Scottish Cup 2023/24

Marten

5 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Thought the police may move the Hearts tie but I see Ainslie's capacity is 3612 so no reason it should be moved. Well, apart from the police being the police of course.

Don't get the attraction of Clyde v Aberdeen. Forfar v Hibs would better for the BBC's love of a potential upset. A real old fashioned ground and you'd get a great atmosphere. They might also be tempted by Ross County v Partick given what happened in the play-off. But of course our public broadcaster is a law unto themselves so will probably go for Brora v Cove as both teams are called Rangers. 

😆

Penalties galore too.

15 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Thought the police may move the Hearts tie but I see Ainslie's capacity is 3612 so no reason it should be moved. Well, apart from the police being the police of course.

Don't get the attraction of Clyde v Aberdeen. Forfar v Hibs would better for the BBC's love of a potential upset. A real old fashioned ground and you'd get a great atmosphere. They might also be tempted by Ross County v Partick given what happened in the play-off. But of course our public broadcaster is a law unto themselves so will probably go for Brora v Cove as both teams are called Rangers. 

Could be a few penalties in that game then. 

Bonnyrigg v Falkirk and Forfar v Hibs should be the first choice TV ties.  Airdrie v St Johnstone arguably the most interesting tie but can see why broadcasters might worry about a poor crowd* for that one.  Celtic v Buckie with a lunchtime kick off would sum up the contempt broadcasters have for supporters.  

*  Irony noted......

1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

That was essentially the case in England up until a few years ago. Generally agreed to be a horrible idea, and so scrapped.

It was the case in Scotland if you go back far enough. Non league Alloa drew 0-0 with Rangers in 1921 (and according to the Alloa fans a late effort cleared by Rangers was actually over the line) but the directors then agreed to play the replay at Ibrox too, getting a far bigger crowd but infuriating the Alloa support. Rangers won 4-1. Just one example though, was very common practice I think. 

Motherwell away not the worst draw for us, ground we haven't been to for almost 30 years. Won the last time 😁

I'm sure the Raith fans will be buzzing at the day out in Livingston. At least they've got the bonus of a ticket to the next round.

I've seen them a couple times and been impressed, seen us more than enough and been depressed. Unless we improve drastically (and forget that we're usually shite in this cup anyway), then Raith will be strolling into the next round.

1 minute ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Sold out ground, possibility of an upset.  Just a bit more interesting than most of the ties in a dull draw.  

Bonnyrigg beating Falkirk would indeed be an upset, but not the kind that creates a story big enough for TV to take a gamble on it not simply being a routine 3-0 away win. 

19 minutes ago, The Master said:

Bonnyrigg beating Falkirk would indeed be an upset, but not the kind that creates a story big enough for TV to take a gamble on it not simply being a routine 3-0 away win. 

Perhaps, but if TV are going to gamble....  Will be an all time low if they cover both of the uglies but not a surprise.

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

It was the case in Scotland if you go back far enough. Non league Alloa drew 0-0 with Rangers in 1921 (and according to the Alloa fans a late effort cleared by Rangers was actually over the line) but the directors then agreed to play the replay at Ibrox too, getting a far bigger crowd but infuriating the Alloa support. Rangers won 4-1. Just one example though, was very common practice I think.

Berwick went step further in 1936 and simply sold tie to Celtic who preferred to play league game at Hearts.

It then got put a stop to, and since only been on 'safety' grounds (real or contrived).

2 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Bonnyrigg v Falkirk and Forfar v Hibs should be the first choice TV ties.  Airdrie v St Johnstone arguably the most interesting tie

Other than about 20 people on this website, I can’t think of anyone who would consider Airdrie vs St Johnstone even remotely interesting for TV. Only chance that gets picked is if Levein using his influence with the Beeb again.

As for the Bonnyrigg vs Falkirk shout, I’m gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was a joke.

7 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Who will wear the hoops when the Celtic play Buckie ?

Fact - Buckie play in green & white hoops cause Celtic donated their first ever strip.

Ha ha years ago Annan played Buckie- great wee drinking toon - met a Buckie/ Rangers fan - would wear a green scarf but no the hoops !

So Hibs gave Celtic their hooped jerseys (before Celtic stole all their players and forced them to close for a year), and then Celtic did the same with Buckie (minus the closing them down and nicking their players bit)? Well, you can add Buckie to the list of teams I dont like then.. 😄

Hope Kelty Hearts smash them, next time they meet in the Scottish Cup! 😎

Edited by Kyle Reese