Aberdeen vs Hibernian

44 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I admit that I have no idea of what is or isn't a red card nowadays; however, if I was looking at that slowed down in the VAR van, then I would judge that a booking at worse.

He's kept his eyes on the ball and he's raised his foot in order to get the ball under control rather than with malicious intent.

I would book him for the reckless nature of his attempts to gain control of the ball.

40 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m fine with it being a booking. In general I’d rather we saw less red cards and at times it feels like VAR goes out of its way to find sendings off. I’d much prefer a game where red cards were exceptional incidents. 

I'm in total agreement that it should be a yellow.

But Shinnie and Jeggo were booked for 'following through' after perfect tackles. That's miles late and reckless. Surely Shinnies can't be deemed so bad it's judged as frivolous to appeal but that's fine?

I thought it was pretty close to being a red card at the game, and still think it is one of those that is marginal having seen it back. Saying that, I'm completely fine with it being a yellow card if that is what the referee has decided on the pitch. VAR, as seen with the Shinnie sending off and several other incidents recently, is being used too often for decisions that could feasibly be argued either way - and Campbell's tackle is in that bracket. If this can be the start of correcting that overinvolvement a little bit, I am completely fine with that. 

On a side note, I see some Hibs fans not being too keen on him - and they are much better placed to judge him overall than I am - but Joe Newell always looks like such a tidy midfield operator against us. I always rate him when I watch him live and I thought he was impressive again yesterday. 

46 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The Aberdeen fans have been gracious enough to admit that on second viewing it's definitely a penalty, but yet you can't admit that a player, in this day and age, going in on a player studs up and extremely high is a red. 

He never "went in on the player". He was going for the ball, missed the ball, but never made any clear contact with the player either. It was no more a red than the ridiculous reds handed out to both Shinnie and Jeggo.

3 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Anyone who still says this is not “endangering an opponent” is either deluded or just incapable of rational thought.

CLEAR red.

https://twitter.com/air_ingy/status/1657745481760374784?s=46&t=EGF21CR589CHViwzdY2JPw

Nice freeze frame that doesn't show an angle demonstrating the space between his foot and the players face.

14 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

LOL.

Which are you?

Deluded or incapable of rational thought?

I’ll let you decide 

Relying on a still image from a poor angle rather than taking the entirety of the footage from multiple angles into context. I think we all know who the deluded one is here.

Edited by StellarHibee

32 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Anyone who still says this is not “endangering an opponent” is either deluded or just incapable of rational thought.

CLEAR red.

https://twitter.com/air_ingy/status/1657745481760374784?s=46&t=EGF21CR589CHViwzdY2JPw

This is something that h*ns do, btw. :lol:

Spoiler

See also:

• Posing for pictures with Nigel Farage when he visits your city
  • Standing there respectfully whilst a full Ibrox belts out God Save the King
  • Banging on and on about achievements from 40 years ago because your team's won f**k all recently
Edited by HibsFan

8 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

This is something that h*ns do, btw. :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

See also:

• Posing for pictures with Nigel Farage when he visits your city
  • Standing there respectfully whilst a full Ibrox belts out God Save the King
  • Banging on and on about achievements from 40 years ago because your team's won f**k all recently

What is? 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

What is? 

21 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

Relying on a still image from a poor angle rather than taking the entirety of the footage from multiple angles into context. I think we all know who the deluded one is here.

As StellarHibee described.

42 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

CLEAR red.

We can't have it both ways, it was only a couple of weeks ago we said Shinnie's challenge shouldn't be judged by freeze frame and now we're doing exactly the same.

1 minute ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

We can't have it both ways, it was only a couple of weeks ago we said Shinnie's challenge shouldn't be judged by freeze frame and now we're doing exactly the same.

Ignoring any freeze frames and concentrating on the live action, Shinnie's foul which was verified as a red by the appeal board, did not endanger his opponent to the same degree that Campbell's head high challenge on Scales endangered Scales.

After a false start when we benefited from VAR for a couple of matches, it is predictably f**king us over week after week. It just goes to show, that whether there's technology or not, the central-belt based powers in this country will gladly continue to ensure Aberdeen are on the wrong end of the lion's share of decisions. 

On to the match itself. My fears on how this would go were realised, and the similarity to the 2018 match were spooky - only that I am unsure if the gap between the sides' respective performances was as stark that day.

Robson made the point that Hibs could go gung-ho, whereas we had more to protect/lose and there is maybe an element of truth in that. The players have to handle not being the team doing the chasing anymore.

Shinnie and McCrorie's absence is clearly starting to bite - and the way we were just throwing on random bodies almost took me back to the Motherwell home game back at the start of the season, when it was a shamblic mess and the opposition looked like they could score at will.

Coulson was badly exposed, as he tends to be anyway - but at least Richardson has physicality and pace, and if Robson/Agnew can work on his concentration, then maybe there's a player there. I think it was a mistake to go with a left-footed small attacking wing-back over him in trying to deal with Youan.

Hibs are normally a good opponent for us at Pittodrie, Normally because they seldom come up north trying to park the bus, and our players can get themselves up for it and more often than not, win the match.  Yesterday, I found myself thinking I would be delighted with a point very early into proceedings, despite the news of Hearts going a couple behind in Paisley.  Being honest, we were being ripped a new one at times, and only luck, good goalkeeping and last-ditch defending kept us in it.

If we do get third, it's going to be an absolute huff and puff over the line - feels far from a gimme, especially as bodies are dropping fast.

Edited by tarapoa

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

Ignoring any freeze frames and concentrating on the live action, Shinnie's foul which was verified as a red by the appeal board, did not endanger his opponent to the same degree that Campbell's head high challenge on Scales endangered Scales.

My view, and it's a matter of opinion and I don't know the current (absurd rules) but to me it's a case of a player 'going over the top' of the ball vrs high feet.

I'm not necessarily saying Shinnie's was a red but his challenge was such that he could've been perceived as going over the top.

This one yesterday was high feet, he spun round with his eyes on the ball and tried to play the ball by raising his feet.

It was reckless but, I believe, only worthy of a booking.

I don't know what they define as endangering an opponent. It's a contact game, a perfectly fair challenge can endanger an opponent and the opponent can also endanger himself by how he goes into a challenge.

I understand it's frustrating and Aberdeen seem to frequently get punished from these decisions rather than benefitting from them recently, but this challenge yesterday isn't a good example of this in my opinion.

I think this is the worst thing about VAR. That every decision or non-decision is being picked over in minute detail by fans and that actual play and quality (or lack of) of the game itself is secondary.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

After a false start when we benefited from VAR for a couple of matches, it is predictably f**king us over week after week. It just goes to show, that whether there's technology or not, the central-belt based powers in this country will gladly continue to ensure Aberdeen are on the wrong end of the lion's share of decisions. 

On to the match itself. My fears on how this would go were realised, and the similarity to the 2018 match were spooky - only that I am unsure if the gap between the sides' respective performances was as stark that day.

Robson made the point that Hibs could go gung-ho, whereas we had more to protect/lose and there is maybe an element of truth in that. The players have to handle not being the team doing the chasing anymore.

Shinnie and McCrorie's absence is clearly starting to bite - and the way we were just throwing on random bodies almost took me back to the Motherwell home game back at the start of the season, when it was a shamblic mess and the opposition looked like they could score at will.

Coulson was badly exposed, as he tends to be anyway - but at least Richardson has physicality and pace, and if Robson/Agnew can work on his concentration, then maybe there's a player there. I think it was a mistake to go with a left-footed small attacking wing-back over him in trying to deal with Youan.

Hibs are normally a good opponent for us at Pittodrie, Normally because they seldom come up north trying to park the bus, and our players can get themselves up for it and more often than not, win the match.  Yesterday, I found myself thinking I would be delighted with a point very early into proceedings, despite the news of Hearts going a couple behind in Paisley.  Being honest, we were being ripped a new one at times, and only luck, good goalkeeping and last-ditch defending kept us in it.

If we do get third, it's going to be an absolute huff and puff over the line - feels far from a gimme, especially as bodies are dropping fast.

We've suffered some truly awful decisions this season (and most other seasons) and would argue we are currently receiving it worse than everyone else in the league. Most recently: 

Shinnies Red card vs Ross County (multiple identical incidents have been overturned this season/apparently ours is a frivolous appeal)

Ross McCrorie's red Card vs St Mirren

Cantwell's push on Scales

Connor Goldson rugby tackle on Duk

I still question whether Newell should have been sent off for his stamp on Coulson ankle. I personally thought Campbell should have been sent off for the high boot on Scales. I'm not saying it was deliberate however it was dangerous and made contact to Scales' face. Killie had Kyle Vassel sent off for a high boot to the face (identical to Campbell's) against Hibs in February.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

24 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

We've suffered some truly awful decisions this season (and most other seasons) and would argue we are currently receiving it worse than everyone else in the league. Most recently: 

Shinnies Red card vs Ross County (multiple identical incidents have been overturned this season/apparently ours is a frivolous appeal)

Ross McCrorie's red Card vs St Mirren

Cantwell's push on Scales

Connor Goldson rugby tackle on Duk

I still question whether Newell should have been sent off for his stamp on Coulson ankle. I personally thought Campbell should have been sent off for the high boot on Scales. I'm not saying it was deliberate however it was dangerous and made contact to Scales' face. Killie had Kyle Vassel sent off for a high boot to the face (identical to Campbell's) against Hibs in February.

I’d like to see the club call out these decisions. 

There’s been far too many. 

FFS, The Rangers get one decision against them in a game, they release some cack-handed statement within hours of the game finishing, the SFA respond within hours & the ref doesn’t get seen refereeing them for months.

We say nothing & get saddled with that cheat Beaton every time we go to his clubs ground.