Annan vs Dumbarton, Dumbarton vs Annan

Final outcome  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Final outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/23 at 18:45

26 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I hate myself for saying it, but I hope we get an absolute horsing tomorrow. More than the 6-0, and yeah, an all-time aggregate record.

For various reasons, including hopefully emptying Farrell, and making it a difficult day for those fans who have already asserted that "they'll be turning up to applaud the manager and team regardless".

I hope those that bother going give absolute pelters to Farrell and the board. Imagine it'll just be those nutters that love Farrell, though.

The biggest aggregate defeat in the play offs since they were introduced in 2006 is by a 5 goal margin. 

Airdrie United 6-1 Brechin City 2007.

Queen's Park 7-2 East Fife 2007

Motherwell 6-2 Rangers 2015

Forfar Athletic 7-2 Peterhead 2017.

The highest number of goals scored by one team over two legs is 8.

Stirling Albion 8-4 Annan Athletic 2014

Stranraer 8-6 Livingston 2016.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

I hope those that bother going give absolute pelters to Farrell and the board. Imagine it'll just be those nutters that love Farrell, though.

Arbroath 36 Bon Accord 0 steady my man. I know you’re hurting but ?

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The ref was poor, and he let actually let a lot fouls go unpunished.  But regarding Orsi, his involvement in the game was weird for me, he looked disinterested from the start and the couple of occasions he had the ball at his feet he just seemed to run directly into trouble.  

Now that might sound harsh, but that wasn't the committed, high-energy KO we've enjoyed watching for most of this season, and it seemed to symbolise our team performance on the night.  Why, I wonder ?

Orsi has done that a few times this season. During the winter months he would often run into blind alleys with the ball. Didn't come back into form again until recent months for me.

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

We started with some weird 3-5-2 sort of thing at Annan in the 3-1 game the other month to be fair. It was only in the second-half that we went back to a 4-1-4-1 and brought on guys like Orsi and Div Wilson.

Not arguing with you Jan, the 1st half was a riot in the previous match.  It seemed to me that we were trying to play the usual 4-1-4-1 with Love and Wallace in the middle.  It then looked like we came out in the 2nd half with a 5-4-1 with Wylde and Lynas at wing back, with Kalvin, Div, RB and Fin in midfield.

Either way, it was far too easy in the 1st game for Annan to rip our shape up, and they definitely managed to do that again on Tuesday.  

One of the memories from the April game was an Annan fan asking Greg Fleming if he expected it to be so easy, he replied to say that there was huge gaps in the middle of the park.

Far too easy in April, far too easy again this week.

4 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Not arguing with you Jan, the 1st half was a riot in the previous match.  It seemed to me that we were trying to play the usual 4-1-4-1 with Love and Wallace in the middle.  It then looked like we came out in the 2nd half with a 5-4-1 with Wylde and Lynas at wing back, with Kalvin, Div, RB and Fin in midfield.

Either way, it was far too easy in the 1st game for Annan to rip our shape up, and they definitely managed to do that again on Tuesday.  

One of the memories from the April game was an Annan fan asking Greg Fleming if he expected it to be so easy, he replied to say that there was huge gaps in the middle of the park.

Far too easy in April, far too easy again this week.

Aye it was a riot. But the plan definitely involved a back three of Buchanan, Grant and McNiff with Wylde and Lynas as wing-backs. I think Annan played with three centre-mids that day and the plan would've been to match them up.

The subs led to us going back to a 4-1-4-1. I remember speaking to Faz after it really clearly because he made a comment along the lines of 'that's the last time I try and change our shape!' 

The other thing I'll say on Fleming's comment is that he's bang on. Reece Lyon especially has absolutely dominated the last two games. I remember thinking he was the first player I'd not seen give Finlay Gray a sniff, and he did the same to, well, everyone midweek.

I'm staggered he's deemed not good enough for Morton. Because he looks a real class act.

51 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Aye it was a riot. But the plan definitely involved a back three of Buchanan, Grant and McNiff with Wylde and Lynas as wing-backs. I think Annan played with three centre-mids that day and the plan would've been to match them up.

The subs led to us going back to a 4-1-4-1. I remember speaking to Faz after it really clearly because he made a comment along the lines of 'that's the last time I try and change our shape!' 

The other thing I'll say on Fleming's comment is that he's bang on. Reece Lyon especially has absolutely dominated the last two games. I remember thinking he was the first player I'd not seen give Finlay Gray a sniff, and he did the same to, well, everyone midweek.

I'm staggered he's deemed not good enough for Morton. Because he looks a real class act.

Thats what surprised me about his subs on Tuesday.

The obvious thing was to go 4-4-1 and play with 2 solid banks of 4 in the same way we do when we're playing 4-1-4-1. Instead he went 2 up top, 3 in the midfield and almost invited the Annan wide players to attack us.

Farrell doesnt have plan B. When he tries to deviate from plan A, things end badly.

9 hours ago, microdave said:

The biggest aggregate defeat in the play offs since they were introduced in 2006 is by a 5 goal margin. 

Airdrie United 6-1 Brechin City 2007.

Queen's Park 7-2 East Fife 2007

Motherwell 6-2 Rangers 2015

Forfar Athletic 7-2 Peterhead 2017.

The highest number of goals scored by one team over two legs is 8.

Stirling Albion 8-4 Annan Athletic 2014

Stranraer 8-6 Livingston 2016.

Partick Thistle maybe taking both records tonight.  7-3 up on aggregate and not quite half time yet.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Talking about records, if you take a graph of the UK mortgage rate in the last nine months and flip it upside down it almost exactly matches our league form.

I looked at that the other day; 40 points from 57, contract extension, 22 points from 51.

The other interesting article I found on the website had Fazz talking about supporting the players with the psychological pressure of being at the top of the league.  I guess that didn't work out.

We’re in a real lose-lose situation today. There is absolutely no chance of us turning round Tuesdays embarrassment which means the best we can hope for is a positive reaction from the players and a good performance that sees us win and get a bit of pride back. The problem there is we’ll then have to suffer Faz’s attempt to sell it as some sort of indication that it’ll all come good next season. Neither realistic or acceptable but would give him a branch to cling to and avoid the boot. 

The alternative is another abject performance and a result that leaves us with unwanted records and a further embarrassment.

Regardless of the outcome, I expect the board to act at 5pm today.