Rovers v Arbroath 15 04 2023

3 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

An obvious victim of the pitch watering right before the start.  He had to change his footwear after about 15 minutes.  I wonder if there have been other casualties in other games especially in the goalmouth areas since they collect more water?.  Not an excuse - we should be trying the same at the other end.  But timing of the watering might be worth considering.

I actually joked at the time he changed his footwear that he'd be using that as an excuse for the goal, not realising he did actually slip. 

I've not really noticed any issues in previous matches with the watering so I think Gaston was just unlucky. 

24 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

An obvious victim of the pitch watering right before the start.  He had to change his footwear after about 15 minutes.  I wonder if there have been other casualties in other games especially in the goalmouth areas since they collect more water?.  Not an excuse - we should be trying the same at the other end.  But timing of the watering might be worth considering.

I don’t buy the characterisation of Arbroath as ‘physical/hoofball’ merchants and perhaps just because Raith engage in plenty of superfluous passing from side to side.  We are much better with ball on the deck (cf the second goal against Ayr on TV lately).  I felt earlier this season we were struggling to match the muscularity of opponents as we did last season but seem to have improved in this.  I note Raith conceded more fouls than Arbroath yesterday.

After that awful start and poor first half, I was slightly disappointed not to edge the win when we really need it and with three tough games to finish. A draw was a fair result - our default this season - and we could have lost it.    I thought Balde and Olusanya as subs were effective, Allan and Linn much less so.  
Still all to play for.

The pitch has been heavily watered before games for the past 5 years, and I've not noticed players slipping.

30 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

I don’t buy the characterisation of Arbroath as ‘physical/hoofball’ merchants and perhaps just because Raith engage in plenty of superfluous passing from side to side.  We are much better with ball on the deck (cf the second goal against Ayr on TV lately).  I felt earlier this season we were struggling to match the muscularity of opponents as we did last season but seem to have improved in this.  I note Raith conceded more fouls than Arbroath yesterday.

I buy it.  We are big tough b*****ds, and we press hard, get right in the oppositions faces, and practice plenty of the dark arts.  Not a criticism, I love to see it, but that's what we are.  Sure, we can play, but we don't always choose to.  

Why oh why did he start Tait over Balde when Balde has been one of our best players and Tait was miles off it up in Inverness. Mental. I have absolutely zero trust when he’s on the ball in there he gives the ball away in dangerous positions too much. He’s done it so many times, if he plays he’s better off as the further forward of the two. Was a red card waiting to happen and I think we improved big time after Balde come on. 

First half pretty poor tbh don’t like how we set that team up when we knew a win would basically keep us up. Would’ve liked Bobby or El Mhanni starting for more attacking presence and a trick or two to get us up park and make us more dangerous and Dow moving in to the 10. 

in the end a decent point but could’ve been so much better