Scotland v Cyprus 25/03/23

TheScarf

1 hour ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Can you imagine Steve Archibald scoring for us against Spain in Spain ?

What powers ?

There was doubt about whether Archibald would start in the return game in Spain - despite him being top scorer in La Liga with Barcelona

Despite being top scorer in Spain I always remember the top question at the pre match conference from a Spanish journalist to Archibald 

“what do you actually do in matches… apart from score all those goals”

22 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Clark and Kelly must be so disappointed for Clarke to treat them like this. Shocking. One of them deserved the jersey.

They know the score

Same as shankland and nisbet do with adams dykes

We've always had keepers who are regularly called up without getting a realistic sniff of a cap - I'd imagine most countries do. It's unfortunate, but they just have to be happy with being a positive part of the squad. After all, there are players at clubs who sit on the bench for their entire careers, happy just to earn big money as reliable short-term cover.

If he'd been allowed, I wonder if Kris Boyd would have switched to someone like Northern Ireland if they'd promised him a permanent starting place.

17 minutes ago, Binos said:

Quality of players 

Which we famously underperformed with at the time 

Debatable.

I maintain that it wasn't fanciful to hope for more of the '78 squad than it delivered.  Otherwise, qualifying was good and with better luck we might have got quite far.  

I really don't think any meaningful parallels with modern Croatia sides can be traced though.

They've had some excellent players but have also punched well above their weight.  We never have.

33 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Clark and Kelly must be so disappointed for Clarke to treat them like this. Shocking. One of them deserved the jersey.

I’d love to sit on the bench for my country. I’m sure they’ll be absolutely raging.

Not often we start the qualifiers with a win never mind a 3-0 win.

we started off really high tempo but final ball was poor all day, most passes/crosses over hit. It’s not a coincidence that the first decent through ball (which we tried all day) got us the first goal. 
same with the second, we must’ve put in 4/5 crosses that flew the box then one decent ball and we score.

I didn’t expect us to win comfortably as Cyprus have always given us a game but credit to Scotland we got the goal and they hardly had a sniff. The 2 late goals will be a confidence boost.

thought hickey and porteous were good, dykes and mctominay good when they came on.

I think Mctominay might come in for jack on Tuesday not because jack was bad today because he was decent but Mctominay  more used to that level, and he’s faster taller and stronger

I regularly see clips of Andy Robertson whipping in superb crosses for Liverpool but I never actually watch their games. I thought his crosses were poor today. So my question is, does he have a poor cross ratio in the epl?

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Just back in. It wasn’t the most interesting game and we were much too slow at playing it about, the grass looked heavy as f**k as well, didn’t look like the ball was running well.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yeah, noticed that. Players were slipping quite frequently. Most noticable obviously being Gunn when he got off with one, but it was happening quite a bit almost as if the ball was sticking at times.

Indeed - I posted about it during the game. I wonder if the grass was kept long with an eye on Tuesday? Spain would prefer it to be like a carpet you'd imagine, and if they can't zip the ball about as quickly as they'd like it might upset their rhythm?

52 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

'As I said, we will have a week of training to show the manager and Chris Woods, the goalkeeper coach, who will be looking at what we can bring to the table. It is up to myself, Angus and Liam to prove that one of us is ready to step in and do that job that Craigy, Greegsy and Marsh have filled for the past 15 years.'

I thought that's who it was. Must have missed that appointment. 

10 minutes ago, microdave said:

I regularly see clips of Andy Robertson whipping in superb crosses for Liverpool but I never actually watch their games. I thought his crosses were poor today. So my question is, does he have a poor cross ratio in the epl?

He has the likes of Salah appearing when he crosses when he plays for Liverpool 

that McGinn made it today you should be grateful 

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Indeed - I posted about it during the game. I wonder if the grass was kept long with an eye on Tuesday? Spain would prefer it to be like a carpet you'd imagine, and if they can't zip the ball about as quickly as they'd like it might upset their rhythm?

I thought that's who it was. Must have missed that appointment. 

Announced same time as a previous Clarke extension.

Was also a GK coach for Team USA around the time of the 1-5 scudding in Jacksonville.

5 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

He has the likes of Salah appearing when he crosses when he plays for Liverpool 

that McGinn made it today you should be grateful 

I'm very grateful that McGinn made it but Salah wouldn't have a chance if the ball goes out for a throw in.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Might well be biased here but Gogic was the best player on the park for my money.

I have to confess my friends and I hadn’t realised who he was during the match but we were talking about how well he was playing. He was their best player today. 

20 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Might well be biased here but Gogic was the best player on the park for my money.

Would have happily kept him at Hibs as a back up. 

McGinn and Gogic swapping shirts. :wub:

Edited by Lyle Lanley