Livingston vs St Johnstone - Saturday 15 April 2023

Stevie May running around by himself as Obileye and Fitzwater swallow him up is even less appealing than a back three.

Neither of those are things (back three, lone striker) I mind generally but it MUST involve the right players. 

Back to basics means 4-4-2, however unfashionable it is these days. Two centre backs who just focus on defending. Head on everything, cutting out at the front post, sticking to your man. Full backs that block crosses and support a winger. Wide players that help the full back, keep wide and put crosses in the box. Central midfielders that are combative and spread play. A couple of strikers to offer each other support get in the box.

I know that's all a bit Football for Dummies but we need to get back to absolute basics, just as Tommy Wright would have done. Will Davidson though?

I'd play Rudden and May together up front, Wright and Murphy wide. Obviously MacPherson and Phillips in central midfield. James Brown at right back. I don't actually mind which two from three he perms at centre back, they are all capable of doing the job asked of them in back four. Montgomery maybe worries me a bit as a pure left back but Tony Gallacher has played so little football.

4 hours ago, Radford said:

Stevie May running around by himself as Obileye and Fitzwater swallow him up is even less appealing than a back three.

Neither of those are things (back three, lone striker) I mind generally but it MUST involve the right players. 

Back to basics means 4-4-2, however unfashionable it is these days. Two centre backs who just focus on defending. Head on everything, cutting out at the front post, sticking to your man. Full backs that block crosses and support a winger. Wide players that help the full back, keep wide and put crosses in the box. Central midfielders that are combative and spread play. A couple of strikers to offer each other support get in the box.

I know that's all a bit Football for Dummies but we need to get back to absolute basics, just as Tommy Wright would have done. Will Davidson though?

I'd play Rudden and May together up front, Wright and Murphy wide. Obviously MacPherson and Phillips in central midfield. James Brown at right back. I don't actually mind which two from three he perms at centre back, they are all capable of doing the job asked of them in back four. Montgomery maybe worries me a bit as a pure left back but Tony Gallacher has played so little football.

Obileye would do fantastic to swallow anyone up at the moment considering he's out for the rest of the season

"Might tweak the system to play one up front"

"Have match winners in the squad that need to play"

"Home pitch is awful so cant get ball players, like Murphy and Carey, involved. 

Mad b*****d is genuinely going to line up

Matthews

Wright - McGowan - Mitchell - Brown - Montgomery 

Carey - Hallberg - Phillips - Murphy

May

And not see an issue, then will blame the players when it goes wrong.

5 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

How much longer until we’re actually wanting Saints to lose just so he gets sacked though?

Ignore my above post, I'm probably there.

If we had to lose 5-0 tomorrow to get rid of him, that's a deal with the devil I'd happily strike.

When County went two up last week and Jordan White was in one-on-one, I hoped he'd score.

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

If we had to lose 5-0 tomorrow to get rid of him, that's a deal with the devil I'd happily strike.

When County went two up last week and Jordan White was in one-on-one, I hoped he'd score.

You’ll not be the only one either. There is literally no coming back for him…

9 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Ticket sales are going well

92DC27F4-4827-436D-A3EC-B3FA3F66C0A2.png

That's better than I'd expected. As a rule of thumb its about 250 seats in each segment.

This is a bit of a nothing game for Saints isn't it; they aren't mathematically safe but its unlikely the bottom 3 can catch them.

24 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'm honestly not quite, quite there yet but very close. I want him launched into the Tay as much as anyone else but if we can't grab a couple of points in the next few games we are in a playoff that I would back us to lose. 

Still can't get myself to a position where I'd trade a relegation for a sacking. If the deal was we stayed up but had another season with CD though, I'd be looking at train times to Greenock. 

I'm very close to Radford's position as well. I could easily see a situation where we bring someone else in and win 3/4 of our post split games. I can also see a situation where he stays and we are right in the relegation mix until the final day. The last thing we want is to end up in a playoff on the run of form we've been on.

Based on everything coming out of the club just now I just don't see how we're turning this around.

Count me in the "if we lose and he goes camp", that's genuinely what it's come down to now, which tells you everything about how little support he has from the stands and dare I say the players. 

Apathy, just pure and undiluted apathy right now. 

7 minutes ago, Durnford said:

If it help so have Killie and United.

County have won three but one of those was against United in their worst form.

Killie and County both absolutely hammered us on the park, while we barely scraped past United who had Liam Fox in charge and a keeper literally handing us goals.

Anyway my prediction.

13 minutes in; a brilliant piece of play leaves Livi into a commanding 1-nil lead.

Next 50 mins zzzzzzzzzzz

63 - news filters through that Hearts have taken the lead against Hibs - ripple of excitement runs through the home crowd.

73 - defensive lapse leave Stevie May unmarked to slot past the wrong footed goalkeeper.  1-1

75 - goalmouth stramash -  Livi have four chances to boot the ball upfield but don't. Eventually the ball is bundled in off May's a##e. 1-2

76 onwards - Livi start chasing the game and throw on 3 defensive midfielders because that's all they have on the bench.

Note - my predictions are generally wrong (well they have been since Christmas) so here hoping I can keep the record going.

19 minutes ago, Durnford said:

63 - news filters through that Hearts have taken the lead against Hibs - ripple of excitement runs through the home crowd.

That game will finish before ours starts, you might want to try a new app if you're not getting that news until an hour after!

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

That game will finish before ours starts, you might want to try a new app if you're not getting that news until an hour after!

Your forgetting the 120 minutes added time for repeated VAR reviews and the traditional "dust-up" in the technical areas.