Spain (a) in October

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

If we go to 4atb I'm assuming most people would prefer to go with Porteous and Hendry as the two central defenders? He was good in the Ukraine away game, but I thought prior to that the Hendry and McKenna combination looked really good too in the Ukraine & Ireland home games prior to that. I'd personally prefer that just as Scott McKenna has less variance in his game than Porteous and it means that we don't need to have Hendry or Porteous on the left.

Not sure why we would need to switch to a back 4 just because Tierney is out, he is a massive loss as we all know but we were never going to get his attacking strength in this game anyway as it will most likely be backs against the wall for 90 mins. It would make more sense to just keep the same formation and team and simply have Cooper or McKenna slot in for Tierney. 

36 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

Not sure why we would need to switch to a back 4 just because Tierney is out, he is a massive loss as we all know but we were never going to get his attacking strength in this game anyway as it will most likely be backs against the wall for 90 mins. It would make more sense to just keep the same formation and team and simply have Cooper or McKenna slot in for Tierney. 

While I would personally probably go for 5atb, Steve Clarke has said previously that he was/is considering changing. It would depend on how we approach the game.

If we plan to play a high line then it's easier to manage with 4atb rather than 5atb and gives us an extra man in the press with the aim of increasing our odds of turning the ball over higher and would also in theory keep their attacking players further from our goal. It could also let us play guys that are excellent at pressing the ball such as Christie without losing the ability to keep the ball with McGregor and Gilmour. 

Obviously it comes with its own risks, but there are advantages to changing.

It’s always a possibility. I never set it in stone that we’d play with a five. You have to look at the opposition and at the amount of time we’ve got on the training pitch. With it being a Thursday game, it’s a little more difficult to get time on the training pitch than if it’s on a Saturday, when you get more time to work on certain things. But playing with a back four is definitely an option. The vast majority of players play in a back four with their clubs. I don’t think too many play in a back five, so they’re used to it. If we decided to go with a back four it would mean we can get an extra body in the midfield area, which might help us. So I’ve got quite a lot to discuss with John Carver.

Steve Clarke

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/23834720.scotland-manager-set-make-major-tactical-switch-spain-game/

Edited by 2426255

I can't see him switching to a four for this game.  I think it was @craigkillie who pointed it out earlier, the back three/five without Tierney doesn't really work in games where we're expected to take the game to the opposition (i.e Czech Rep in the Euros & Ukraine in the playoff) but with all due respect to the Scotland players here, we're likely to be backs to the wall for the majority of the game in Seville.  I'd expect either Cooper or McKenna to slot into that LCB role, and I have no issue with either.  Both are competent enough defenders for what they'll be expected to do on Thursday, mainly heid the baw away or get it to f**k. 

I do wonder if Clarke will be tempted to start with Dykes as the lone striker. He was superb in the home game against Spain and it could be a case again for telling him to run himself into the ground for an hour, rattling as many Spaniards as possible along the way, before Adams (or A.N Other) comes on for the last part of the game.

A narrow midfield four of McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor & McGinn, with the former & latter asked to get up and support the striker.

Head says 3-0 Spain.

Heart says 1-1.

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I think we will keep it tight with the score 0-0 going into the last five minutes. Spain will go gung-ho to get a winner and we will pick them off in the 89th minute. John McGinn to knock over a raging Rodri with his arse during the riotous celebrations.

Please this

1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I am watching the game in my hotel in Lanzarote,watching Spain v Scotland a Spanish island in an all inclusive hotel what could possibly go wrong?

Isn’t it the October holidays this week? Probably more Scots in there than Spaniards