Hibernian v Motherwell 01/04/23 15:00

Sorry, can't think of a witty title, April 1st game notwithstanding.

I worked with a Hibs fan for many years, and we used to bet a tenner each time we played. I reckon I at least broke even back then, but I'm glad he left because it certainly feels like the pendulum has swung the way of Hibs more recently. Despite this I have a good feeling about Saturday. 0-2 Motherwell, for old time's sake.

Youhan is out after his "entirely reasonable" red card against Celtic, obviously we also have McGeady and Boyle out so I worry a little about the creative side.

Hopefully we have a few back from niggles after the International break. 

Motherwell are in far better form than our last match, so hopefully it will be a good game.

Difficult to call a result, but the good news is I am out for pre and post match beers - 

win GIF

Our record at Easter Rd and v Hibs is pretty chronic truth be told. Not really sure why when we beat Hearts on a reasonably regular basis each and every season. 

You have to go back to Feb 2021 to our last win which was at Easter Rd as it happens. 

Like our record v Livi I guess which often makes no sense as they beat other teams all the time inc the Old Firm. 

What will probably happen is we will play OK. Possibly as well as Hibs and lose by the odd goal due to a VAR blunder or similar. Red card. Penalty for softest handball this season etc. It was always thus. 

Would take a draw and move on to the more winnable two home games. All that said a win here could be pivotal with the bottom 3 playing the top 3 this weekend. Just don’t see it happening…..

I still can't believe we can beat Hearts semi regularly yet with Hibs we just can't seem to even take a point in recent times.

A big game for us as it will effectively confirm bottom 6 football if we don't win. Even if the top 6 is a long shot, there is still that tiny wee bit of hope that we can power on. We need the points as well just to make sure we clear the bottom 2/3 and ensure we stay in the league for another season.

1-0 Well, Van Veen (who will get booked for his celebration) according to my heart.

It feels like our record against Hibs is trash (especially at Easter Road) and the fact we've only won 3 in the last 20 games against them home or away in all competitions kind of backs that up (7 draws in that time though).

Our form against them since our last win is (most recent first) LLLXXX.

Obika's still out which is annoying as he's been a big part of making this 3412 work for us and the Blair Spittal experiment as his replacement didn't really work. Slattery's also out after his red card against the ****.

So aye...Hibs win.

Fwiw, this was our last win at Easter Road:

Edited by capt_oats

46 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

I still can't believe we can beat Hearts semi regularly yet with Hibs we just can't seem to even take a point in recent times.

A big game for us as it will effectively confirm bottom 6 football if we don't win. Even if the top 6 is a long shot, there is still that tiny wee bit of hope that we can power on. We need the points as well just to make sure we clear the bottom 2/3 and ensure we stay in the league for another season.

1-0 Well, Van Veen (who will get booked for his celebration) according to my heart.

You need to look at the league table. With St Mirren playing Livi then any result there whither it be win for either team or a draw puts 6th uncatchable even with us winning.

If Hammy had been papped earlier then maybe top 6 would have been in the mix and 500k from progressing past Raith in the Scottish Cup too.

As has been covered a few pivotal players out for both teams. I do trust SK has done his homework and has made a competitive side with the personnel available.

This is a funny one.

We’ve had our best spell of the season recently, other than the defeat to Rangers we’ve not had a bad performance since January, but with the recent games against the Old Firm and the emotional high of the Scotland games I’ve hardly given this a thought.

Looking at Aberdeen/Hearts/Livi/even St Mirrens fixtures coming up, it’s a game we really have to win.

No Elie Youan is a huge blow and I didn’t think I’d be saying that a few months ago but this is a blow for a number of reasons.

Firstly because of his pace and threat and because he’s actually turned out to be good but more crucially, with him, Boyle and even McGeady (despite being crap) out, it limits our ability to play with wingers and generally when we’ve tried to play without wingers this season we’ve been utter rubbish.

I seriously hope that Johnson goes with Nisbet/Kukhareyvch or even both rather than Hoppe, I don’t think he’s very good at all tbh.

Hard to pick a line up but would go with something like this;

Marshall

Cadden       Fish           Hanlon    Stevenson

Jeggo       Doyle-Hayes       Egan Reilly

Campbell

Nisbet         Kukhareyvch

I’m not sure how I feel about the shape because there is a real lack of width there but it gets our best fit players on the park, the midfield though does concern me it seems pretty one paced and not much creativity, unless you play Henderson and possibly Nisbet out wide I don’t see how you get around that with our personnel, genuinely interested to see what Johnson goes with.

2 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

You need to look at the league table. With St Mirren playing Livi then any result there whither it be win for either team or a draw puts 6th uncatchable even with us winning.

If Hammy had been papped earlier then maybe top 6 would have been in the mix and 500k from progressing past Raith in the Scottish Cup too.

As has been covered a few pivotal players out for both teams. I do trust SK has done his homework and has made a competitive side with the personnel available.

I mean, theoretically there is still 12 points to be had which is why I said a tiny wee bit of hope. Extremely unlikely though.

I just feel that if we lose out on the top 6, it should be done by something out of our own hands. Additionally anything that can keep us in 7th, away from the relegation battle, should help us prepare for the next season as well. As we can begin new contract talks, signings etc as soon as our league position I secured.

Edited by Phillips455

Van Veen not away to China (as far as we know) so in with a chance. Rangers game aside our new look defense has faired quite well since Ketts™️ has come in so could be a tight game. A draw wouldn’t be the worst result for us 

5 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

I mean, theoretically there is still 12 points to be had which is why I said a tiny wee bit of hope. Extremely unlikely though.

I just feel that if we lose out on the top 6, it should be done by something out of our own hands. Additionally anything that can keep us in 7th, away from the relegation battle, should help us prepare for the next season as well. As we can begin new contract talks, signings etc as soon as our league position I secured.

Getting something at Parkhead are we? OK .... let's go with that.

Going to be a good (reported) attendance at this tomorrow, apparently theres only ~600 tickets left to buy in the home stands.

Obviously the "actual" attendance will be smaller as some lucky people will have fucked off to Tenerife/Majorca/Miami etc for Easter but nevertheless it should be pretty busy.

First time I’ve driven through to an Easter Rid in ages. 

Where do folk recommend best place to park? 

Onto the game, will be a tough one as per usual at ER, but think we could be good enough for a point. 1-1 with KVV scoring our goal. 

3 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

First time I’ve driven through to an Easter Rid in ages. 

Where do folk recommend best place to park? 

Onto the game, will be a tough one as per usual at ER, but think we could be good enough for a point. 1-1 with KVV scoring our goal. 

Meadowbank Retail Park, cross the bridge behind Sainsbury's, takes you straight to the South Stand in less than 5 mins.