Alloa v Hamilton & Hamilton v Alloa

5 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

teams galvanise

well we will agree to differ

But!   we were not capable of galvanising at all with  arguably two best players/ defenders off the park with no decent subs to replace them with

I will Judge rice on next season with more of a chance to bring in new players and then we shall see if he is up to it or not .

18 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

I accept the sending off and injuries were a major reason for the Hamilton come back, and we we're down to the bare bones, but for me that doesn't excuse the tactical misgivings of Rice.

Quite often teams galvanise when going down to 10 men and very few shop 4 goals in just over 5 minutes.

As I said to Printer, realise I am in the minority but don't rate Rice and this in my opinion has been a poor season, despite finishing 4th.

I completely agree with you.I never wanted Rice to get the job,and he showed throughout the season that he could not decide,week after week who his best starting eleven were.He constantly plays players out of position,even with a full squad to choose from.I do however have sympathy with him in relation to injuries.I gave up on him months ago,and have found other things to do on a Saturday with the family.I also will not be renewing my season ticket next year.His style of play, poor understanding of the players best positions etc is enough to put me off.It has been a painful watch at best at times this season.I suppose Printer will be on to correct my spelling and general use of full stops etc.He seems to like doing that.Guess we all need a hobby though.

Edited by Alloa 68

1 hour ago, Kevchenko said:

I am not going to argue about what happened at the Edinburgh game and on other times when he has played players out of position when there hasn’t necessarily been a need to do so but I have to question what you believed was the alternative today?

The 8 or 9 minute spell where the 4 goals went in was brutal, no doubt, but again, what was he supposed to do at that point player/position wise? At 2 each I think everyone is praying we hold on until halftime so he at least has 15 minutes to try and set something up for the 2nd half, but we just couldn’t get there, Hamilton seen an opportunity to go for the jugular and took it. 

Of those he retained last year there’s only 2 or 3 I really questioned, and to be honest, one of them has had a remarkable level of improvement this year and another is one of the divisions top scorers. He has taken us to 4th, behind 3 teams who are all better than us (and full time), I find it hard not to call that a successful season. 

The big glaring hole recruitment wise for me was the lack of a ‘different’ striker, other than that he’s done pretty well. 

That is your opinion and I have mine, for me it has been a poor season, the quality of football has been awful to watch and have enjoyed very few games this year.

Only reason I brought up the Edinburgh game is that along with today they are the worst collapses I have seen from an Alloa team, both under Rice.

Don't rate Rice as a manager but if others do then they are 100 percent entitled to their opinion.

I have cheered, applauded, been close to tears and shouted at managers over the years borne out of enjoyment, passion and frustration of watching Alloa. 

There's a very simple calculus for success at Alloa.

Get playoffs = success

You can play the nicest football but if you don't win games you won't be manager for long. See Peter Grant's Alloa vs Dick Campbell's Arbroath for comparison.

Brian Rice has achieved exactly on target this season and if we scrape playoffs by launching the ball to Sammon next year for 90 minutes every week I'll certainly take that. Will be a very difficult league with Hamilton, Queen of the South and Falkirk presumably competing for promotion. I expect Montrose will improve and Stirling will probably be a tough game because of the occasion. 

1 minute ago, Magic Hat said:

That is your opinion and I have mine, for me it has been a poor season, the quality of football has been awful to watch and have enjoyed very few games this year.

Only reason I brought up the Edinburgh game is that along with today they are the worst collapses I have seen from an Alloa team, both under Rice.

Don't rate Rice as a manager but if others do then they are 100 percent entitled to their opinion.

I have cheered, applauded, been close to tears and shouted at managers over the years borne out of enjoyment, passion and frustration of watching Alloa. 

Feel the same pain,trust me.Can't imagine watching Alloa under Rice next year,so I will most certainly not be.All the best to Alloa fans who will be there though.

12 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

well we will agree to differ

But!   we were not capable of galvanising at all with  arguably two best players/ defenders off the park with no decent subs to replace them with

I will Judge rice on next season with more of a chance to bring in new players and then we shall see if he is up to it or not .

Fair enough Vegetableman happy to agree to differ. Not confident but hope you are right.

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Who would’ve thought we would have a back line of Buchanan, MacIver, Graham, O’Donnell and Coulson?! One nearly 40 yo defender and the rest attackers and youth attackers!

Can’t fault the players today. Never seen a team deal with so much adversity. I will never complain about an injury ‘crisis’ again as I’ve never seen anything like it today! 

Proud of the players all things considered. A sad way to end the season. Also, a sad way to end an Alloa career for a few of the players, Stanger in particular. Today definitely not reflective of what has been an excellent season for these young players.

FTFY 😉

😦

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Who would’ve thought we would have a back line of Buchanan, MacIver, Graham, O’Donnell and Coulson?! One defender and the rest attackers and youth attackers!

Can’t fault the players today. Never seen a team deal with so much adversity. I will never complain about an injury ‘crisis’ again as I’ve never seen anything like it today! 

Proud of the players all things considered. A sad way to end the season. Also, a sad way to end an Alloa career for a few of the players, Stanger in particular. Today definitely not reflective of what has been an excellent season for these young players.

I felt a real sense of pride applauding the players off. There were a good number of fans who stayed behind at the final whistle to do that. I hope the players appreciated it.

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

It probably is Printer and sure he will be here next season based on that.

I know I am in the minority but still don't rate him as a manager.

If people have enjoyed that this season then fair enough.

I acknowledge you are 100% entitled to your opinion, Magic Hat. 

Let’s get a bit of realism here. We finished the top part time team in the league. Injuries have been a big part in our season but we made the play offs, which was the target I assume at the start of season.

Im now looking forward to season 23-24 with many local derbies and hopefully a team that everyone can get behind 😃

Just now, OldCrabbitWasp said:

Let’s get a bit of realism here. We finished the top part time team in the league. Injuries have been a big part in our season but we made the play offs, which was the target I assume at the start of season.

Im now looking forward to season 23-24 with many local derbies and hopefully a team that everyone can get behind 😃

Don't forget Wee Kev's (#legend) testimonial on 24th June!

1 minute ago, Magic Hat said:

Surely this will be the last season of the best Alloa defender I have ever seen at the club, Andy Graham. Hope he gets some kind of position at the club.

Indeed. It would be good if we could we could keep Andy on as part of the coaching staff with a view to giving him a shot as manager when Rice moves on.

A lot will depend on whether Andy wants to keep playing. Will he want to drop down a league or two so he can get a regular game? 

Brian Rice very emotional in his post match interview on you tube, looks like he is really feeling for everyone associated with the club today. With this squad and injuries it’s the best we could have hoped for this season. I do wish more fans had stayed to applaud the players for the seasons efforts though. 

Any ideas what the comment was that Rankin mentioned in his post match interview? 

Seen it suggested it was the horrendous one that fucking oddball made on twitter the other night but Accies Twitter said it was something said at the game today 

1 minute ago, Sixtyten said:

I agree with the point about young Rankin. It must have been galling for him to be subbed, but he was very classy about it. Good on him.

Agree that was good to see, some players would have reacted badly to being subbed so soon.

A huge re-build pending for us over the summer and I just hope the manager gets the funds and has an idea in terms of players and planning required for next season.  It won't be easy with Hamilton,Qots , Falkirk, cove etc all in the hunt next season. 

Credit where it's due , I really didn't think we would make the play offs halfway through the season so a victory for the managers pragmatic approach with the resources he had at his disposal. I never thought we would trouble the play off contenders to be honest. 

I think this whole season has been a hangover from the wreckage of the previous campaign particularly financial.

We were sitting with near on 26 players last season and that came at a cost . Brian Rice was appointed and in essence, saved our certain relegation last February. This season has been one of consolidation on a much lesser financial budget.

Next season will be a test and as I alluded to earlier I sincerely hope that we have the resources available to make a challenge again. The team will need serious surgery as some great players were making their final bow today .