Curry House In Scotland Wins Best Awards

ZingaliMan

6 hours ago, Braesoyetts said:

Indian Cottage was good, though I didn't get down there much.  Regent Brasserie when first opened was decent.  My preference was the New Sahiwal up at Merkland (originally was at Townhead but I was too young to remember much about that).  Best chicken pakora I've ever had (though may not actually have been pakora at all....)  The place I'm thinking of was down at Eastside at the bottom of Hillhead Road, if I remember correctly.  Don't remember the name, but I do remember being unimpressed.

I have a friend who owns a few indian restaurants and told me that the indian cottage has a sink that they pour the curries in with a trap to catch the chicken that wasnt eaten?

2 hours ago, mathematics said:

I was in the Phat Bhoona in Paisley recently: would recommend.

I have tried this place too and honestly for a set lunch price it takes a lot of beating. 

49 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I have a friend who owns a few indian restaurants and told me that the indian cottage has a sink that they pour the curries in with a trap to catch the chicken that wasnt eaten?

I have tried this place too and honestly for a set lunch price it takes a lot of beating. 

I had couple takeaways from there before moved and tbh I wasn't as impressed as the hype.

Local takeaways in Erskine/bishopton aren't great but new chipper opened and it's decent.

24 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I had couple takeaways from there before moved and tbh I wasn't as impressed as the hype.

Local takeaways in Erskine/bishopton aren't great but new chipper opened and it's decent.

Theres a new indian opening in Bishopton , which will hopefully be better than the Bishopton Tandoori (which is also a chip shop?) which i wouldnt pay money for even if i was starving and everywhere else had no food. 
What chippy is it?

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Theres a new indian opening in Bishopton , which will hopefully be better than the Bishopton Tandoori (which is also a chip shop?) which i wouldnt pay money for even if i was starving and everywhere else had no food. 
What chippy is it?

When I moved here bushy tandoori was reccomended. They sent me a curry with rancid prawns. Is that where the equally terrible Angelinis was?

It's new one in Bargarran, where frying Scot was. I'm not a huge chipper fan but it is nice.

3 minutes ago, RH33 said:

When I moved here bushy tandoori was reccomended. They sent me a curry with rancid prawns. Is that where the equally terrible Angelinis was?

It's new one in Bargarran, where frying Scot was. I'm not a huge chipper fan but it is nice.

Iv not found a good one this side of the clyde. Yes Angelinis was utterly pish, hoping for a win. Would have rathered a mexican place or something. 

19 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Too serious dumb nuts ( not you mate ) take awards as gospel . But some trying to prove it's not gospel which it's not. However if good food is being produced as it is here let locals know that's the whole point.  It says the best Indian restaurant in Scotland. Nonsense there are plenty great Indian restaurants in Scotland. There is also shite ones in my experience. So if there is a promotion for good ones then nothing wrong with that. Italians are masters at deceiving as an apprentice I learned that early on.  

I do wonder about how awards affect local opinion,  word travels fast in local community and if somewhere does a good(or terrible) job it will be quickly known.   I’d think most people eating locally will either be going somewhere they have personally enjoyed or on the recommendation of another local.

For when you are eating outside of your normal area then reviews carry far more importance, and even then I’d prefer the word of a local.

The success of any restaurant is going to be how well they perform nightly and not just when someone with an agenda shows up.

With Indian food especially there seem to be so many variables that often it seems impossible to make exactly the same thing twice, and thus a lot of reviews might be based on a single time someone's tried the place.

Last weekend I had a curry from one of the local small takeaways on the main street - a keema dhansak madras - and it was absolutely excellent with a really good kick. An easy 8 or 9 out of 10, and would recommend in a minute. Whether it was a a case of a different cook being on with his own ideas on how to make it, whether it was a different balance of ingredients or whatever, I got the same thing again last night and it was mediocre at best....maybe 5 or 6 out of 10 at a push. Based on those two occasions, the truth's probably somewhere in the middle of the two extremes...maybe a 6.5 or 7.

I love a lamb chasni, but not everywhere does one.  In Darlington next weekend (long story) and booked a curry house on Friday night, messaged them and they are going to rustle up a chasni,  even though it's not on the menu.  

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

With Indian food especially there seem to be so many variables that often it seems impossible to make exactly the same thing twice, and thus a lot of reviews might be based on a single time someone's tried the place.

Last weekend I had a curry from one of the local small takeaways on the main street - a keema dhansak madras - and it was absolutely excellent with a really good kick. An easy 8 or 9 out of 10, and would recommend in a minute. Whether it was a a case of a different cook being on with his own ideas on how to make it, whether it was a different balance of ingredients or whatever, I got the same thing again last night and it was mediocre at best....maybe 5 or 6 out of 10 at a push. Based on those two occasions, the truth's probably somewhere in the middle of the two extremes...maybe a 6.5 or 7.

There’s also a personal element to take into account, and not just different individuals but depending on mood, time of day what I’ve eaten the last month etc can change the opinion on a meal.    It’s a very difficult thing to be scientific about.    We just have a range from sometimes good, sometimes awesome down to sometimes edible and sometimes spew worthy.