Who’s best equipped to go up and stay up?

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Do you enjoy watching St Mirren play the same small cluster of teams 5 or 6 times a season? Wouldn’t you rather have more variety of opponent?

Small leagues are pish. They lead to lack of variety and turgid football.

I know it’s never going to change in the top flight while the bigot brothers still exist in our game, but there’s no reason to have boring 10-team divisions below.

I fcuking hate the 4 times a season. It’s  fcuking boring and repetitive. And then there is the possibility of meeting in the cup tournaments. 

The club owners in the top flight won’t ever vote for change.

I wonder why? 

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

I don’t understand the mentality some folk have that every game needs to be a matter of life or death.

Quite often when games do have a lot riding on them, it means they’re negative, dull affairs because the teams are too scared to try and play football.

46 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I fcuking hate the 4 times a season. It’s  fcuking boring and repetitive. And then there is the possibility of meeting in the cup tournaments. 

The club owners in the top flight won’t ever vote for change.

I wonder why? 

It’s even worse in the lower leagues nowadays with the League Cup group stages/knockouts and the playoffs.

Its technically possible for a Championship team to meet another Championship 10 times in a season now.

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I don’t understand the mentality some folk have that every game needs to be a matter of life or death.

Totally agree. I would argue that games for St Johnstone, Livingston and to a lesser extent St Mirren are already close to being “meaningless” but it won’t stop their fans from turning up every week or being as happy/annoyed depending on whether they’ve won or lost.

ETA - I’ve never heard someone going “ah this game is only to find out who finishes 5th and who finishes 6th I’m not bothered about it”.

Edited by Sortmeout

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

It’s even worse in the lower leagues nowadays with the League Cup group stages/knockouts and the playoffs.

Its technically possible for a Championship team to meet another Championship 10 times in a season now.

Did we play Airdrie eight times last year?? We finished 21 points behind them and didn't beat them over 90 minutes once........and yet here we are....... Glorious!

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Who is best equipped for promotion…no one. That’s the basic problem with fitba, isn’t it. The Premiership is designed like a very nice club, with all the members eager for the occasional new member to drain dry and discard. It’s like a sleigh-load of people rushing through the woods being chased by wolves, they have to toss someone off now and then to lighten the load and slow the wolves down…then they get a little breathing room and someone new parachutes onto the back, slowing them down again. At that point, the new arrival has to fight their way forward to survive and push another off the back. On the whole, you might argue for Dundee, as the best of a load of bad choices.

Queen’s can’t be best equipped because their home ground is the most spectacular clusterf**k since Operation Barbarossa.

Dundee can be questioned as the best equipped because of a yo-yo propensity, indicative of a club management scheme that is dysfunctional.

Ayr’s stumbling efforts of recent times raise questions of management and ownership commitment.

Partick are still in the middle of whatever the hell is going on with their management and ownership structure.

Morton are now “fan owned”, and unlikely to have the necessary resources.

Raith are in what seems to be their traditional ownership waffle with financial concerns.

ICT are reputed to make Raith, at least financially, look stable and secure.

Cove have proven they are probably not ready for the Championship, let alone the Premiership.

Arbroath’s team has aged out, and the rebuild isn’t going to plan.

The Accies have management that makes the incompetence at SVB look positively good by comparison, and appear on a trajectory for the Lowland a league.

I’m curious as to how you think there’s questions over our ownership? 

Dundee and Partick, while QP are obviously a total wild card in that respect, but I'mma go ahead and say no, they wouldn't stay there. Tbh, I've already stated that I think this year's league winners will likely go straight down, so hardly breaking ground here.

ICT would easily stay up, regaining the natural order ahead of County, finish in the top six and once again being feared by Celtic. They still have nightmares about us.

Its only this current tricky first obstacle we need to overcome.

18 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Compare the English Premier League with the Scottish Premiership from 10 years ago. How many teams were in the league in 2013 but aren't in them now?

Scotland: 2 

England: 8

The fact is that the Scottish top-flight has barely changed face over the past 10 years whilst in England there's a significant difference, thanks to the greater number of relegation spots which provide a better chance of fresh faces entering the league. There's only 5 teams from the past decade that have played in the Scottish top flight who aren't there just now! Hopefully Queens Park will buck the trend this season but even still, we are crying out for a more exciting league system than this.

This was something I noticed recently with us playing in the Championship, the variety of teams we can and have played is much greater. 

In our last spell (2010-2017) in the Premiership we played 15 different clubs.

Currently, we’ve been in the Championship for 6 years and we’ve played 21 different teams over those 6 years. Comparing our first season down to this one, only ourselves and Morton have remained in the league for those 6 seasons.

For me personally I like going to new grounds so being in the Championship is pretty good in that regard

53 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

ICT would easily stay up, regaining the natural order ahead of County, finish in the top six and once again being feared by Celtic. They still have nightmares about us.

Its only this current tricky first obstacle we need to overcome.

Avoiding going bust?

18 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Avoiding going bust?

Avoiding going bust or more likely administration could be avoided by a series of this wild occurance called winning matches and enough accumilation of this rare occurance to win promotion. However more likely we could be the next Dunfermline Athletic and spend the next 10 years in a similar position.

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Right 

Still wondering why you’d question the commitment of David Smith? 

It was an opinion offered based upon recent seasons results and the comment from Ayr fans regarding the January window, all of which suggested a club relatively happen with Championship football and not driven to seek the Premiership. I have no special insight, your viewpoint is as valid, wish to share why?

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

It was an opinion offered based upon recent seasons results and the comment from Ayr fans regarding the January window, all of which suggested a club relatively happen with Championship football and not driven to seek the Premiership. I have no special insight, your viewpoint is as valid, wish to share why?

Ayr fans talk pish on that front. They’ve been saying the club don’t want promotion for years. 

We didn’t have any money to spend in the summer as we’d spent all our budget in the summer which is something that had been agreed upon by the manager, chairman and managing director. There’s absolutely no doubt that that end goal for the club is getting promoted and trying to stay there. We’re a long way off it but we’re closer than we were when Smith bought the club. 

I suppose if we're looking for a club with a fresh approach to go up, it would be Queen's Park. I am not one who compares them to Gretna, who were someone's very false idea of a fairy story, Queen's have a history as a famous club so there's no comparison. I'd also like to see Morton go up of course, and I think we could also offer something a bit different with our old style terracing, if that's still allowed. My next choice would be Ayr, who have had a similar or even longer time away from the top division, and have a similar stadium and fan base to Morton. 

If there's any club that should go up and stay there its Dundee. One of the great mysteries of Scottish football is why a club the size of Kilmarnock and Motherwell can't gain a long term foothold in the top flight.

I would like to see Ayr or Morton getting a shot in the top flight its been a few generations since the last time they were in the top flight. If Hamilton can do it why not?

I would love to see one of the current non league outfits such as Talbot or Linlithgow Rose cut through the leagues and go up into the top flight for a season or two. Probably won't happen the way the OF are pissing about with their B teams.

Always had a soft spot for Albion Rovers, would like to see them gain some momentum and fire though the chaff and make it back up into the top flight. Non believers have them down as LL fodder just now. Lanarkshire is not all about Motherwell and the Nazis of Airdrie.

Edited by approximately dave