Alloa v Hamilton & Hamilton v Alloa

I know there is a generic play-off thread in the Championship forum but the game is worth a separate discussion. 

Although Alloa have been in the play-offs fairly regularly this time feels different in that we go in without any real expectations. We've had really good sides who I always felt had a great chance of winning. This team has done well to get to fourth but it isn't at the same level as those other Alloa sides. That isn't to say there aren't good players in the squad - there are - but after 36 games I'm not sure we know our best team or shape, we don't have established partnerships in key areas and don't know how to best utilise our best player. We actually go into the play-offs on the back of four home defeats in a row. 

The flip side is that it is absolutely a free hit for Alloa. There is definite pressure on Hamilton to stay up and Falkirk to get up, while Airdrie will probably feel an element of pressure after narrowly missing out last year.  And there is undoubtedly an Alloa team there good enough to beat any of the other sides, if enough of them are fit (significant questions over this, it would appear) and if we were able to bring it all together. 

Hopefully we can have a proper go tomorrow night anyway and see where it leaves us for Saturday. 

Edited by Waspie

Can't help but feel wrong forum.🙃 Match thread traditionally gets made in the championship thread for the Championship side in the Championship playoff.

I just feel like the manager was warning us on Saturday about the injuries so I feel like it might be really threadbare now but even worse to think about if we make it through to next week. Hamilton are a complete unknown quantity for me. Their game on Saturday was poor. Arbroath comfortably the better side but Hamilton held on. I don't see anything to expect they'll be any better going forward against us so it might be a bit of a brutal watch.

I would invite everyone to give their energy to Conor Sammon - I just don't see where the goals are coming from otherwise and the big man will equal his greatest ever scoring tally for a season with one goal.

Recent home form and the possibility of a stretched squad could make cause for concern going into tomorrow. 

In reality however, form goes out of the window for these playoff games and alloas record in playoffs are fairly decent. I think this is probably the game we wanted to be in rather than facing Falkirk but that doesn't make it an easy match up. 

I do feel that we will miss Mikey Doyle over the next 2 games and hopefully Taggart will be fit to slot into the full back position. 

Would like to go into the away game with a decent advantage so going for an ambitious 2-0 home win with goals from Sammon and Cawley. 

I'm with you, it's a total free hit for us. Just getting into the playoffs is probably seen as a successful season. 

With Doyle not available, I'm hoping Taggs is fit enough to play. Same with Church or Strachan so we can have recognised wing backs.

I thought the mention of injuries was maybe mind games from Rice but doesn't seem likely. Could be a good chance for fringe players to show they deserve a contract for next season.

9 hours ago, Waspie said:

We actually go into the play-offs on the back of four home defeats in a row. 

Pretty bizarre that our home form was best in the division not so long ago and we struggled to get wins on the road- then it totally flipped as the season drew to a close, with some decent away wins.

59 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Pretty bizarre that our home form was best in the division not so long ago and we struggled to get wins on the road- then it totally flipped as the season drew to a close, with some decent away wins.

Caveat it with it being the 4 full time sides at home on the bounce in the last quarter. I think the only thing that was worrying was the easy goals given away. Airdrie was decided by a rocket and we clawed our way back in with Scougall's penalty against Falkirk before they scored from two sensational crosses. Queen of the South hurt...

I think if we can cut out the errors we will compete against anyone... on the other hand we've made a few in quick succession which is never good for confidence.

It would be a very welcome surprise to see the Wasps return to the championship (especially at the expense of "full time" Falkirk), My ambition as a fan would be to see Alloa become an established championship side but the ups and downs are always.entertaining.

Rice's continual talking up of other teams is enough to make you wonder if it is mind games or is he reeling in the fans' expectations? Optimistically for Rice what better entry on your CV to get back into full time football than taking a PT club to promotion via the playoffs?

Ultimately I think the budget required will be too much for the squad rebuild needed to have a chance in the championship, although I cannot fault the players effort and commitment this season, there has been a lack of a killer instinct a little too often. 

I'll enjoy the playoffs the heart says championship, but the heid says league one next season. Happy to be wrong though. 

As others have said it's 2 free hits for us. Happy we got 4th despite performances which when good were very good & some which were really poor.

Have no expectations at all.........don't think we'll get a doing...but not expecting it too close either.

Heading up for this with no confidence whatsoever. Rankin is an imposter and will probably play for a 0-0 draw. If Accies get away with a draw or a goal defeat I would be reltatively happy.

39 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Mad to think that we are in the middle of May and Rankin still has no idea what his best team is 

Sounds familiar. To be fair to Brian Rice though he's had bad luck with injuries here and that certainly isn't the team he would have picked had a few key men been fit. Hopefully they can do enough tonight to keep us in the tie for the second leg. 

Thought Alloa were well worth their win. Their keeper had first real save after about 75 mins.

If you score on Saturday it's game over as Accies won't score twice.

Hopefully the lad who collapsed is ok.

Fair play to us for continuing to be impressively shite game after game.

Terrible result but, trying to be rational, not a disaster.

Not that it really matters, mind, if that's the form Airdrie are in.

11 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Thought Alloa were well worth their win. Their keeper had first real save after about 75 mins.

If you score on Saturday it's game over as Accies won't score twice.

Hopefully the lad who collapsed is ok.

he was sitting up in the dressing room after , no idea why he collapsed /fainted .