Contractual Obligation -Celtic v Heart of Midlothian

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Quite funny to see how a lot of the Celtic support reaction (from a brief cruise of Twitter, KDS, texts from Celtic fans I know) is that they're pleased that they can rotate the team and beat the side in third quite comfortably.

Absolutely none of them seem to have noticed that Hearts were absolutely nowhere near full strength either, through a combination of injuries and rotation.

We're third in the league and they have absolutely no idea who our players are.

There's something particularly ludicrous about the richest team in the country, with a side full of internationals and players bought for lots of money being chuffed about rotating their squad to beat a side who, while already missing Boyce, Baningime, Gordon Snodgrass, Halkett, Haring, and Shankland through injury, didn't start McKay or Kingsley or Humphries or Cochrane (possibly injured? I lose track).

But, aye, the story here is good rotation from Celtic. How did they manage it? 😀

The lengths they go to to validate these wins is quite pitiful. It's like Hearts resting a few players and being chuffed to knock an under-strength Raith Rovers out the cup at Tynecastle.

I remember after we went to Tynecastle recently a certain Celtic fan on here made a big deal about the Hearts line up following the match, basically writing off our good performance due to it. I wonder if they felt the same about last night.

Edited by AJF

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Quite funny to see how a lot of the Celtic support reaction (from a brief cruise of Twitter, KDS, texts from Celtic fans I know) is that they're pleased that they can rotate the team and beat the side in third quite comfortably.

Absolutely none of them seem to have noticed that Hearts were absolutely nowhere near full strength either, through a combination of injuries and rotation.

We're third in the league and they have absolutely no idea who our players are.

There's something particularly ludicrous about the richest team in the country, with a side full of internationals and players bought for lots of money being chuffed about rotating their squad to beat a side who, while already missing Boyce, Baningime, Gordon Snodgrass, Halkett, Haring, and Shankland through injury, didn't start McKay or Kingsley or Humphries or Cochrane (possibly injured? I lose track).

But, aye, the story here is good rotation from Celtic. How did they manage it? 😀

The lengths they go to to validate these wins is quite pitiful. It's like Hearts resting a few players and being chuffed to knock an under-strength Raith Rovers out the cup at Tynecastle.

Why does the win need validated and why should anyone ever feel a need to be embarrassed about having a strong squad which helps them do what they set out to do?

22 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Why does the win need validated and why should anyone ever feel a need to be embarrassed about having a strong squad which helps them do what they set out to do?

There’s a few on here who get a hard on for all things Celtic, none more so than Kevin and Vincent. Absolute weirdo behaviour. 

2 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Never said anyone should.

Just pointed out that the narrative that Wednesday was a success in terms of Celtic's ability to rotate shows complete ignorance of the side they were playing against.

Hearts were missing (through injury and rotation) twelve players by my count. And Celtic fans didn't even notice.

Maybe you've seen it, but I've seen or heard nothing from any Celtic source along the lines of, 'fine, but you need to take into account what we were playing against'. The reason for this is that they do not know they were playing an under-strength side. If Hearts pumped Aberdeen and they were missing a sack-full of players, we'd enjoy it, but we'd also be aware of it when discussing the games. Celtic fans know nothing about the league their team plays in.

The need for validation is something only Celtic fans can address, but it's there for all to see. You beat a side with approximately a seventh of your budget who were twelve players off their best team.

Edited by VincentGuerin

12 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Never said anyone should.

Just pointed out that the narrative that Wednesday was a success in terms of Celtic's ability to rotate shows complete ignorance of the side they were playing against.

Hearts were missing (through injury and rotation) twelve players by my count. And Celtic fans didn't even notice.

Should we notice or should our focus be on our own team? I genuinely wouldn’t expect anyone to notice what injuries we have or to care being honest. Whilst it adds context ultimately the job is to just play the team in front of you and win the 3 points and if we do that then we should be satisfied.

Whilst I get the bravado considering that context and that it may rub people up the wrong way but is it that big of a deal?

Edited by Jinky67

10 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Should we notice or should our focus be on our own team? I genuinely wouldn’t expect anyone to notice what injuries we have or to care being honest. Whilst it adds context ultimately the job is to just play the team in front of you and win the 3 points and if we do that then we should be satisfied.

Whilst I get the bravado considering that context and that it may rub people up the wrong way but is it that big of a deal?

Well, football's a game with two teams. And if you're going to engage with it, it makes sense to do so in that context.

The team you're playing is a factor in your team's performance, as we found out when Celtic didn't appear quite so handy in the Champions League.

I think you're missing the point. It's not that it is or isn't a big deal, but it's another example of why discussing our league with Old Firm fans is a waste of time. You basically don't know what you're talking about. The latest evidence being that it has completely escaped any Celtic coverage of this match that the Hearts team (third in the league) they just played was missing more than a full team of players.

I did actually post in another thread recently in relation to this match that Celtic fans would have no idea who any of our players were, and I've been shown to be correct. Again, we're third in the league. Do you know any players at all from teams in the bottom half?

For example, were Hearts to play Chelsea in next season's Conference League and get a result against a bunch of their teenagers, we would look daft acting as if we'd just beaten their first team. But I'd like to think we'd at least notice.

Edited by VincentGuerin

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Well, football's a game with two teams. And if you're going to engage with it, it makes sense to do so in that context.

The team you're playing is a factor in your team's performance, as we found out when Celtic didn't appear quite so handy in the Champions League.

I think you're missing the point. It's not that it is or isn't a big deal, but it's another example of why discussing our league with Old Firm fans is a waste of time. You basically don't know what you're talking about. The latest evidence being that it has completely escaped any Celtic coverage of this match that the Hearts team (third in the league) they just played was missing more than a full team of players.

I did actually post in another thread recently in relation to this match that Celtic fans would have no idea who any of our players were, and I've been shown to be correct. Again, we're third in the league. Do you know any players at all from teams in the bottom half?

For example, were Hearts to play Chelsea in next season's Conference League and get a result against a bunch of their teenagers, we would look daft acting as if we'd just beaten their first team. But I'd like to think we'd at least notice.

Wednesday was the 100th time I've seen Celtic-Hearts in the league, my first game was a 6-0 win in 1981 so you could say nothing much has changed but football in the last 30 years as we know has changed due to TV money and now most leagues throughout Europe only has two clubs capable of winning their league title.

3 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Your first comment after we beat Hearts 3-0 at Tynecastle on the 1st of Feb was about the Hearts lineup 😂

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Your first comment after we beat Hearts 3-0 at Tynecastle on the 1st of Feb was about the Hearts lineup 😂

Even Hearts fans that night were ripping into Neilsons selection and formation. They couldn’t work out what he doing either so the result was a bit of an inevitability as it was the other night but I’m still going to take the opportunity to rip the pish, isn’t it what we do here? Yes. Does it make me a bit of a hypocrite? Probably. Do i care that much? Absolutely fucking not 😉

Deep down you just aren’t happy I wasn’t fawning over Beale ball 😛

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Mate I saw your team and had every confidence we would win the game. I was surprised to see you take the lead as I’m sure you were but I still fancied us to win comfortably against a side without a few of your key players but here is where you also miss the point.

We have been prone in the past to rotating and coming a bit unstuck even against teams struggling themselves. That didn’t happen the other night despite the early setback so I’m pleased about that as it shows some progress 

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Mate I saw your team and had every confidence we would win the game. I was surprised to see you take the lead as I’m sure you were but I still fancied us to win comfortably against a side without a few of your key players but here is where you also miss the point.

We have been prone in the past to rotating and coming a bit unstuck even against teams struggling themselves. That didn’t happen the other night despite the early setback so I’m pleased about that as it shows some progress 

Are you talking about home games as the other night was at Celtic Park ? How far you going back ? Is your domestic record not something mental like 1 defeat in 3 years ?