Scotland v Cyprus 25/03/23

TheScarf

It was 3-1 v Spain 

People forget that Dalglish was well past his best when he scored *that* goal that night

Steve Archibald was the top striker in La Liga that season with Barcelona. Can you you imagine that?

Graeme Sharp was at the peak of his powers with the greatest ever Everton side. Not quoted

Gordon Strachan was on the bench

Alan Hansen didn’t even make the bench

I was there that night, I went expecting to win, we overran them, we won

its incredible 

20 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

It was 3-1 v Spain 

People forget that Dalglish was well past his best when he scored *that* goal that night

Steve Archibald was the top striker in La Liga that season with Barcelona. Can you you imagine that?

Graeme Sharp was at the peak of his powers with the greatest ever Everton side. Not quoted

its incredible 

We were the equivalent of your modern day Croatia 

Hell of a fall

23 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

It was 3-1 v Spain 

its incredible 

Was the conundrum back then we could not have WGS in the same midfield as S**n*ss ?

3 minutes ago, Binos said:

We were the equivalent of your modern day Croatia 

Hell of a fall

Not quite.

We always qualified for the World Cup, but never got past the groups.  We also never made the Euros in the days before anyone called them the Euros.

I've a feeling Croatia have achieved a bit more than that in their brief footballing history.

26 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

It was 3-1 v Spain 

its incredible 

Can you imagine Steve Archibald scoring for us against Spain in Spain ?

What powers ?

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Did he manage to get you up to the top half of the big league?

Genuine hero....

I wasn't meaning he was a Dundee hero although, what a player, and he was definitely a personal hero growing up. Just a genuine hero of a character in the game.

I take it you wouldn't define Goran Stanic or Jason Scotland as St Johnstone heroes?

5 hours ago, Venti said:

Wonder what the restrictions on masks are.

Waiting for someone to go full blown Bane or Phantom of the Opera.

Saw this looking back on the thread. Is this a joke or are there actually restrictions? I went to one of our games last year at Hampden and didn't see a single mask.

2 minutes ago, QwaarJet said:

Saw this looking back on the thread. Is this a joke or are there actually restrictions? I went to one of our games last year at Hampden and didn't see a single mask.

Right, I really hope that this actually is a joke.

Elixir is busy enough.

Just back in. It wasn’t the most interesting game and we were much too slow at playing it about, the grass looked heavy as f**k as well, didn’t look like the ball was running well.

Saying that, we never felt like we were in much danger of conceding, had almost total control of the game and came away with 3 goals. Not complaining at that.

Just now, Jambomo said:

Just back in. It wasn’t the most interesting game and we were much too slow at playing it about, the grass looked heavy as f**k as well, didn’t look like the ball was running well.

Saying that, we never felt like we were in much danger of conceding, had almost total control of the game and came away with 3 goals. Not complaining at that.

Yeah, noticed that. Players were slipping quite frequently. Most noticable obviously being Gunn when he got off with one, but it was happening quite a bit almost as if the ball was sticking at times.

It seemed like nothing really happened in the game yet we've won by three goals. Just a meh game that won't be remembered and I'm fine with that. Was there with two nieces and a nephew who all enjoyed themselves so hopefully they'll be hooked. I'm up for them having a bit of misery in their lives like their dads and I. 

When I was in the queue for the train at Central, I saw Ian Blackford of the snp making his way to join the back. He obviously follows the David Beckham attitude to queuing rather than the Phil and Holly one.

25 minutes ago, QwaarJet said:

Pretty sure they were talking about the masks that players sometimes wear. Like the one Callum McGregor was wearing for ages.

Just back from Hampden so haven't seen any highlights. As others have said it was an unfussy but decent performance from Scotland. All three goals in my mind were really good and all good finishes. You couldn't really pick out a man of the match and my only real gripe was Jack, who I thought was awful, everyone else a decent performance. 

5 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Clark and Kelly must be so disappointed for Clarke to treat them like this. Shocking. One of them deserved the jersey.

Neither Clark nor Kelly are anywhere near international standard. Thank goodness Stevie Clarke has found Angus Gunn.

8 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Clark and Kelly must be so disappointed for Clarke to treat them like this. Shocking. One of them deserved the jersey.

Did they? Kelly's been quite pish as of late for Motherwell and Clark might feel slightly aggrieved, but he was in the media last week saying his aim was just to make the squad and that, 'As I said, we will have a week of training to show the manager and Chris Woods, the goalkeeper coach, who will be looking at what we can bring to the table. It is up to myself, Angus and Liam to prove that one of us is ready to step in and do that job that Craigy, Greegsy and Marsh have filled for the past 15 years.'

One cap doesn't mean the battle is over.

Gunn could very easily have an absolute serious nightmare against Spain and it'll be Clark's to lose at that point.*

*But hopefully Gordon will be back by then because Clark is nowhere near the required level.

Edited by Ludo*1

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not quite.

We always qualified for the World Cup, but never got past the groups.  We also never made the Euros in the days before anyone called them the Euros.

I've a feeling Croatia have achieved a bit more than that in their brief footballing history.

Quality of players 

Which we famously underperformed with at the time