SPFL 2 playoffs - (Brechin,) Spartans and (another) Albion Rovers

3 hours ago, Kev8122 said:

I think we may get past the Spartans but will find it very hard against either of the 3 bottom clubs. If I could choose I'd probably pick Elgin to play as Hestor seems to be off-form at the moment. 

I think you'd beat Bonnyrigg. Albion Rovers can be amazing on their day, but are incredibly inconsistent and very unlucky. Elgin have been dreadful lately.

I was all for Spartans coming up because I'm naturally biased towards almost any potential new face in the SPFL. I didn't know / possibly forgot however that Spartans were one of the bad guys who welcomed the colts into the Lowland League. Any colt supporting club can get to f**k. So it has to be Brechin. I feel they deserve to come up after their efforts this season and the more turgid League 2 teams to taste relegation the better.

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

What like are Spartans this year? Won the league I know that but do they have good players to step up and stay in League 2 if they were to come up.

They've got a few jobbers and some players you'll recognise like Harvey Swann and Jordan Tapping etc. Blair Henderson has led the line well for them too. They try to play football and have arguably a squad that is probably capable of staying in league 2 but barely. I'd say they are in better shape than Bonnyrigg were when they got promoted though. 

23 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

They've got a few jobbers and some players you'll recognise like Harvey Swann and Jordan Tapping etc. Blair Henderson has led the line well for them too. They try to play football and have arguably a squad that is probably capable of staying in league 2 but barely. I'd say they are in better shape than Bonnyrigg were when they got promoted though. 

Oh yeah Harvey Swann and Blair Henderson were decent player's from what I remember.A think Brechin might have a good chance of making through then,pretty experienced team they have at the Glebe.

21 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Think so as well.

Although love the fear factor within the bottom league as each of think, one day it will be us.

With the possible exception of the ex Eosfl club 

My prediction is based on absolutely  zero knowledge of how well Brechin or Spartans compare . 

I'd prefer Rovers stay up. As for promotion/relegation, I don't think Bonnyrigg have offered much to the league, beyond reported decent home crowds. They've been the poorest side I've seen in the league this season. Spartans, as mentioned by others, are pro colts, sports centre shite, so they can stay down. I'd rather have seen Buckie come up. No offence to Brechin City, just for a new face. I'm all for breaking the closed shop nature of the bottom tier, which frustrated the life out of me before the beginning of the pyramid. If it comes down to Bonnyrigg or Brechin I'd prefer the hedge lot.

10-man Spartans stealing a 1-0 win at the death at home in the 1st leg. Brechin ought to be kicking themselves, and need to pull out the stops next week at Glebe Park if they're to keep their dream of bouncing straight back up alive.

If they can't win one of the two games against Spartans, one of which was against ten men for most of it, then they simply don't deserve to go up (for what would probably be a miserable season if that were shown to be the standard).  

Hopefully a repeat of the Fraserburgh situation a few weeks back where they couldn't score away from home (even when handed a late penalty) but then hit 5 past them at home the following week (not that I'm actively expecting 5 next week, but you get the idea).

I’d seen Spartans earlier this season, and they were what I expected. Very disappointed in Brechin though. They were given a golden opportunity when Spartans went down (correctly in my view despite, the howls from home fans) to 10 men. (And another golden opportunity when the referee bottled sending off the Brechin goalie when he hauled a Spartans forward down just outside the box.) For most of the second half you would have thought that Spartans had sneaked an eleventh player back on at half-time, as they well matched Brechin. Brechin played some nice passing football but just didn’t have enough shots on goal. Really can’t understand why they didn’t push to finish the tie today when they had the opportunity. If Spartans can score next week Brechin will be under a lot of pressure. That having been said, I still fancy Brechin to win the tie. 

I’m assuming that it will now be Albion Rovers who finish bottom and take on Brechin or Spartans. If the best Albion Rovers turn up I think they will/should win. But the reason they are (aside a couple of unlikely results) next week is inconsistency, so if the poor Rovers turn up the play-offs will be more of a challenge. 

(And if Bonnyrigg stay up I hope Stranraer will formally apologise to the rest of the league for single-handedly saving them.)

If either Brechin or Spartans go up they’ll need to learn from Bonnyrigg’s experience this season and NOT stick to basically unchanged squads. 

I've seen Brechin 4 times this season and will be amazed if they beat team42.  It's not impossible but it would have to be unexpectedly poor performances by the League 2 side.  Even to get there against Spartans is not certain for Brechin.  Sadly the standard of teams in the Highland League is not that great.

Edit  I'd like to see Bonnyrigg relegated.  Great social club.  Dreadful spectator facilities.

Edited by MO7S
Additional comment.

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

(And if Bonnyrigg stay up I hope Stranraer will formally apologise to the rest of the league for single-handedly saving them.)

Can’t let you take all the credit there, Forfar have been equally culpable in that disgrace.