doesn't I'll be too delighted to care about the lost money.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

13 hours ago, Donathan said:

I wasn’t as strongly against the McTominay CB thing as most posters here but now, in 2023, it’s not going to happen again. Not when his runs into the box have generated six goals in five qualifiers. 

hallelujah GIF

20 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I'd be surprised to see either Hickey or Robertson play as an outside centre-back. I think they could both do a very good job there, but not against Spain for me. If it were against Cyprus where we'd make more of the play or maybe at a push Georgia then fine, but Spain? I'd be surprised. 

Pretty sure the first time Tierney ever played there was the 2-2 game vs England at home. Its been done before.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Expected that but it makes me wonder about McKenna. He's not been in Forest's squad for the past three games, but there's no chat of an injury and he's still in this squad so has he just been completely dropped?

53 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Expected that but it makes me wonder about McKenna. He's not been in Forest's squad for the past three games, but there's no chat of an injury and he's still in this squad so has he just been completely dropped?

The size of  Premier League matchday squad is 20 players. Nottingham Forest have 37 players in their first team squad. This means 17 players including injuries will miss out.

Added to that, I think the general consensus amongst the Nottingham Forest fanbase is that he is a grafter and well liked, but isn't of the required level to take Nottingham Forest where they are wanting to go. Nottingham Forest have recently changed to 4atb having recently been using 3atb and again from their fanbase the suggestion is that he isn't good enough at that level unless he has more support around him.

Moving to 4atb in itself would have the potential to reduce the opportunity to be involved as a central defender.

With that information and speculation, I would edge towards him being dropped rather than injured - especially given he was called up and hasn't dropped out with Ryan Jack, but I haven't seen any confirmation either way.

Edited by 2426255

Can't see us beating Spain but also don't think it'll be a hammering, Norway will take care of Cyprus as expected but I fully expect Spain to take care of business for us on Sunday away to Norway. Spain look like they have got their act together, a defeat would be another shocker for them, can't see it happening again. I just don't think Norway are good enough to win all of their remaining games and Spain will be desperate to finish top, would be shocked if Spain don't win all their remaining games tbh.

Very confident we are there but also shitting my skants 🥴

4 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Pretty sure the first time Tierney ever played there was the 2-2 game vs England at home. Its been done before.

That's a fair point and we've seen Clarke make left field moves before away qualifiers with Robertson at RWB (Denmark) or Hendry at LCB (Armenia). 

I think it would be a little risk as we have limited training time (2 sessions) to work on those relationships in a game where we aren't likely to see a lot of the attacking benefit of Tierney even if he was available. In that sense I don't really see a huge advantage in doing that ahead of just bringing in McKenna or Cooper.

Hickey is an excellent player. Good on the ball and defending, pretty good in the air too - it's more the limited timescale that would make me hesitate, but if that's the way we go and it works well it could be a great option in the future.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

The size of  Premier League matchday squad is 20 players. Nottingham Forest have 37 players in their first team squad. This means 17 players including injuries will miss out.

Added to that, I think the general consensus amongst the Nottingham Forest fanbase is that he is a grafter and well liked, but isn't of the required level to take Nottingham Forest where they are wanting to go. Nottingham Forest have recently changed to 4atb having recently been using 3atb and again from their fanbase the suggestion is that he isn't good enough at that level unless he has more support around him.

Moving to 4atb in itself would have the potential to reduce the opportunity to be involved as a central defender.

With that information and speculation, I would edge towards him being dropped rather than injured - especially given he was called up and hasn't dropped out with Ryan Jack, but I haven't seen any confirmation either way.

4 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

McKenna is front and centre in the picture the national team social media have put out of training this afternoon.

Ah well, it's never good when someone gets completely dropped from the matchday squads but it's decent that we have him available in Tierney's absence (though I reckon Cooper will get the nod). 

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Ah well, it's never good when someone gets completely dropped from the matchday squads but it's decent that we have him available in Tierney's absence (though I reckon Cooper will get the nod). 

It is strange, given he was starting and then completely bombed out of the squad. 

It is probably a toss of a coin between them, but if we set up similarly to last time and allow crosses into the box I would be going for McKenna with how dominant he is in the air. 

If we produce a 'rabbit in the headlights' type performance like the England game we will get turned over here. If we are at them from the start like the home tie it will be an interesting game. I'm expecting a much better performance from Spain this time around. I think we will unfortunately fall short here, with Norway taking care of Cyprus. However, I think our ticket will be stamped after the Spain/Norway game! 

13 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

If we produce a 'rabbit in the headlights' type performance like the England game we will get turned over here. If we are at them from the start like the home tie it will be an interesting game. I'm expecting a much better performance from Spain this time around. I think we will unfortunately fall short here, with Norway taking care of Cyprus. However, I think our ticket will be stamped after the Spain/Norway game! 

I've only really seen up to Englands 2nd goal, but up until then I didn't think it was rabbit in the headlights territory.

We did a lot fairly well - pressed well in parts, turned over the ball in their first third a few times and attacked well down the left - Clarke was trying a few things and maybe they won't be taken into the Spain game such as the high line. 

I see the recent experience against England as a perfect preparation as we know the level we'll have to be at to get a result. It was a good practice run.

3 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

Can't see us beating Spain but also don't think it'll be a hammering, Norway will take care of Cyprus as expected but I fully expect Spain to take care of business for us on Sunday away to Norway. Spain look like they have got their act together, a defeat would be another shocker for them, can't see it happening again. I just don't think Norway are good enough to win all of their remaining games and Spain will be desperate to finish top, would be shocked if Spain don't win all their remaining games tbh.

Very confident we are there but also shitting my skants 🥴

If we lose on Thursday then what do we want from Norway v Spain? On one hand a Norway win prevents us from qualifying in this window, but on the other hand a Spain win gives them a great chance to win the group. Maybe a draw? If Spain drop points in Oslo then even despite them beating us, we’d have winning the group in our own hands with two winnable albeit not easy ties in November.