SPFL 2 playoffs - (Brechin,) Spartans and (another) Albion Rovers

i thought the first half was even though rovers got the opener.Not sure why Spartans got a couple of bookings when rovers players didnt for identical fouls.

Second half and Spartans clearly played the better football and could have gone on to win.

I guess anything can happen next week though.On the evidence today and with a big crowd backing Spartans are a great club with a big future.

Thought the opposite actually, thought the First Half was pretty evens and Spartans were the better team the Second but missed that cutting edge up front (Blair Henderson has never changed 😂).

Not the best of games and 2 very scrappy goals, but it’s tee’s up nicely for a cracker next Saturday, probably not for Rovers fans though.

Edit to add: Jordan Tapping was an absolute rock and a total beast at the back, definitely deserves a return to the SPFL on that performance.

Edited by BB_Bino

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Their average attendence this season is 330 which would have them below every other team in the SPFL bar Albion Rovers.

Any word on what the official attendance was today?

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Their average attendence this season is 330 which would have them below every other team in the SPFL bar Albion Rovers.

Its an unfair comparison.

Had Spartans spent the season in league two and AR in the LL then Spartans would have greatly increased gates and AR even smaller.

The fact Spartans already had a bigger average than AR whilst a league below says alot.

12 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Had Spartans spent the season in league two and AR in the LL then Spartans would have greatly increased gates and AR even smaller.

The fact Spartans already had a bigger average than AR whilst a league below says alot.

That being a B team apologist pays the bills.

1 minute ago, Sparticus said:

I’m aware that they would significantly increase in League 2 but I wouldn’t be using todays attendence to determine them a “great club with a big future”,  Bonnyriggs was almost double Spartans last season and Berwick, Tranent, Bo’ness and the podcast mob had better attendences across the season.

They also parted their bum cheeks for Colts so they are far from a “great club”. Hopefully Rovers can keep them where they belong - festering in that hovel of a league.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m aware that they would significantly increase in League 2 but I wouldn’t be using todays attendence to determine them a “great club with a big future”,  Bonnyriggs was almost double Spartans last season and Berwick, Tranent, Bo’ness and the podcast mob had better attendences across the season.

They also parted their bum cheeks for Colts so they are far from a “great club”. Hopefully Rovers can keep them where they belong - festering in that hovel of a league.

2200 at the Bonnyrigg Cowdenbeath playoff first leg last year.Looked around that maybe more today.

really poor game from both sides. Albion got a result they are content with. worst I have seen them all season to be fair. Spartans were so flat for all that is at stake for them. They wont get to do the ticky tacky stuff they were tying today at Albion's ground. someone has to go for it!!

The good thing about this years play off is the SLD2 bottom side have a little bit of form however Rovers home record is not good.  Still all to play for next week.

Was a pretty poor game yesterday, but a draw was about fair.

Far too many high and long balls from Spartans that caused Rovers no issues. Spartans looked quite toothless up front, while Rovers did try to get forward with the ball on the deck, but mostly found a solid home defence in their way.

Last 10 mins, Spartans got the ball down and looked more dangerous, but by then Rovers were sitting in... think they were content with the draw and confident to finish the job next week.

A little nod to some of the Rovers fans behind the goal who clearly did a top job getting under the skin of some of the Spartans players...!

2 hours ago, G_&_T said:

I fancy going to this one.  Will it be PATG, though?

Considering Albion Rovers average crowd is about 250 and Spartans take about 20 to an away game i think we should okay getting in.

When i said "good crowd" I'm talking 500/600.

32 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Considering Albion Rovers average crowd is about 250 and Spartans take about 20 to an away game i think we should okay getting in.

When i said "good crowd" I'm talking 500/600.

That's for your average, run of the mill league game though Possil.

I think next Saturday, with all the neutrals there, you're looking at a 2000 crowd probably

1 hour ago, Jordi1977 said:

Was a pretty poor game yesterday, but a draw was about fair.

Far too many high and long balls from Spartans that caused Rovers no issues. Spartans looked quite toothless up front, while Rovers did try to get forward with the ball on the deck, but mostly found a solid home defence in their way.

Last 10 mins, Spartans got the ball down and looked more dangerous, but by then Rovers were sitting in... think they were content with the draw and confident to finish the job next week.

Was like two bald men fighting over a comb!  Both looked poor teams.

As you say, once Spartans kept the ball down on the grass they looked the better footballing team.

However, I don't know if they've any other strikers, but they were poor yesterday up front, often trying to walk the ball in to the goal instead of shooting on sight.

I just feel overall, Albion will have too much next week, as they've been pretty good at home recently.