Player of the Year - Nominations

Who will win PotY?  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Scoring 99% of your teams goals doesn't make you the best player in the league btw.  All it proves is if you get injured, your team's fucked.

19 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

McMullan was well in contention for this until January. Since then his form has fell off a cliff and he can barely get into our team.

Form dipped as soon as he had a child. I can sympathise.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Scoring 99% of your teams goals doesn't make you the best player in the league btw.  All it proves is if you get injured, your team's fucked.

I mean, good job it’s only around 34% of our league goals and it’s not the team of the season, but player. 

44 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I mean, good job it’s only around 34% of our league goals and it’s not the team of the season, but player. 

Folk saying that Akinyemi isn’t the best player in the league are just trying too hard to be different. 

Aye the boy Boateng is class but you could take him out and put Andy Murdoch in that Queens Park team and they wouldn’t be any worse off. 

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Folk saying that Akinyemi isn’t the best player in the league are just trying too hard to be different. 

Aye the boy Boateng is class but you could take him out and put Andy Murdoch in that Queens Park team and they wouldn’t be any worse off. 

He simply is the player of the season, it isn't even a debate in my opinion - perhaps if Mcmullan continued his form all the way through. If you look at every other team in the league you can safely say that Ayr would suffer the most from losing Akinyemi and no other player would have such an influence on their team. 

One thing that does piss me off about him is that he loves to go down easily looking for the foul.

33 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think it’s ridiculous to put someone else forward for POTS, but the phrase “Scoring 99% of your teams goals doesn't make you the best player in the league” is a rather hilarious attempt at dressing down being the league’s top scorer by a clear distance.

3 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

One thing that does piss me off about him is that he loves to go down easily looking for the foul.

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed this but it’s probably to do with the fact that he constantly gets fouled throughout games and referees ignore it. Maybe they think he should be able to be stronger in some situations but centre backs just resort to holding onto his shirt and there isn’t much he can do to combat that. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed this but it’s probably to do with the fact that he constantly gets fouled throughout games and referees ignore it. Maybe they think he should be able to be stronger in some situations but centre backs just resort to holding onto his shirt and there isn’t much he can do to combat that. 

Aye, not getting this Akinyemi going down to easy. I’ve never seen an Ayr striker body so many defenders as he has this season. Now and again he gets fouled enough for him to “go down easily”

On 03/05/2023 at 16:51, The Master said:

I'm struggling to see why Paul McMullan has been nominated. 

Up until Jan.-Feb. I think it would've been unanimous that he deserved nominated tbf, played brilliantly until then (I have no doubt become a new dad and playing the most game he's ever had in a season have played a significant part in the downturn). Don't know what it says that the last couple months haven't come into factor, though even in his worst performances of late he's still managed some assists, so maybe that's actually worked in his advantage.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I say every week when he doesn’t get fouls that if he was Brian Graham, he would win the foul. He seems to get every decision going. 

18 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I say every week when he doesn’t get fouls that if he was Brian Graham, he would win the foul. He seems to get every decision going. 

Brian Graham is the shitebags shitebag. 

I’d have him in my team in a second though. 

Do Ayr fans believe that Dipo can easily make the step up to the top flight or say, English Championship/League One or do you guys see him as just a decent player having that brilliant purple patch season? 

He's got 3 goals and an assist against Dundee this season but I've never thought, 'Wow, what a player' or been in fear of him like I probably should with a player of his record this season. That said, absolutely cannot argue with what he's produced and he absolutely deserves the PotY.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Do Ayr fans believe that Dipo can easily make the step up to the top flight or say, English Championship/League One or do you guys see him as just a decent player having that brilliant purple patch season? 

He's got 3 goals and an assist against Dundee this season but I've never thought, 'Wow, what a player' or been in fear of him like I probably should with a player of his record this season. That said, absolutely cannot argue with what he's produced and he absolutely deserves the PotY.

I’d say either League One down South or the top flight up here is a reasonable next step. 

You could argue that he needs to work on his all round game. His final pass is lacking but if he could fix that he’d be frightening at a higher level. I think out and out goal scorers like him often lack that wow factor because more often than not they’re hanging about the box waiting for the ball. There’s no doubt that he can do more than that but as I say he lacks the final pass or the sense to be really effective out of the box. He’s been amazing this season because he’s been able to get into positions to score, his finishing is ridiculous and his sheer strength has meant most defences can’t deal with him. He also does a power of work up front and for ages he was very isolated up front and dragging us through games. 

It’s probably fair to say that every team in the division wishes they had a finisher as clinical and effective as Dipo (irrespective of his form dip) - so he gets my vote, too. Closely followed by Boateng and our own Liam Grimshaw who’s been rock-solid after a shaky start.