Spain (a) in October

2 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Most posts since the game finished have been debating Mctominays ruled out goal. Only been a few posts about the game. 

Thought McGinn was uncharacteristically poor in a Scotland shirt, couldn’t seem to get the ball to stick. McGregor too. 

Mctominay and Hickey were our two best players imo, frightening when you realise Hickey is only 21. The boy will be a superstar in a few years. 

Felt the 3 centre halves done well and I’ve said it before on here but Porteous has really stepped up to the plate in a Scotland shirt and proved loads of folk wrong. 

I honestly don’t think we were anywhere near our best last night and coupled with an incompetent ref to only get beat 2-0 from a team like Spain isn’t the end of the world. 

We didn't tend to play out and that's understandable because we'd probably end up in tricky situations and so ultimately I think our biggest issue in the game was trying to get the ball to stick when we played long. Dykes, McGinn, Christie and McTominay all struggled in that respect. I think the back-5 were all good and the front-5 did well defending, but the issue was just at this level we couldn't keep the ball enough which has to be solved if we want to compete with pot 1 teams. 

46 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well it's obvious he didn't give a foul.

This is astounding. I remain open to the possibility that you are simply operating on a different plane of cleverness to us all, but given that we are all taking the referees signal, the VAR signal fed to the stadium screen, the referees word to the players, and UEFAs word to the waiting media as indications he actually DID give a foul, i'm finding this particular sentence a little difficult to reconcile. 

Of course, theres some rumblings that this is becoming boring now. But still, of all the various things you've claimed aren't been understood by others, it's pretty fucking obvious to me, that you have no idea what obvious means. 

8 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Most posts since the game finished have been debating Mctominays ruled out goal. Only been a few posts about the game. 

Thought McGinn was uncharacteristically poor in a Scotland shirt, couldn’t seem to get the ball to stick. McGregor too. 

Mctominay and Hickey were our two best players imo, frightening when you realise Hickey is only 21. The boy will be a superstar in a few years. 

Felt the 3 centre halves done well and I’ve said it before on here but Porteous has really stepped up to the plate in a Scotland shirt and proved loads of folk wrong. 

I honestly don’t think we were anywhere near our best last night and coupled with an incompetent ref to only get beat 2-0 from a team like Spain isn’t the end of the world. 

I forgot how young Hickey is still. Seems like he’s been around for years.

24 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

You mean the image where the line appears to be drawn at Morata's foot and not his shoulder? And where the ball is already moving? That image?

Also, the ref gave a foul, the VAR reported a foul - the goal was not disallowed for offside.

Well, it was. You prefer to believe otherwise.

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I cannot remember a thread with a poster so desperate for attention as @Skyline Drifter

You couldn't be more wrong to be honest. If it wasn't for the fact I don't want to be accused of running and hiding I'd have left it by now. I can live without this. I've completely stopped posting about club football now because I just can't be arsed with it now. This will follow shortly.

21 minutes ago, Squalor Vic said:

You seem quite happy about the whole thing tbf

Yes, being able to rationalise what actually happened means I must be delighted about the whole thing. Must have been someone else jumping about the room last night when it went in then quickly sitting down as soon as I saw the replay and realised what was going to happen.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This is astounding. I remain open to the possibility that you are simply operating on a different plane of cleverness to us all, but given that we are all taking the referees signal, the VAR signal fed to the stadium screen, the referees word to the players, and UEFAs word to the waiting media as indications he actually DID give a foul, i'm finding this particular sentence a little difficult to reconcile. 

Of course, theres some rumblings that this is becoming boring now. But still, of all the various things you've claimed aren't been understood by others, it's pretty fucking obvious to me, that you have no idea what obvious means. 

I don't know how often it needs explained that all these different evidences of a foul being given that you quote are coming from the one incorrect source, but that's still the case. Do you really not think its obvious what the referee is looking at during the review or is it just easier to join a pile in on here because that's better than facing reality?

That is the typical pot 1 away trip we've seen before: solid performance, chances to win it then end up losing. The biggest difference is that would have seen us exit qualifying in previous campaigns, now we still have 3 chances and one of them doesn't even involve us!

Just want us to qualify so would take a Spain win on Sunday but hoping for the draw for the chance we can top the group without needing favours (apart from that being a favour!)

If it's offside and he's interfering with the GK, then surely they need to look at everything in the box. McGinn being fouled here before Henry is near the GK. 

Now I don't think this is a foul on McGinn as much as I don't think Henry is fouling the GK but the ref has set a precedent. 

Screenshot_20231013_094450_YouTube.jpg

One positive to come out of the game is that we haven't lost anyone to suspension. That's important because if we do need to get something in Georgia then we will have Porteous and Robertson available putting any injuries to one side for the moment.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't know how often it needs explained that all these different evidences of a foul being given that you quote are coming from the one incorrect source, but that's still the case. Do you really not think its obvious what the referee is looking at during the review or is it just easier to join a pile in on here because that's better than facing reality?

What once incorrect source has incorrectly shown the referee motioning for a foul and a free kick, the screen showing a check for a foul, and UEFAs communication that said it was ruled out for a foul? What incorrect source told John McGinn, before he had a chance to read P&B, that referee awarded a foul?

Just now, Bairnardo said:

What once incorrect source has incorrectly shown the referee motioning for a foul and a free kick, the screen showing a check for a foul, and UEFAs communication that said it was ruled out for a foul? What incorrect source told John McGinn, before he had a chance to read P&B, that referee awarded a foul?

See @craigkillie post for full explanation.

The referee's made an incorrect or misleading signal, it happens relatively often. He also gave a thrown in signal in the wrong direction last night at one point. the Control room then communicates in error that it's a foul. McGinn's got what he said from the sidelines or journalists. He never said the referee said on the pitch he'd awarded the foul (if in fact the referee did say that then you've got a point but that's not what McGinn actually said).

Notwithstanding any of that it's obvious from the images they show him on screen, which we can see, that it's a review for interference by an offside player that's going on.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

See @craigkillie post for full explanation.

The referee's made an incorrect or misleading signal, it happens relatively often. He also gave a thrown in signal in the wrong direction last night at one point. the Control room then communicates in error that it's a foul. McGinn's got what he said from the sidelines or journalists. He never said the referee said on the pitch he'd awarded the foul (if in fact the referee did say that then you've got a point but that's not what McGinn actually said).

Notwithstanding any of that it's obvious from the images they show him on screen, which we can see, that it's a review for interference by an offside player that's going on.

No, you are making inferences from what the TV cameras chose to show, of what the VAR chose to show, with no accompanying communication. The rest of us are taking what was communicated by the people involved at face value. 

There is absolutely nothing that justifies your various posts about how it's all just so obvious 

UEFA simply have to come out and explain why the goal was disallowed. Otherwise VAR is utterly pointless if it doesn't come with a degree of transparency.

At the goal, for those claiming that it's a foul, there are at least two stronger fouls being committed on Scotland players at the exact same time - and I don't particularly think either of those are fouls TBH.

I'm not for a single second buying that it was given for offside. That's not to say that he's not offside. But it absolutely definitely wasn't disallowed for offside as the on-field decision.

It's abundantly clear it was disallowed for a foul and then changed to offside retrospectively.

This needs to be clarified by UEFA and quick.

35 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

We didn't tend to play out and that's understandable because we'd probably end up in tricky situations and so ultimately I think our biggest issue in the game was trying to get the ball to stick when we played long. Dykes, McGinn, Christie and McTominay all struggled in that respect. I think the back-5 were all good and the front-5 did well defending, but the issue was just at this level we couldn't keep the ball enough which has to be solved if we want to compete with pot 1 teams. 

A bit disappointing imho.

A bit like the  England game

1 minute ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

How did McKenna get on last night ?

I thought he was good mate. Didn't stand out particularly, but he played his role well and helped us defensively. Strong in the air as you'd expect and I don't remember him being caught on the ball or getting beaten in a 1v1 so I'd say he did well and I'd be happy to see him continue against France.   

2 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

UEFA simply have to come out and explain why the goal was disallowed. Otherwise VAR is utterly pointless if it doesn't come with a degree of transparency.

At the goal, for those claiming that it's a foul, there are at least two stronger fouls being committed on Scotland players at the exact same time - and I don't particularly think either of those are fouls TBH.

I'm not for a single second buying that it was given for offside. That's not to say that he's not offside. But it absolutely definitely wasn't disallowed for offside as the on-field decision.

It's abundantly clear it was disallowed for a foul and then changed to offside retrospectively.

This needs to be clarified by UEFA and quick.

I don't think that's 'abundantly clear' at all, but I do agree it would be helpful if UEFA would release a statement to clarify what happened exactly. Those who want to believe it's a massive conspiracy will still believe so though and, as Howard Webb isn't in charge of VAR at UEFA, I doubt it will happen.

36 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I thought we did try to play out quite a bit initially and Hendry was the only one who looked good in those situations. I could be wrong though. 

15 minutes ago, pthardie said:

That is the typical pot 1 away trip we've seen before: solid performance, chances to win it then end up losing. The biggest difference is that would have seen us exit qualifying in previous campaigns, now we still have 3 chances and one of them doesn't even involve us!

This is a good point. I was thinking that we've seen those away games before, but it's worthwhile to put it into the overall context.