SPFL 2 playoffs - (Brechin,) Spartans and (another) Albion Rovers

I'd like Brechin to make a return just to prove the naysayers wrong. It's frightening how many folk think relegation from the spfl is a one way street to oblivion. I'd like Albion Rovers to stay up so hopefully Brechin will be up against Elgin or Bonnyrigg should they get past Spartans.

21 minutes ago, microdave said:

I'd like Brechin to make a return just to prove the naysayers wrong. It's frightening how many folk think relegation from the spfl is a one way street to oblivion. I'd like Albion Rovers to stay up so hopefully Brechin will be up against Elgin or Bonnyrigg should they get past Spartans.

It's not far off being a permanent exile TBF. Not only do you have to win your own league, you have to get past the champions of another league at the same level, then the bottom side in League Two. The SFA and Celtgers have made it clear that if they don't get their own way over using the lower leagues to keep their reserves fit, they're prepared to strangle progression to League Two even further, and the Lowland League is starting to fill up with former league clubs who seem less likely to return as each season passes. We should all be fearing The Drop.

Anyway, it'd be a bit of a shiter for Bonnyrigg to leave without managing to give the SPFL a proper go, and unfortunately Albion seem likely to go the way of East Stirlingshire if they go down, so maybe Elgin would do best out of relegation. A chance to return to the glory days in the Highland League, and escape the relentless grind of 20+ years in the bottom tier. Their fans may or may not agree.

I'd normally like to see someone new like Spartans come up but, yeah, if they like playing reserve teams then they can stay down and keep doing it. Brechin had an absolutely horrific run and I hope they can turn it around; what happened to them could happen to literally any of the part-timers.

57 minutes ago, microdave said:

I don't think Berwick, Cowden or East Stirling would agree tbh.

15 minutes ago, BTFD said:

It's not far off being a permanent exile TBF. Not only do you have to win your own league, you have to get past the champions of another league at the same level, then the bottom side in League Two. The SFA and Celtgers have made it clear that if they don't get their own way over using the lower leagues to keep their reserves fit, they're prepared to strangle progression to League Two even further, and the Lowland League is starting to fill up with former league clubs who seem less likely to return as each season passes. We should all be fearing The Drop.

Anyway, it'd be a bit of a shiter for Bonnyrigg to leave without managing to give the SPFL a proper go, and unfortunately Albion seem likely to go the way of East Stirlingshire if they go down, so maybe Elgin would do best out of relegation. A chance to return to the glory days in the Highland League, and escape the relentless grind of 20+ years in the bottom tier. Their fans may or may not agree.

I'd normally like to see someone new like Spartans come up but, yeah, if they like playing reserve teams then they can stay down and keep doing it. Brechin had an absolutely horrific run and I hope they can turn it around; what happened to them could happen to literally any of the part-timers.

Tbf, four teams have managed to win their league and two play offs to gain promotion. It's not impossible.

4 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I don't think Berwick, Cowden or East Stirling would agree tbh.

Any one of those teams could come back to the spfl. They're only a good manager away from promotion like any other club in the lower leagues.

Brechin for me as it’s unlikely the Loons will escape League 2 this year we could at least have an Angus derby again. As for who goes, I’m not that bothered, may not be a disaster for Elgin as they’ll have far less travelling to do, Albion Rovers, it could be a disaster for them but I’m ambivalent towards them. I couldn’t care less if Bonnyrigg go back down.

28 minutes ago, BTFD said:

As far as I'm aware, none of the proposals have involved any reduction in promotion and relegation between Tiers 4 and 5.

I also would like to see Brechin come up. The less plastic pitches the better. At the other end, I would like to see Annan go up through the play offs as it would be two near 500 mile round trips less and also leave poor old Stirling Albion as the only side in League One to play on grass.

Brechin are always a club I’ve enjoyed visiting, maybe because they’re are similar level to Stranraer and we’re tan similarly for a long time.

If anyone is to be relegated I’d like to be Bonnyrigg. It’s a horrid pitch, no great vantage point to watch the game and we’ve failed to beat them this season even though they’re one of the worst teams I’ve seen.

Feel for the likes of Beith and Creetown who can’t be promoted to the lowland league due to licensing yet Bonnyrigg are licensed. 
In no position to be snobby as a Stranraer supporter but it feels like a Scottish cup ground, not the type for league football, there’s the adage that any of their fans I’ve interacted with are reprobates. 

Bonnyrigg out! 

Don't want Albion to be relegated but if they do finish bottom, I think they'll be capable of beating Brechin or Spartans anyway in the playoff. Bonnyrigg, I'm not so sure about. Bonnyrigg have a good fan base and would be loss to the league despite their midden of a ground. 

I like to see new teams come up, so wouldn't mind seeing Spartans but it would be great to see Brechin come back, to show that relegation and then rebuilding can be effective. 

I think we may get past the Spartans but will find it very hard against either of the 3 bottom clubs. If I could choose I'd probably pick Elgin to play as Hestor seems to be off-form at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Kev8122 said:

I think we may get past the Spartans but will find it very hard against either of the 3 bottom clubs. If I could choose I'd probably pick Elgin to play as Hestor seems to be off-form at the moment. 

Find this surprising considering you took us to penalties in the cup, and in truth, you should have won the game before that. Chatting to a few Brechin fans that day, they were dying to get back to the League 2 and the club seemed to have sorted itself out and was on track to return. From what I saw that day, I think you'd have a chance against any of the potential bottom of the league sides, it'll just come down to who does what overt he 2 legs (assuming you knock Spartans out).