Alloa Athletic vs. Queens

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, this.

It's great that we're still in it, but we've ridden our luck a bit lately and that won't continue indefinitely.  

Looking at it, our run-in seems tougher to me.  If we can hang in next week by matching Alloa's score, that will be a good outcome I think.  Even that's a tall order though, and an awful lot would still be required to go right for us thereafter.

Yep.

Great credit to the manager and the players that we've taken a season that looked a dead rubber not long ago to a stage where with 4 games to go still we still have a chance of a play off spot.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

49 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Think that's pretty harsh/wrong. We took one of the chances your goalkeeper gifted us but the second goal was hardly a gift; it was a well worked goal.

It was a very good footballing move but ultimately Wilson's cross was behind everyone and then bounced to Ruari off Stanger who didnt react to it at all. I understand his point.

Like I said earlier, first half was mental. Alloa were comfortably the better side in it and should have been one or two up in the first ten mins. Yet by the end of it we should have been 4 up! It was the absolute reverse of the 5-1 up there earlier this season, except we only took half of the sitters we were presented with.

2nd half was a lot less mental but we largely tried to sit on what we had and ultimately got away with it but it was harum scarum in the last 5 mins particularly.

I understand why everyone's enthusing about Kev, he seems to have got Man of the Match from the Travel Club too, and his saves at the end had to be seen to be believed, but his first half was the most indecisive he's looked for us and he damn nesr dropped one into his own net. I'd have given MotM to Paton who was immense up top today but Brydon absolutely dominated at the back too. Almost everything sent into our box high, even after Sammon came on, was met by him about 6 inches above everyone else bulleting it away. He even accidentally headed one more up than away near the end and got back to head the second one away before anyone else reacted to it! We've won a watch with him I think. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

47 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'd forgotten we hit the bar in the 1st half too. And the one Paton forced a fine save from Hogarth when it was already two. Its no exaggeration to say despite being rubbish 1st half we could have had five or six! Paton really was at the heart of all of it. That was his best game for us IMO.

Highlights do clear up that neither Dabrowski's 1st half fumble, nor the one at the end were over the line. Didnt appreciate the one at the end was actually a double save. Thought a defender blocked the rebound but it was Kev again. 

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I understand why everyone's enthusing about Kev, he seems to have got Man of the Match from the Travel Club too, and his saves at the end had to be seen to be believed, but his first half was the most indecisive he's looked for us and he damn nesr dropped one into his own net. 

His save at the end really was miraculous, and its timing made it match winning.

On the evidence of the highlights, however, I'm struggling to see how he wasn't badly at fault for their goal.  It's not exactly a rocket and it has to travel a long way.  He might have been a little unsighted, but it really did not come through a ruck of bodies; it just came past a couple at the edge of the box.  He sort of kneels down, rather than dives.  It obviously gave them a lifeline that very nearly ultimately cost us.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It was a very good footballing move but ultimately Wilson's cross was behind everyone and then bounced to Ruari off Stanger who didnt react to it at all. I understand his point.

Like I said earlier, first half was mental. Alloa were comfortably the better side in it and should have been one or two up in the first ten mins. Yet by the end of it we should have been 4 up! It was the absolute reverse of the 5-1 up there earlier this season, except we only took half of the sitters we were presented with.

2nd half was a lot less mental but we largely tried to sit on what we had and ultimately got away with it but it was harum scarum in the last 5 mins particularly.

I understand why everyone's enthusing about Kev, he seems to have got Man of the Match from the Travel Club too, and his saves at the end had to be seen to be believed, but his first half was the most indecisive he's looked for us and he damn nesr dropped one into his own net. I'd have given MotM to Paton who was immense up top today but Brydon absolutely dominated at the back too. Almost everything sent into our box high, even after Sammon came on, was met by him about 6 inches above everyone else bulleting it away. He even accidentally headed one more up than away near the end and got back to head the second one away before anyone else reacted to it! We've won a watch with him I think. 

The double header won it for him for me, nobody else would have got up for the second like he did. The boy just loves defending, an absolute joy to watch, leading from the back as well at 19. Boy has a big future I just hope it’s with us for a while yet

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

His save at the end really was miraculous, and its timing made it match winning.

On the evidence of the highlights, however, I'm struggling to see how he wasn't badly at fault for their goal.  It's not exactly a rocket and it has to travel a long way.  He might have been a little unsighted, but it really did not come through a ruck of bodies; it just came past a couple at the edge of the box.  He sort of kneels down, rather than dives.  It obviously gave them a lifeline that very nearly ultimately cost us.

But it didn’t. Why not just celebrate and be joyful that we won? 

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'd forgotten we hit the bar in the 1st half too. And the one Paton forced a fine save from Hogarth when it was already two. Its no exaggeration to say despite being rubbish 1st half we could have had five or six! Paton really was at the heart of all of it. That was his best game for us IMO.

Highlights do clear up that neither Dabrowski's 1st half fumble, nor the one at the end were over the line. Didnt appreciate the one at the end was actually a double save. Thought a defender blocked the rebound but it was Kev again. 

Sorry not using multi quote just posting as I read through, but agree this was Patons best game for us. First 15/20 the ball just kept coming back, defence/midfield wasn’t getting the chance to sort itself out until Ruaridh move into the middle of the 3, as Mckechnie seemed to start there (poor again for me yesterday) and he really occupied the centre halfs, started holding ball in and using it well. He took his two goals well but really for me should have had another 2. But that is by far his best performance even more so in recent weeks

4 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

The double header won it for him for me, nobody else would have got up for the second like he did. The boy just loves defending, an absolute joy to watch, leading from the back as well at 19. Boy has a big future I just hope it’s with us for a while yet

Agree. He was my MoM yesterday. Immense but it could equally have gone to Dabrowski or Paton who were both superb. 

Was it just me or did the ref have a poor game yesterday. Three yellow cards thrown at our players like confetti and then when Connelly was hacked down in the first half gave nothing. He did get the penalty shouts right though. Paton did dive and the Alloa players call in the second half was nonsense. 

Great highlights package (pity we can’t do this at Queens) and if I was Alloa would say it was an injustice as I thought they were the better team over the piece. Still they owe us one. 

Good Sandra Brown interviews: Marv enigmatic and gracious, Paton characterful ( only player I really really wish is with us next year… for his attitude) and Kevin nailing it about Marv instilling belief. I think in Marvin we have a good un but my fear is when managers get binned next year others will come hunting him. 

Anyway a great feeling to dig a win out ( no chance that would have happened earlier in the season), a feel good Saturday night and we are still in the game. Gutted I’m on holiday next Saturday and will miss the game at Dunfermline. Big congratulations for the efforts from all players and management yesterday. Onwards and Upwards! 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Its not massively obvious from the highlights angle but it apparently got a deflection, carrying it into the corner when it was initially going wherd he knelt down.

53 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

But it didn’t. Why not just celebrate and be joyful that we won? 

So if we win were not allowed  to point out what we think are mistakes/things that could have been done better. I also thought he could have done better with the goal, haven't watched the replay mind. It maybe came through a few players but it wasn't exactly a thunderbolt, was hit from a distance and not exactly right in the very corner. I think Currie would have got some stick if he lost a goal like that. Dabrowski definetely kept us in front with some great saves late in the game but he also had some shaky times in the first half. I'll enjoy the win but that won't whitewash over the poor parts during the game and I don't mean just by the keeper. 

24 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

So if we win were not allowed  to point out what we think are mistakes/things that could have been done better. I also thought he could have done better with the goal, haven't watched the replay mind. It maybe came through a few players but it wasn't exactly a thunderbolt, was hit from a distance and not exactly right in the very corner. I think Currie would have got some stick if he lost a goal like that. Dabrowski definetely kept us in front with some great saves late in the game but he also had some shaky times in the first half. I'll enjoy the win but that won't whitewash over the poor parts during the game and I don't mean just by the keeper. 

There's nothing wrong with discussing the poor parts but it's bizarre to look at them ahead of the good parts IMO, particularly after a rare win. I mentioned Kev's saves last night and your response was to have a go at him for the meaningless goal we conceded. That's the equivalent of Paton's two goals being dismissed and focussing on the chance he missed at 2-0. 

Tbh it seems some folk really have an issue with goalkeepers in our support. In the first half Kev was getting pelters from a few of the fans. And the number of times you hear "come on keeper!" when a ball in floated just inside the 18 yard box is incredible as well. I think some folk need to take a step back and realise it's Scottish League 1 football they're watching. And Kev is about as good (arguably better) an option we're likely to see at this level. 

Edited by 19QOS19

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

First 15/20 the ball just kept coming back, defence/midfield wasn’t getting the chance to sort itself out until Ruaridh move into the middle of the 3, as Mckechnie seemed to start there (poor again for me yesterday) and he really occupied the centre halfs, started holding ball in and using it well.

I thought we seemed to start as a front two of Paton and McKechnie with Connelly in behind and moved to a three with Paton in the middle and Connelly left side. It might just be how it moved naturally in the early stages though rather than anything intentional. Not sure, its pretty fluid.

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Its not massively obvious from the highlights angle but it apparently got a deflection, carrying it into the corner when it was initially going wherd he knelt down.

It's not at all obvious, but it makes sense as an explanation.  Is the suggestion that it came off Murray? 

Some might have expected it to pass right through him.

I

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

There's nothing wrong with discussing the poor parts but it's bizarre to look at them ahead of the good parts IMO, particularly after a rare win. I mentioned Kev's saves last night and your response was to have a go at him for the meaningless goal we conceded. That's the equivalent of Paton's two goals being dismissed and focussing on the chance he missed at 2-0. 

Tbh it seems some folk really have an issue with goalkeepers in our support. In the first half Kev was getting pelters from a few of the fans. And the number of times you here "come on keeper!" when a ball in floated just inside the 18 yard box is incredible as well. I think some folk need to take a step back and realise it's Scottish League 1 football they're watching. And Kev is about as good (arguably better) an option we're likely to see at this level. 

Just because I haven't commented on the good parts doesn't mean I don't appreciate them, but I don't think a win necessarily exempts players from what is in my opinion valid criticism, and I'm not just talking keepers here. For example Wilson did a power of work as usual yesterday and did a lot of things right but he also misplaced several passes to the opposition, on a couple of occasions tried to take on one player too many losing possession when running forward with the ball when a simple pass to a team mate  was a better option. It's maybe the reverse of your attitude to Murray, if he does  a couple of good things and a dozen bad things, you'd probably highlight the bad things. As I've said I'm happy (delighted) with the win, especially at Alloa, but let's not talk ourselves into it being a perfect performance. 

17 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I

Just because I haven't commented on the good parts doesn't mean I don't appreciate them, but I don't think a win necessarily exempts players from what is in my opinion valid criticism, and I'm not just talking keepers here. For example Wilson did a power of work as usual yesterday and did a lot of things right but he also misplaced several passes to the opposition, on a couple of occasions tried to take on one player too many losing possession when running forward with the ball when a simple pass to a team mate  was a better option. It's maybe the reverse of your attitude to Murray, if he does  a couple of good things and a dozen bad things, you'd probably highlight the bad things. As I've said I'm happy (delighted) with the win, especially at Alloa, but let's not talk ourselves into it being a perfect performance. 

It wasn't a perfect performance. Or arguably it was as it was 3 points, which is all that matters. Given how poor we've been all season I'd happily be in a position where performances aren't great but we have points on the board. 

In regards to Murray, of course I would have a pop at player if they did a dozen things wrong but a couple of things well. If it was the other way around I'd let it slide of course. Kev was shaky in the first half but on balance he was far better than he was poor.