The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

• Ludo*1 changed the title to The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.
On 18/02/2023 at 04:06, Caledonian1 said:

Is a trillion such a big number?

If you piled £1 trillion in £10 notes the pile would be 10,000km high so £2.4 trillion would be 24,000 km high...so yes its a rather large number.

(only found out last week that £1m in £10 notes piled up would reach 10m...therefore £1 bn would be 10,000m (10km)

If you paid for HS2 for example in tenners the pile of cash would 107km high (so I hope the UK gov are not considering paying in fivers)

To put that into perspective the karman line ( where the Earths atmosphere ends and space begins ) is 62 miles (approximately 100km) above sea level. 

The HS2 pile of tenners would literally reach space. 

The trillion pile of tenners would stretch about 1/16th of the distance to the Moon. 

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

He's a bit meh, but Jesus you really seem to have an extreme dislike of the boy. How come? 

I dont know him on a personal level so my dislike is to do with his political performance, he truly is incompetent, arrogant and just an awful politician. Ive seen what his reign as transport, justice and health secretary has done to all those sectors and the absolute bin fire he leaves in his wake, as a politician everything he touches turns to shit. Im sure hes nice to his friends and all the rest, but this isnt about him being a nice guy or whatever people want to say about him, this is all of our futures in the hands of a man who hasnt delivered anything. I am genuinely terrified of how much of a mess he will make of this country. 

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ive seen what his reign as transport, justice and health secretary has done to all those sectors and the absolute bin fire he leaves in his wake

Looking at the UK as a whole, do you honestly think these sectors would have fared any better at those particular times under anybody else?

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I dont know him on a personal level so my dislike is to do with his political performance, he truly is incompetent, arrogant and just an awful politician. Ive seen what his reign as transport, justice and health secretary has done to all those sectors and the absolute bin fire he leaves in his wake, as a politician everything he touches turns to shit. Im sure hes nice to his friends and all the rest, but this isnt about him being a nice guy or whatever people want to say about him, this is all of our futures in the hands of a man who hasnt delivered anything. I am genuinely terrified of how much of a mess he will make of this country. 

😂 calm down ffs. 

10 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

Looking at the UK as a whole, do you honestly think these sectors would have fared any better at those particular times under anybody else?

This. Neither of those sectors can be saved by anything we do here in Scotland, regardless of who is in post. Both need massive investment that can only (but won’t) come from Westminster. It’s simply the result of constant cuts.

21 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

He is a bit underwhelming but not a disaster. Could do better, aye, but all these sectors are shitter in other parts of the UK. If you want it all hunky dory, move to Denmark or Norway.

1 hour ago, Crùbag said:

He is a bit underwhelming but not a disaster. Could do better, aye, but all these sectors are shitter in other parts of the UK. If you want it all hunky dory, move to Denmark or Norway.

Except they're not.

In my wee bit of Tory South Bucks the trains, buses and tubes run on time and the grammar schools offer a level of education that is admirable and aspirational.

Plus we're pretty-much Ned-free.  

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Except they're not.

In my wee bit of Tory South Bucks the trains, buses and tubes run on time and the grammar schools offer a level of education that is admirable and aspirational.

Plus we're pretty-much Ned-free.  

Well I’m sure they were until you arrived, cap in hand…

2 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

The council area i grew up in is considering shutting schools on a friday to cut costs, libraries shutting down all over, theres an 8 hour wait in the A&E forecasted at QEUH tonight, glasgow city council is cutting massive numbers of jobs in things such as addiction services/social care. Theres a whole lot of stuff that concerns me. Someone kinda flippantly laughed at me for suggesting im really worried for the future, im genuinely concerned that my wee boy will get a far poorer experience in education than I did. Im worried that if he ever needs an emergency ambulance he wont get one in time, im worried that the cancer that is going to kill my dad could have been caught earlier if his GP wasnt overwhelmed, under funded etc. Ive known people who’ve taken their lives because of worries about financial pressures/cost of living, unable to access mental health assistance. I’m seeing people dying in numbers due to the street valium epidemic (whilst at the same time we are seeing cuts in addiction services).
I worry that with the implication of criminal justice reforms riddled with loopholes that if a member of my family is ever the victim of crime that they may not get justice, and if they do ever get to give evidence in court they could be waiting 3 years to get there. It shouldnt come to my sons generation inheriting a society that’s worse than the one I did. 

So people can be flippant if they want or accuse me of exaggerating. Im not blind to the fact that some of these issues need addressed at UK level, but theres plenty there that the SNP has presided over, Yousaf and Forbes were at the heart of policy decisions, Yousaf moreso, he has his fingerprints on failings at 3 different portfolios. I genuinely care about what happens in this country, but if criticising it means you get shite like ‘f**k off to Norway’ trust me I absolutely would love to, but i cant. 

14 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The council area i grew up in is considering shutting schools on a friday to cut costs, libraries shutting down all over, theres an 8 hour wait in the A&E forecasted at QEUH tonight, glasgow city council is cutting massive numbers of jobs in things such as addiction services/social care. Theres a whole lot of stuff that concerns me. Someone kinda flippantly laughed at me for suggesting im really worried for the future, im genuinely concerned that my wee boy will get a far poorer experience in education than I did. Im worried that if he ever needs an emergency ambulance he wont get one in time, im worried that the cancer that is going to kill my dad could have been caught earlier if his GP wasnt overwhelmed, under funded etc. Ive known people who’ve taken their lives because of worries about financial pressures/cost of living, unable to access mental health assistance. I’m seeing people dying in numbers due to the street valium epidemic (whilst at the same time we are seeing cuts in addiction services).
I worry that with the implication of criminal justice reforms riddled with loopholes that if a member of my family is ever the victim of crime that they may not get justice, and if they do ever get to give evidence in court they could be waiting 3 years to get there. It shouldnt come to my sons generation inheriting a society that’s worse than the one I did. 

So people can be flippant if they want or accuse me of exaggerating. Im not blind to the fact that some of these issues need addressed at UK level, but theres plenty there that the SNP has presided over, Yousaf and Forbes were at the heart of policy decisions, Yousaf moreso, he has his fingerprints on failings at 3 different portfolios. I genuinely care about what happens in this country, but if criticising it means you get shite like ‘f**k off to Norway’ trust me I absolutely would love to, but i cant. 

Yes, it's all awful. I don't think anybody is arguing against that point. But you didn't answer my question. Would things have been any different under different people? Or is it ultimately futile for Scotland in the UK regardless of who is in charge of these sectors?

24 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

Yes, it's all awful. I don't think anybody is arguing against that point. But you didn't answer my question. Would things have been any different under different people? Or is it ultimately futile for Scotland in the UK regardless of who is in charge of these sectors?

Scotland is blessed - thanks to Barnett - with near Scandi levels of public financing.

That it has near-Malawi levels of service delivery is down to the Nats.

22 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

I think when it comes to a time like this you need a competent leader. Youre not going to get me arguing that Scotland is better in the UK, but we could make decisions which make things a bit better whilst trapped. 

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think when it comes to a time like this you need a competent leader. Youre not going to get me arguing that Scotland is better in the UK, but we could make decisions which make things a bit better whilst trapped. 

Could you give some examples of these decisions and your economic workings?