Alloa Athletic vs. Queens

1 hour ago, Alloamad said:

I’m not aware of any over the top abuse directed towards him, just a sense of frustration at times from fans and players alike. The defence may have been more settled in front of a more commanding, experienced keeper. 

Fair enough, not suggesting there is a witch hunt or anything but after his mistake there were a couple of get to f**k Hogarth shouts, the fact he was down the other end probably didn't hear them.

I can understand the frustration but he is a young keeper and we have had far better and far worse keepers.

Also think Rice brought in Muir hoping he would push Hogarth but when given a couple of opportunities (I was wanting him to get a chance) was poor. 

3 hours ago, Rory said:

I agree with the first and last point. It's understandable if injuries force others to play out of position but it's been a bit frustrating when we've had a mostly fit squad.

Think Offord was a bit underused when he was here and that was probably one of the reasons he was recalled. Rodden's injury didn't help either and LD been injured/playing with an injury. Sammo and MacIver aren't prolific goal scorers (think this is Sammons 2nd best goal tally in his career?) but particularly MacIver, offer something top winning headers and holding up play.

I can't think of anyone we kept from last season that was poor off the top of my head. I was a bit surprised we resigned Churchy but he's been a different player this season. Could see him moving to a full time team next season. 

I agree Church has been better this season but still wouldn't have resigned him. Would also have not resigned King or probably Howie, given injuries and Rice didn't seem to rate him when he was available. 

Edited by Magic Hat

16 minutes ago, Alloamad said:

Seen them given

5F41347A-EF9C-4A98-A4C5-6259362D86E6.png

You've paused it where it looks like it would pass Paton if his left arm wasn't there. It's a good example of why stills don't tell the full story. It was leathered off Paton's midriff. If it hit any arm it was the one across his chest. It's never a handball. 

31 minutes ago, Artemis said:

If it hit the arm across his chest, it is a handball even if accidental because he scored immediately afterwards. As nobody else was near him and nothing else happened, I don’t think there is an argument that he didn’t score immediately after the ball hit him. So, the only question is whether or not it hit his arm at all.

Law 12.1
It is an offence if a player:…

scores in the opponents’ goal:

directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental

IFAB

He chipped the keeper, ran round him and took two touches before scoring. Hows that immediately? 

34 minutes ago, Artemis said:

If it hit the arm across his chest, it is a handball even if accidental because he scored immediately afterwards. As nobody else was near him and nothing else happened, I don’t think there is an argument that he didn’t score immediately after the ball hit him. So, the only question is whether or not it hit his arm at all.

Law 12.1
It is an offence if a player:…

scores in the opponents’ goal:

directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental

IFAB

2 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

He chipped the keeper, ran round him and took two touches before scoring. Hows that immediately? 

Indeed. Pretty surprised folk are arguing that was a handball. Even goalkeeper never claimed for it and he had the best view. It's never a handball. 

32 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

Pretty sure in that context it means without interchanging passes with another player rather than referring to the amount of time or touches.

It looked like handball to me. I think the keeper was too embarrassed by his own stupidity to think about claiming for it and I doubt many of his team-mates even saw it let alone were certain where it hit Paton.

5 hours ago, Alloamad said:

Utter rubbish is your opinion, I don’t share it.  Clyde game, soft goal to concede, far too late going for it, didn’t cost us that time. I also made the point that he’s made some good saves. I still do think that it’s been rices biggest mistake this year, Muir is a better keeper. I’m sure Hogarth will improve but we had better. He’s been super erratic coming for crosses and missing, coming out and been left star fishing in no man’s land. Also guilty of not making sure when leaving shots he thinks are going wide. 
So what do you think has been his biggest mistake this season if not the keeper?

Muir being the better keeper is based off of absolutely nothing though. He cost the first goal in our collapse against FC Edinburgh and cost the goal away at kelty where we drew 1-1 in his only starts, he just blatantly isn’t a better keeper than Scotland’s under 21’s keeper. Rice’s biggest mistake is continually playing a back 5 and having our best players out of their natural positions, not signing a very highly rated keeper who has made numerous great saves this season and has kept us in games, a lot easier to notice keepers when they make a mistake rather than complimenting them on keeping us in games with an ever-changing defence in front of them.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

The referee and the linesman thought it was fine ... they would appear to be the key arbiters here, aye?

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Indeed, that's why we never ever debate penalty decisions, sendings off etc on here. 🙄

Aye, very good. My post was written very much "tongue in cheek" given the debate ensuing. I keep forgetting on here that not everyone shares my somewhat quirky sense of humour. I'll try to give clues in future when I'm not being entirely serious.

15 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, very good. My post was written very much "tongue in cheek" given the debate ensuing. I keep forgetting on here that not everyone shares my somewhat quirky sense of humour. I'll try to give clues in future when I'm not being entirely serious.

I like to use smilies in those cases but then that can get used against you as well with the "Using smilies to show how not bothered you are" shite. ( :lol:

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I like to use smilies in those cases but then that can get used against you as well with the "Using smilies to show how not bothered you are" shite. ( :lol:

Aye, sometimes you just cannae win.

The critiscism of Hogarth is a bit unfair , That said i don't Think developing a keeper (mistakes and all that comes with it )is good for us in the long run though, We need a keeper (developed ) of our own with experience and it should be a priority for next season.

Where we end up next season i am pretty sure will be here in L1 even if we make the playoffs 

Beginning to think we won't finish fourth now though looking at the games we have left, i can't see where the goals are coming from to get us there . 

Totally agree I would rather have a Neil Parry in his prime than a young loanee like Hogarth, but not that many keepers of that quality out there. On the flip side Scott Bain is one of if not the best keeper I have ever seen at the Recs and he was only young.