City (Cup) of Wonders

I went along to this to see the new Meadowbank

its not as bad as some have made out, we were in the back row and able to stand up so the whole thing did not seem miles away.

The crowd was a lot bigger than i has expected, i also think that was the case with the catering as by half time they had ran out of everything bar tea and coffee (with complimentary biscuit) but we could hear them then say they could only offer black tea or coffee not long after that.

The game only really came to life near the end 

The Edinburgh ultras were in the McDonald's opposite the stadium after the game just making as much mess as they possibly could until a local challenged them. They were all mouthy in the restaurant but legged it along the road as he chased them as they all left at once. Probably the highlight of a wet night. 

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

I went along to this to see the new Meadowbank

its not as bad as some have made out, we were in the back row and able to stand up so the whole thing did not seem miles away.

The crowd was a lot bigger than i has expected, i also think that was the case with the catering as by half time they had ran out of everything bar tea and coffee (with complimentary biscuit) but we could hear them then say they could only offer black tea or coffee not long after that.

The game only really came to life near the end 

The Edinburgh ultras were in the McDonald's opposite the stadium after the game just making as much mess as they possibly could until a local challenged them. They were all mouthy in the restaurant but legged it along the road as he chased them as they all left at once. Probably the highlight of a wet night. 

A polis car then turned up... probably half an hour after the event! 

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

A polis car then turned up... probably half an hour after the event! 

The odd thing was the staff were defending the lads not having seen the amount of waste and mess they were making and 3 times called the man away from the kids.

i felt sorry for the 2 lads who looked about 18 who were sent out to clean up the mess of condiments and food they had smeared over the surfaces that the staff cannot see from the desk.

Wonder if they will turn up on Saturday for the game when Blair isn’t there with his camera to make them famous for 5 seconds?

My daughter knows a bunch of them from her year at school, so makes the kids 12-13 years old for the most part. 

Posted (edited)
On 31/03/2024 at 15:10, HibeeJibee said:

Hibs appear to have been presented with the original Edinburgh 2nd XI Cup pictured here:

images+%25285%2529.jpg

in 1880 or 1881 having won it 3 times running in same way they won the original Edinburgh Cup outright with it being replaced by the Edinburgh (now East of Scotland) Shield.

I'd therefore assume original Edinburgh 2nd XI Cup from 1877 is in Hibs trophy room - as I think the Edinburgh Cup is.

20 hours ago, sfha said:

With thanks to the Hibs Historical Trust, from the Hibs Trophy room...

The Edinburgh Cup and 2nd XI cup

The City Cup is definitely NOT the original 2nd XI trophy, which, as HJ correctly assumed, was awarded outright for their 3rd win.

image5.jpeg

image0.jpeg

shreyaghoshal-shreya.gif

Note in the black-&-white photo of the original Edinburgh 2nd XI Cup which I posted... which is cropped from an image showing it alongside the original Edinburgh Cup... the lid with the wee man on it is on the 2nd XI Cup whereas Hibs now have it on the Edinburgh Cup. It appears they have it right. In team line-up pictures from 1870s and 1880s - several of which show both, and in 1 instance the Shield as well - the lid and wee man are always on the Edinburgh Cup with the handles.

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

the plot thickens Thanks to Old Man Bam being a watcher of the Antiques Roadshow when we were kids (we called it the Old Junk Roadshow) I did pick up some rudimentary knowledge regarding silver hallmarks. For those who don't know hallmarks on silver are used to certify that a piece is actually genuine silver and not some ersatz rubbish. I had a shufty at the hallmarks on the City Cup last night:

There is a head of Queen Victoria so the Cup was made in the reign of Queen Victoria There is a Thistle so the Cup is Scottish There is a Castle so the Cup was made in Edinburgh (the castle being the hallmark for Edinburgh. Should you ever see an anchor mark that is for Birmingham, oddly enough!) There is a makers' mark which I can't remember exactly what it was. I think it was the mark for Mackay and Cunningham who were apparently an Edinburgh jewellers. James Hamilton worked for them until 1866 when he went into partnership with his nephew Robert Inches to form Hamilton & Inches who still exist. There may still be in existence order books for Mackay and Cunningham but that's beyond my ken. There is a date mark- each year has it's own letter and on the City Cup is a capital Y. This corresponds to the year 1880-81 which gives credence to the suggestion that it was a replacement Second XI Cup. 

So the actual silver cup is 144 years old. Those students better take care of it! 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ecsielx1056ta9du14u

Brilliant stuff and all corresponds to what was previously understood from books and press reports... the trophy is the replacement Edinburgh 2nd XI Cup introduced in 1880-81 and retired after 1898-99; presented by Hearts in 1903-04 for the new East of Scotland 'City' Cup; stolen from St Bernard's pavilion during WWII but found buried in an embankment after the war and presumably repaired in 1947.

It's survived going defunct, getting nicked and being filled with kebab - so hopefully it'll survive a year with students.

Edited by HibeeJibee

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There is a Castle so the Cup was made in Edinburgh (the castle being the hallmark for Edinburgh. Should you ever see an anchor mark that is for Birmingham, oddly enough!)

Technically that mark only means it was assayed in Edinburgh, not necessarily made there. Silversmiths sent/send their wares to the nearest assay office to be hallmarked.

Posted (edited)

It was an entertaining Final - both forces saves, flashed several chances wide, had goalmouth scrambles, and hit woodwork.

Opening period quite even, the students had better of rest of 1st half, the hosts were on top 2nd half but visitors got the goal.

Great crowd: few free seats in the stand plus couple of dozen stood in concourse opening so maybe 450?... will be decades since consecutive EOS Cup finals drew 400-500!

GKRqCw0WQAARnL9?format=jpg&name=large

GKRqCwxXIAAGoPG?format=jpg&name=large

Stirling become first-ever university and first-ever 'central counties' team to win City Cup.

city-cup-stirling-uni.jpg

Uni defeat Edinburgh City in cup final triumph | University of Stirling Football Club

Uni defeat Edinburgh City in cup final triumph

The University of Stirling men’s football team weathered miserable conditions at Meadowbank to win the East of Scotland Cup against League 1 Edinburgh City. Under the lights and in front of a packed-out crowd, it was James Stokes who scored the all-important goal, to win the Uni’s second bit of silverware this season.

A delighted head coach Chris Geddes could not wipe the grin off his face after his team braved the elements in Edinburgh.

He said: “So over the moon for the players first and foremost. Game 61 of the season I think it was. Some of them have started 55/56 games to play an opposition, yeah full of young lads, but a team that play in a higher league than us every week. “Our boys deserve it. We’ll take this back to the Uni; the first time a Uni has ever won this. So yeah, really happy for them.”

Goal scorer James Stokes said: “It was brilliant. Good result. Good to get a bit of silverware as well. First cup win this season, obviously, we won BUCS, and we have another cup final to look forward to next week as well.”

Both teams came out fighting in the blistering conditions, but it was Stirling who looked stronger in the early stages. After receiving a great ball out wide from Ciaran McAninch, James Stokes beat 3 defenders on his way into the box, before striking low into the keeper’s hands. Cameron McKinley would rattle his first chance against the bar for the Uni, while on the other end, Momodou Sambou misjudged a guilt edge opportunity, much to Yan Gromov-Godik’s delight in the Stirling goal. Gromov-Godik would have more work to do late in the first though, making a fantastic reflex save from a corner.

While Stirling were clearly the better side in the first half, it was City who looked the more likely in the second. Sambou was denied again, this time by a fantastic goal-line block, after rounding Gromov-Godik. Hibernian loanee Malek Zaid took on the follow-up but was shut down by the Uni keeper who recovered well. On the hour mark it was City again on the front foot and through on goal. In transition, Stirling were short at the back. Sambou found Findlay Marshall, who failed to convert past the onrushing Uni keeper. Quite rumblings of frustration rung out from the City faithful as chances came and went.  Then, ten minutes later against the run of play, James Stokes had found the net after a whipped set piece found him in the box. He instinctively volleyed it past the keeper and capped off the goal with a glorious knee slide celebration. City, more motivated than ever continued to pry, now desperately needing a goal. Callum Wilson would hit the upright after rifling a free kick toward the goal before Gromov-Godik came out big again a couple of minutes later, saving another one-on-one against Marshall. A late red card for Liam Parker made a comeback that much more difficult for the home side. The city defender got his second yellow after arguing with the referee. Ben Heal almost doubled Uni’s lead late on after embarking on a Messi-like run from the center circle past defenders all the way to the goal, before hitting the ball onto the post. With time running out, one last heave into the box by City was caroled safely into the hands of man of the match Gromov-Godik. The final whistle sounded, to the cheer of the Uni fans.

Another bit of silverware added to a trophy cabinet that has been growing over the last couple of years. A real sign of the fantastic work done on the University’s football programme said Geddes.

“It’s a great experience for the last couple of years because we’ve been played four SPFL sides, and we beat three of them.” “To play four teams (from the SPFL) in a season when back in the past it was maybe one game a season we got against them, maybe in the Scottish cup or that, shows how far the programme has come. Shows the quality of all the players we’ve got coming in.”

Edited by HibeeJibee