June fixtures

Merkie84

42 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

How has Souttar's form been for Rangers. I just hope that if Hendry plays, we get the Hendry that played in the last NL triple header and not the Hendry who played against Israel. You never know with him.

I've said it before, but I feel Porteous is getting too much credit for his performances. He's been good but not outstanding and lucky not to give away a couple of goals.

What Israel game? the 3-2 win I vaguely remember Jack Hendry being fairly good.

I agree to an extent with what you say r.e Porteous: his team mates had to bail him out a few times against Spain but he was good in other aspects too such as aerially, physically and playing out from the back.

I'd say more good than bad from Porto, but some of the praise has probably been a step further than I'd go but we always see people raving about players after hardly any games, so that's nothing new. 

Edited by 2426255

I don’t think any of our centre halves are world beaters but in some regards I’d actually rather have a really solid group of options so that you can withstand an injury or two rather than just having two really good quality players and no one else.

Porteous, Hendry, McKenna, Hanley, Souttar all have a role to play for us, alongside Tierney of course who is effectively a CB for us. Then guys like Cooper and Hyam are available too. 

6 hours ago, Donathan said:

I don’t think any of our centre halves are world beaters but in some regards I’d actually rather have a really solid group of options so that you can withstand an injury or two rather than just having two really good quality players and no one else.

Porteous, Hendry, McKenna, Hanley, Souttar all have a role to play for us, alongside Tierney of course who is effectively a CB for us. Then guys like Cooper and Hyam are available too. 

I’m fairly content with our depth at centre half. I think we’re lucky that we have a good number of options as I’ve never seen a more injury prone group of players. Compare that to our key midfielders (McGregor, McTominary, McGinn) who never miss a squad.

8 hours ago, Donathan said:

Except thats not the way it works, teams aren't forced to have only 2 really good centre backs and nobody else. I dont think I could name a national team who have 2 top class centre half's and nobody else.

Theres nothing wrong with saying were struggling at centre back and could really do with some coming through.

Don't get me wrong I think its one of Steve Clarkes main strengths and our backline have performed probably above expectations. Especially recently.

But we don't have one centre back playing for a top team, and it would be great if we could.

9 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Except thats not the way it works, teams aren't forced to have only 2 really good centre backs and nobody else. I dont think I could name a national team who have 2 top class centre half's and nobody else.

Theres nothing wrong with saying were struggling at centre back and could really do with some coming through.

Don't get me wrong I think its one of Steve Clarkes main strengths and our backline have performed probably above expectations. Especially recently.

But we don't have one centre back playing for a top team, and it would be great if we could.

Eh, we’ve conceded 0 goals in our last 3 competitive matches, 1 goal in our last 5, 8 in our last 12, 10 in our last 15.

I don’t think the defence is remotely problematic.

45 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Eh, we’ve conceded 0 goals in our last 3 competitive matches, 1 goal in our last 5, 8 in our last 12, 10 in our last 15.

Yeah I'd say my post was pretty clear and that were doing well defensively.

On paper its now our weakest area tho. We want to improve so thats a big area we could. I know this is a crazy idea, but imagine we conceded less.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

The amount of goals conceded doesn't necessarily tell us how good we are defensively and the numbers presented here are the most positive interpretation of the goals conceded partly because you've taken out friendly matches and chosen the points in time that our record is at its best.

image.png.245c2465d1672fd4aae1adcede7b18cc.png

In my opinion we have been a little fortunate recently in the respect that our opponents have wasted great chances to score against us which isn't reflected in these stats.

Edited by 2426255

Lewis Ferguson grabbed a last minute goal for Bologna taking his season total to seven. 

He’s unlucky that he has so many good established players ahead of him in the pecking order. If we had a centre back or striker playing at that level they’d be a guaranteed starter.

He's had a brilliant first season - much better than I expected. I've not watched him in recent weeks, but what I saw over the course of the season was a reliable, effective and disciplined player which seems perfect for Clarke, but as you say, he's unlucky with who's ahead of him.

Motta has found the perfect role for him which does make me worry a bit about what happens when Motta leaves, but I think he's got enough about him to still be effective at a decent level out with that system - including for Scotland. Clarke initially favoured him more in the deeper midfield two, but I've always thought he'd be better in McGinn's role which was where he briefly played against Spain. 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

He's had a brilliant first season - much better than I expected. I've not watched him in recent weeks, but what I saw over the course of the season was a reliable, effective and disciplined player which seems perfect for Clarke, but as you say, he's unlucky with who's ahead of him.

Motta has found the perfect role for him which does make me worry a bit about what happens when Motta leaves, but I think he's got enough about him to still be effective at a decent level out with that system - including for Scotland. Clarke initially favoured him more in the deeper midfield two, but I've always thought he'd be better in McGinn's role which was where he briefly played against Spain. 

Could he possibly play even further forward, in the Armstrong/Christie role? Or could McGinn play in that position with Ferguson playing McGinn’s normal role? 

We are blessed with options at the moment. If everyone is fit then our best XI probably excludes the likes of Angus Gunn, Nathan Patterson, Jack Hendry, Scott McKenna, Billy Gilmour, Lewis Ferguson, Stuart Armstrong and Lyndon Dykes. Very good strength in depth. 

39 minutes ago, Donathan said:

We are blessed with options at the moment. If everyone is fit then our best XI probably excludes the likes of Angus Gunn, Nathan Patterson, Jack Hendry, Scott McKenna, Billy Gilmour, Lewis Ferguson, Stuart Armstrong and Lyndon Dykes. Very good strength in depth. 

Interesting post, and I definitely agree we are not starved of good options in most areas of the park. The list of names though did make me think who would be keeping each man out. Here's the way I see it:

Gunn - kept out by Gordon, presumably? I dunno, I feel we have to move on from Gordon, and now's probably the time. I love the big guy but he's got a bit of rehab to do plus getting up to match speed again, then finding international-level form. He'll be close to 41 by the time that happens, and Gunn will likely have had a good run of games by then. *If* he performs well, I'd probably favour sticking with him.

Nathan Patterson - kept out by Hickey? Agree with this. I think Hickey is quite possibly going to be the best Scottish player of his generation. Be good if he can - as anticipated - move infield and have even more of an influence on games (and leaving us with a brilliant RWB in Patterson).

Hendry/McKenna - kept out by Hanley/Cooper/Souttar/Porteous/Hyam? Not sure. McKenna is now an established EPL defender of a good age, and Hendry - while mercurial in terms of form, and lacking a steady club career - has put in some of the most composed and classy defensive performances I've seen from a Scotland defender for years. I'd probably rank the options as: Hanley, Hendry, McKenna, then the rest. Assuming Tierney will always get the shout as the LCB of a three, then one of them has to miss out. Maybe McKenna for now, with him taking over as Hanley ages.

Gilmour - McTominay has the shirt to lose for now. I hope he continues to dazzle and score goals for us, but I expect Gilmour will reclaim that spot going fwd (possibly with McTominay moving to a more advanced role)

Ferguson and Armstrong - yeah, Christie and McGinn start ahead of both for me. Armstrong is a classy player, capable of changing games, but unfortunately not always for the better!

Dykes - I love Che Adams. He's the closest thing we have to a complete, top level forward (apart from the fact he's not a goal machine for club or country and is, er, no longer top flight). But he's the closest, as I say. However, Dykes - when used properly (not just punting balls up the park) - works really well in this Scotland side and has delivered a good return of goals and performances. He was superb vs Spain, miss aside. All that said, I'd probably still opt for Adams to start for most games, but there is a baw hair between them for me.

The 'if I had to pick a team today' team for me would be:

------------------Gunn

----------Hendry Hanley Tierney

Hickey----------------------------Robbo

-----------McTominay McGregor

------McGinn----------------Christie

-----------------Adams

(assuming a 3 at the back, but not wedded to it - before anyone starts up that debate)

Edited by Gordopolis

We’ve named a 26 man squad for these games. Should we make the finals next summer it’ll be the same number. If everyone is fit and available then I think it’d be four changes from the current squad:

IN: Gordon, McKenna, Hanley and Adams

OUT: One of Clark/Kelly, Cooper, Hyam and one of Shankland/Nesbit

It’ll be interesting to see who else can play themselves into contention to make the plane if we do qualify. David Turnbull and Alan Campbell are a pair of attacking midfielders, the latter is going to be in the premier league with Luton. Ross Stewart bangs in the goals for Sunderland. Josh Doig is out there at Verona. Hyam been in a couple of squads now.