Arbroath Vs Cove

Its just as big a game for Cove as it us, they have a chance to climb off bottom. Think it will be a very nervy affair, they must win as I cant see them beating Dundee away next.

Hopefully we can come through and win, what a relief it would be to get it done with 2 games to spare, 36 was the number I thought we would need to get to and we're almost there.

2 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Was just thinking through the permutations.  Due to goal difference, if Cove don't win on Saturday, they can't finish ahead of us.  A point for us guarantees 9th. A win guarantees 8th.  

Its an even bigger game for Cove than it is for us!

Cove are not going to Dens and taking anything let’s be real. We’re not finishing bottom now. I think Partick will take care of Hamilton quite easily on Saturday too. I’d be absolutely amazed if Hamilton win that game especially after tonight. Put yourselves into the shoes of the other 2 and reassess how you feel your chances would be after doing that. 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Cove are not going to Dens and taking anything let’s be real. We’re not finishing bottom now. I think Partick will take care of Hamilton quite easily on Saturday too. I’d be absolutely amazed if Hamilton win that game especially after tonight. Put yourselves into the shoes of the other 2 and reassess how you feel your chances would be after doing that. 

Yeah, I’m thinking this too. If we were in either of their positions we would be thinking there was no chance.

If you look at how the rest of the season has gone for the clubs involved in the relegation battle, it would take a series of freak results (not just one or two) from now until the end of the season for Cove and Accies to avoid 9th/10th.

Yes it could happen and I won’t be comfortable until it’s mathematically impossible for us to go down, but it would take a massive arse collapse from us, combined with both Cove and Accies suddenly winning everything.

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Oh absolutely, Hamilton are almost definitely not going to win both their remaining games, and Cove are almost definitely not going to get 7 out of 9 points.

But still, I'll continue to have the fear until we're guaranteed safety.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Yeah, I’m thinking this too. If we were in either of their positions we would be thinking there was no chance.

If you look at how the rest of the season has gone for the clubs involved in the relegation battle, it would take a series of freak results (not just one or two) from now until the end of the season for Cove and Accies to avoid 9th/10th.

Yes it could happen and I won’t be comfortable until it’s mathematically impossible for us to go down, but it would take a massive arse collapse from us, combined with both Cove and Accies suddenly winning everything.

Arbroath clearly in the driving seat for 8th place due to an upturn in performances and results. 1 defeat in 9 isn't relegation form and if you combine that with our absolute car crash since January and Accies falling apart of late then it's should be sewn up.

A Cove win on Saturday would start to make the last 2 games a bit more nervy but for us to get 8th it would still require us getting a draw at Dens, I'm almost laughing as I type it, then a win at home to Morton on the last day which is possible especially if they have nothing to play for at that point. Still would require you losing away to Thistle and losing to Accies on the final. Accies would need to lose to Thistle this weekend.

That sequence, which won't happen, would leave 

Cove 34

Arbroath 33

Accies 32

You guys realistically only need a point and more than likely will get it on Saturday and will be confirmed 8th and safe for another season.

It's us and Accies battling it out for 9th. Huge game for us at Gayfield. Even though we don't need to win, as Thistle could easily do us a favour, anything less than a win means we are needing a favour from you on the last day of the season and for us to beat Morton. Clearly we want it in our hands.

17 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Arbroath clearly in the driving seat for 8th place due to an upturn in performances and results. 1 defeat in 9 isn't relegation form and if you combine that with our absolute car crash since January and Accies falling apart of late then it's should be sewn up.

A Cove win on Saturday would start to make the last 2 games a bit more nervy but for us to get 8th it would still require us getting a draw at Dens, I'm almost laughing as I type it, then a win at home to Morton on the last day which is possible especially if they have nothing to play for at that point. Still would require you losing away to Thistle and losing to Accies on the final. Accies would need to lose to Thistle this weekend.

Cove 34

Arbroath 33

Accies 32

You guys realistically only need a point and more than likely will get it on Saturday and will be confirmed 8th and safe for another season.

It's us and Accies battling it out for 9th. Huge game for us at Gayfield. Even though we don't need to win, as Thistle could easily do us a favour, anything less than a win means we are needing a favour from you on the last day of the season and for us to beat Morton. Clearly we want it in our hands.

IMO whoever finishes 9th will go down anyway. 

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

IMO whoever finishes 9th will go down anyway. 

There's a very good chance of that happening. Falkirk not exactly firing on all cylinders right now but are clearly a danger.  Airdrie on red hot form and even Alloa will pose a threat.

To be honest Falkirk and Airdrie would give Arbroath a strong challenge over two legs too.

43 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove 34

Arbroath 33

Accies 32

FWIW I would like Cove to finish 9th and stay up through the playoffs. Mostly for selfish reasons as Balmoral is only about 3.5 miles from my house and it’s nice to have an away game that’s a home game… if you know what I mean.

We win Saturday to stay up then beat Accies on the final day with Cove picking up enough points in the final 2 games to finish 9th would be good.

I’m also not so sure that whoever ends up 9th will go down. Cove… and Accies (and us), have proven that they are capable of digging out results against the odds, so you never know.

Edited by Tattie36

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Yep. But we won’t finish 9th 

I was mostly jesting but my comment would be that it's a strange thing to suggest when we don't know who will be 9th and who they will be playing from Div 1.  A freakish set of results in the final 2/3 games could see you guys 9th - surely you fancy yourselves against whoever from Div 1?  

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I was mostly jesting but my comment would be that it's a strange thing to suggest when we don't know who will be 9th and who they will be playing from Div 1.  A freakish set of results in the final 2/3 games could see you guys 9th - surely you fancy yourselves against whoever from Div 1?  

I think the kind of collapse that would see us end up 9th would knock the stuffing out of us so much that it would be unlikely we would recover enough mentally to win a playoff.

The Killie game last season did it to us - I knew we were never winning the playoff v ICT (never mind St J) as it was such a kick in the ba’s.

Just now, Tattie36 said:

I think the kind of collapse that would see us end up 9th would knock the stuffing out of us so much that it would be unlikely we would recover enough mentally to win a playoff.

The Killie game last season did it to us - I knew we were never winning the playoff v ICT (never mind St J) as it was such a kick in the ba’s.

I agree it would be a boot in the baws but there is a big difference between the play-offs at the top and at the bottom for obvious reasons - you'd be firm favourites on paper in the same way as whoever finishes 11th in the premiership will be for our play-off at the top.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I agree it would be a boot in the baws but there is a big difference between the play-offs at the top and at the bottom for obvious reasons - you'd be firm favourites on paper in the same way as whoever finishes 11th in the premiership will be for our play-off at the top.

But the premiership play off is completely different - much harder to get through two ties as whoever finishes 9th in this league will.

5 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

I don't this will happen, but should you again fail to beat a team you haven't all season, and we do somehow shitfest 3 points against Thistle, you're right back in the shit. Especially when you consider your next game is at Firhill against a team who would need a win to have a chance of the playoffs.

Given you've won 6 league games all season, not winning any of your last 3 i'm not sure could be classed as a "collapse" either.

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't this will happen, but should you again fail to beat a team you haven't all season, and we do somehow shitfest 3 points against Thistle, you're right back in the shit. Especially when you consider your next game is at Firhill against a team who would need a win to have a chance of the playoffs.

Given you've won 6 league games all season, not winning any of your last 3 i'm not sure could be classed as a "collapse" either.

Not really. If we get a draw against Cove, we are guaranteed to finish above them.  Hamilton need to win both games, and even if they do, we just need to get 2 points out of 9.  

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Not really. If we get a draw against Cove, we are guaranteed to finish above them.  Hamilton need to win both games, and even if they do, we just need to get 2 points out of 9.  

One of those games is against Hamilton, though, where in the above scenario a Hamilton win would then likely see you finish 9th.

The above post(s) if if wasn't clear assumes that Arbroath will lose at Firhill.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

One of those games is against Hamilton, though, where in the above scenario a Hamilton win would then likely see you finish 9th.

The above post(s) if if wasn't clear assumes that Arbroath will lose at Firhill.

It also assumes that Hamilton beat Thistle on Saturday.