Rovers v Arbroath 15 04 2023

6 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

On the substitutions, I’m delighted to say that Scott Allan looked like the quality player we though we’d signed. Olusanya also looked decent and caused a few problems for Raith. Balde was a massive improvement on Tait and must start against Cove.

I just posted on another forum that, whatever bad decisions Rovers might have made over the last few years, securing a six figure sum for Dylan Tait certainly isn't one of them.

At best you can describe Arbroath as a very physical side. Dick's teams only have one way of playing.... The Lochgelly way, like the tawse. Hard and brutal.

Not the the Rovers are soft, but f**k me are they slow, slow on thought and especially slow in action.

Draw was a fair result l, if any one was going to win it it was always going to be the hemmer throwers, Rovers lack too many things, speed, fight and confidence are the main 3.

Can't wait for this season to end.

As a club RRFC are going backwards.

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

At best you can describe Arbroath as a very physical side. Dick's teams only have one way of playing.... The Lochgelly way, like the tawse. Hard and brutal.

Not the the Rovers are soft, but f**k me are they slow, slow on thought and especially slow in action.

Draw was a fair result l, if any one was going to win it it was always going to be the hemmer throwers, Rovers lack too many things, speed, fight and confidence are the main 3.

Can't wait for this season to end.

As a club RRFC are going backwards.

What's interesting is that last season, Raith under McGlynn went toe to toe with us, and were up there with Caley as our toughest opponents.  Berra vs Nouble was a proper clash of the dinosaurs.  I didn't see the game, but it sounds like Raith buckled physically this time out.

19 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What's interesting is that last season, Raith under McGlynn went toe to toe with us, and were up there with Caley as our toughest opponents.  Berra vs Nouble was a proper clash of the dinosaurs.  I didn't see the game, but it sounds like Raith buckled physically this time out.

I think we are physically fucked in all honesty. We just been to see this season out and the players probably want to escape without a long term injury. 

9 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

So is Lewis Vaughn the best you’ve got? Why do you talk him up so much? A genuine question 

Hilson should have won it at the death

Was a very good chance at the end, think that would have been a bit unfair to lose it based on what I seen so glad it went straight to MacDonald. Frustratingly Rovers had plenty of wasted chances themselves throughout the half. 

As for Vaughan…

Decent point for us and could've been three with that big chance at the death but we would have been fortunate to win it tbh. We got off to bad start losing a goal and never really got going in the first half. Better second half from us, TOB being exceptional. Gaston made some big saves to make up for his slip at the Rovers goal. Scott Allan had some good moments when he came on, hope he keeps it going.

A point and move on.

8 hours ago, Anotherlichtie said:

So is Lewis Vaughn the best you’ve got? Why do you talk him up so much? A genuine question 

Hilson should have won it at the death

Vaughan has fantastic ability, but is incredibly injury prone - and has certainly taken longer to get up to speed this season. 

Understandable after a 4th ACL, but it's more noticeable this season.

He isn't the "best we've got" though.  Wouldn't come anywhere near being considered player of the season.

He has more league goals this season,  and is a better player than Bobby Linn for example - who seems to produce raptures amongst the Arbroath support every time he comes off the bench, to do not very much.

Edited by CALDERON

16 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Vaughan has fantastic ability, but is incredibly injury prone - and has certainly taken longer to get up to speed this season. 

Understandable after a 4th ACL, but it's more noticeable this season.

He isn't the "best we've got" though.  Wouldn't come anywhere near being considered player of the season.

He has more league goals this season,  and is a better player than Bobby Linn for example - who seems to produce raptures amongst the Arbroath support every time he comes off the bench, to do not very much.

Bobby Linn admittedly didn't do much yesterday but at times in the past was practically carrying the team himself, A fantastic player and club legend.

2 minutes ago, keptie said:

Bobby Linn admittedly didn't do much yesterday but at times in the past was practically carrying the team himself, A fantastic player and club legend.

Don't doubt any of that.

11 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Probably because Rovers are physically buckled. 

Going by the highlights, that looked like a really entertaining finish to the game with both teams going for it. Derek Gaston with some excellent saves, what a season he has had.

Starting to look very promising for Arbroath. Can't see Hamilton getting anything against Partick tbh so win next week and it's all over with 8th secured.

If Rovers could please be in holiday mode in a couple weeks when you visit Somerset Park that would be wonderful cheers.

Edited by AuAl

7 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Didn't realise at the time that Gaston had slipped for the goal. 

An obvious victim of the pitch watering right before the start.  He had to change his footwear after about 15 minutes.  I wonder if there have been other casualties in other games especially in the goalmouth areas since they collect more water?.  Not an excuse - we should be trying the same at the other end.  But timing of the watering might be worth considering.

I don’t buy the characterisation of Arbroath as ‘physical/hoofball’ merchants and perhaps just because Raith engage in plenty of superfluous passing from side to side.  We are much better with ball on the deck (cf the second goal against Ayr on TV lately).  I felt earlier this season we were struggling to match the muscularity of opponents as we did last season but seem to have improved in this.  I note Raith conceded more fouls than Arbroath yesterday.

After that awful start and poor first half, I was slightly disappointed not to edge the win when we really need it and with three tough games to finish. A draw was a fair result - our default this season - and we could have lost it.    I thought Balde and Olusanya as subs were effective, Allan and Linn much less so.  
Still all to play for.

Edited by farflung lichtie