City (Cup) of Wonders

23 minutes ago, ACX2208 said:

Any idea of where to find the previous winners of this cup?

East of Scotland Shield (sfha.org.uk)

image.thumb.png.63d0c14e77fa69a32f0377960e43e337.png

There are a couple of errors in this listing: Whitehill won in 1999-00 not Berwick (indeed Welfare beat them in SF then Livingston in Final) and 2018-19 got abandoned for national emergency (LTHV were not even involved)

Cup itself is only inscribed from 1946-47, having been stolen and buried in an embankment during WWII... and has 2 wins for Eyemouth in late 1950s, as well as occasional discrepancies in years as simply given in form '2024':

image.thumb.png.38fc18792b42ca441ce473f09d7b5a8c.png

image.thumb.png.ee29c13cbec420c3369a56c2dd9213e2.png

image.thumb.png.16a1e3f5b08b00cd3c748f6d63989fb7.png

image.thumb.png.400d24cc7379646b7a9bed90074a35b0.png

20 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Meadowbank's 1995 win was their last ever game as a club.

No, it wasn''t. They're still going - albeit under a different name and at a different location.

21 hours ago, rockson said:

No, it wasn''t. They're still going - albeit under a different name and at a different location.

As far as we are concerned they are as dead as Rangers. 

On 10/03/2024 at 16:23, HibeeJibee said:

East of Scotland Shield (sfha.org.uk)

image.thumb.png.63d0c14e77fa69a32f0377960e43e337.png

There are a couple of errors in this listing: Whitehill won in 1999-00 not Berwick (indeed Welfare beat them in SF then Livingston in Final) and 2018-19 got abandoned for national emergency (LTHV were not even involved)

Cup itself is only inscribed from 1946-47, having been stolen and buried in an embankment during WWII... and has 2 wins for Eyemouth in late 1950s, as well as occasional discrepancies in years as simply given in form '2024':

image.thumb.png.ee29c13cbec420c3369a56c2dd9213e2.png

image.thumb.png.16a1e3f5b08b00cd3c748f6d63989fb7.png

image.thumb.png.400d24cc7379646b7a9bed90074a35b0.png

I'm currently reviewing the site's content (the Scottish Combination and Scottish Union leagues have had a few adjustments and will be posted soon) but I'll adjust the City Cup winner's list ASAP. It's likely it's a copy and paste error.

On 28/03/2024 at 17:42, Carmel Wafer said:

At least it’s not being played on a ploughed field this year 

Call that a ploughed field, lad? Bloody bowling green that. Let me tell you of the Cup Final we lost at Saughton Enclosure one year.. 

Posted (edited)
On 10/03/2024 at 16:23, HibeeJibee said:

On 21/03/2024 at 16:46, sfha said:

I'm currently reviewing the site's content (the Scottish Combination and Scottish Union leagues have had a few adjustments and will be posted soon) but I'll adjust the City Cup winner's list ASAP. It's likely it's a copy and paste error.

I do not have a photo, but worth adding that while the 'front' face of the cup says:

ESFA
CITY CUP

(which date presumably relates to it being restored after spending the war years in a hole); the 'back' face says in more old-fashioned typeface:

EDINBURGH FOOTBALL
ASSOCIATION
2ND ELEVEN CHALLENGE
TROPHY

This corroborates references that after the Edinburgh 2nd XI Cup was abolished in 1899, the trophy was offered up by Hearts (who were its last winners) for new East of Scotland Cup which began in 1903 aka 'City Cup'.

Its shape and appearance are also pretty recognisable in Hibs team photos dating from 1882 (on p8 of Mackay's Hibernian: The Complete Story) - and from 1884 (in the centrefold of Lugton's The Making of Hibernian: the Harp Awakens).

Edited by HibeeJibee

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I do not have a photo, but worth adding that while the 'front' face of the cup says:

ESFA
CITY CUP

(which date presumably relates to it being restored after spending the war years in a hole); the 'back' face says in more old-fashioned typeface:

EDINBURGH FOOTBALL
ASSOCIATION
2ND ELEVEN CHALLENGE
TROPHY

This corroborates references that after the Edinburgh 2nd XI Cup was abolished in 1899, the trophy was offered up by Hearts (who were its last winners) for new East of Scotland Cup which began in 1903 aka 'City Cup'.

Its shape and appearance are also pretty recognisable in Hibs team photos dating from 1882 (on p8 of Mackay's Hibernian: The Complete Story) - and from 1884 (in the centrefold of Lugton's The Making of Hibernian: the Harp Awakens).

Does that make it one of the oldest trophies still being used in Scottish Football? The Scottish Cup is old but a replica gets presented to the winning club these days. I have seen some fine SOSL trophies that looked pretty old but whether they are older than 1882 I don't know. 

On 30/03/2024 at 21:15, tamthebam said:

Does that make it one of the oldest trophies still being used in Scottish Football? The Scottish Cup is old but a replica gets presented to the winning club these days. I have seen some fine SOSL trophies that looked pretty old but whether they are older than 1882 I don't know. 

Possibly. Hibs are reported as winners in 1878 (so far I haven't uncovered any results for this season) and the competition stuttered to an end in 1899, only two clubs competed for it in the last two editions in 1897 and 1899.

Edited by sfha

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

16 hours ago, sfha said:

Possibly. Hibs are reported as winners in 1879 (so far I haven't uncovered any results for this season) and the competition stuttered to an end in 1899, only two clubs competed for it in the last two editions in 1897 and 1899.

Hibs appear to have been presented with the original Edinburgh 2nd XI Cup pictured here:

images+%25285%2529.jpg

in 1880 or 1881 having won it 3 times running in same way they won the original Edinburgh Cup outright with it being replaced by the Edinburgh (now East of Scotland) Shield.

I'd therefore assume original Edinburgh 2nd XI Cup from 1877 is in Hibs trophy room - as I think the Edinburgh Cup is.

With thanks to the Hibs Historical Trust, from the Hibs Trophy room...

The Edinburgh Cup and 2nd XI cup

The City Cup is definitely NOT the original 2nd XI trophy, which, as HJ correctly assumed, was awarded outright for their 3rd win.

image5.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Victory for the Uni last night! 1-0 against their "hosts" in a Cup Final.

Out of curiosity, why was Meadowbank chosen as the venue? Given it's probably the worst venue in Scottish footballs top 5 leagues (at least) and meant it wasn't a neutral venue, it seems a pretty odd choice. Plenty grounds between Edinburgh and Stirling to choose from!

Anyone at the game? What kind of side did City put out? I would guess they were gonna take it quite seriously to try and get a win...

Congratulations Stirling Uni.

2 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Victory for the Uni last night! 1-0 against their "hosts" in a Cup Final.

Out of curiosity, why was Meadowbank chosen as the venue? Given it's probably the worst venue in Scottish footballs top 5 leagues (at least) and meant it wasn't a neutral venue, it seems a pretty odd choice. Plenty grounds between Edinburgh and Stirling to choose from!

Anyone at the game? What kind of side did City put out? I would guess they were gonna take it quite seriously to try and get a win...

Congratulations Stirling Uni.

I'm sure hibbee says if one of the sides who aren't qualifiers gets to final they are at home and theirs no extra time just pens

1 hour ago, searchers1963 said:

I'm sure hibbee says if one of the sides who aren't qualifiers gets to final they are at home and theirs no extra time just pens

I guess fair enough if it's generally the known rules.

It maybe just needs updating in rulebook with a "unless home stadium is Meadowbank"

the plot thickens

Thanks to Old Man Bam being a watcher of the Antiques Roadshow when we were kids (we called it the Old Junk Roadshow) I did pick up some rudimentary knowledge regarding silver hallmarks. For those who don't know hallmarks on silver are used to certify that a piece is actually genuine silver and not some ersatz rubbish. 

I had a shufty at the hallmarks on the City Cup last night:

There is a head of Queen Victoria so the Cup was made in the reign of Queen Victoria

There is a Thistle so the Cup is Scottish

There is a Castle so the Cup was made in Edinburgh (the castle being the hallmark for Edinburgh. Should you ever see an anchor mark that is for Birmingham, oddly enough!)

There is a makers' mark which I can't remember exactly what it was. I think it was the mark for Mackay and Cunningham who were apparently an Edinburgh jewellers. James Hamilton worked for them until 1866 when he went into partnership with his nephew Robert Inches to form Hamilton & Inches who still exist. There may still be in existence order books for Mackay and Cunningham but that's beyond my ken. 

There is a date mark- each year has it's own letter and on the City Cup is a capital Y. This corresponds to the year 1880-81 which gives credence to the suggestion that it was a replacement Second XI Cup. 

So the actual silver cup is 144 years old. Those students better take care of it!