SPFL 2 playoffs - (Brechin,) Spartans and (another) Albion Rovers

HL record in the play-offs is poor. Only Cove have managed to gain promotion so far. Really shocked at that Brechin result, thought they would win fairly comfortably on their own turf. They will be sick to go out like that. 

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

HL record in the play-offs is poor. Only Cove have managed to gain promotion so far. Really shocked at that Brechin result, thought they would win fairly comfortably on their own turf. They will be sick to go out like that. 

Maybe the HL isn't as good as people think...

Albion Rovers are a better side than any of the other precious bunch of losers who we have lost from League 2, their points total, goal difference and lack of big space between them and the rest of the Division tell me that they should see off Spartans quite comfortably and would have battered Brechin!!!

12 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Albion Rovers are the definition of SPFL deadwood so guess it's better if Spartans go up. If they do, 5 out of 20 in Leagues One and Two next season will have got there through the playoff.

In what way are Albion Rovers deadwood? They were promoted in 2011 and won this league outright in 2015. If anyone is to take the deadwood title it would be Elgin who have been stuck in League 2 since they joined it 23 years ago. 

9 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Cove took a few attempts . 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

In what way are Albion Rovers deadwood? They were promoted in 2011 and won this league outright in 2015. If anyone is to take the deadwood title it would be Elgin who have been stuck in League 2 since they joined it 23 years ago. 

You get these statements on here a lot - people clearly don’t study past league tables.

On 03/05/2023 at 23:17, approximately dave said:

Checked the stats, probably been mentioned on another thread on this forum but 36 points is the highest ever points tally for the bottom team of this league, might be higher if Albion beat Stirling. One of the closest leagues between top and bottom as well. So I'm going for club 42 be it Albion or Bonnyrigg to stay up. Nothing against Spartans or Brechin, I'm sure they will come up in the future.

Was thinking this myself. They finished on 39 points and -1GD. It's a record that would have been seventh three times in the last decade and never previously bottom. There are four joint-biggest away wins in League Two this season, and three of them are Rovers away wins, including 5-1 at the eventual runners-up.

It's a mad season.

I've not seen Rovers play since earlier in the season, but I thought they looked a decent enough side, and fans of other clubs in L2 I've spoken to have generally said the same. I suppose this is a sign that the pyramid is working when none of the L2 sides are absolutely fucking awful.

Looking forward to the play-off, find myself hoping Rovers stay up.

Edited by DoingThe42

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Exactly this folk don’t do their research on things.

15 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Albion Rovers are the definition of SPFL deadwood so guess it's better if Spartans go up. If they do, 5 out of 20 in Leagues One and Two next season will have got there through the playoff.

I'm just going to add a Scottish Cup quarter final for the Rovers in the past decade and point out that the last time Albion Rovers finished bottom of L2/3rd division was over twenty years ago. Hardly deadwood.

Edited by microdave

29 minutes ago, microdave said:

I'm just going to add a Scottish Cup quarter final for the Rovers in the past decade and point out that the last time Albion Rovers finished bottom of L2/3rd division was over twenty years ago. Hardly deadwood.

Never understand how Rovers get it tight and Elgin don't.

34 minutes ago, microdave said:

I'm in my mid-50s. I can remember clubs like Berwick Rangers, East Stirlingshire, Montrose and Cowdenbeath being in the top two tiers after reconstruction, but never Albion Rovers. I can remember your club being in the top ten in the 1980s albeit very briefly, but I think you need to go back to the late 1940s to get to a time when Albion Rovers were in the old first division.  Maybe it's time somebody else had a chance to give it a go?

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I'm in my mid-50s. I can remember clubs like Berwick Rangers, East Stirlingshire, Montrose and Cowdenbeath being in the top two tiers after reconstruction, but never Albion Rovers. I can remember your club being in the top ten in the 1980s albeit very briefly, but I think you need to go back to the late 1940s to get to a time when Albion Rovers were in the old first division.  Maybe it's time somebody else had a chance to give it a go?

Shut up you silly auld duffer.

How can I possibly compete with such an incisive analysis? Haud oan here goes, in every other division of the SPFL the last placed team is automatically relegated. Why would anyone want a different outcome in League 2 beyond sheer selfishness and self-preservation? I am not at all keen on Spartans for a variety of reasons but they should have already earned their promotion in the penalty shootout yesterday.

15 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Highly doubtful if any those going down will ever come back up again.

Thought maybe Brechin City might have had a chance.

That’s a pretty daft statement, Kelty and Cove show a bit of investment can fire any club up the divisions, Cowdenbeath and Brechin were in the Championship within the last few years. No club has returned yet but it’s ridiculous to think none of them will ever manage it.