Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

I've heard a few calling for Steve Clarke to go. Reminds me of when Strachan left on the basis of not qualifying for a major competition to be replaced by... another manager who previously failed to qualify. And if Clarke were to leave I think we would appoint Moyes. If Clarke failing to play attacking football frustrates you,  Moyes wouldnt be different. I also don't think it would be an improvement. Other managers could even take us backwards. 

I've also seen a fair bit of criticism of team selection and tactics. IMO some are misplaced as after the first game Gunn could only have been replaced by someone not as good. Ralston would have been replaced by someone who was on a par at best. 

As for tactics/ formation. Both teams went for it and changed for ten minutes last night and we got opened up. It could have gone either way. For two of the three games at this tournament Scotland competed well and it could have went either way. I wouldn't have made that many changes to those chosen by Clarke. Defensive football/or 5-4-1 seems to be criticised but it worked well in qualifying and will allow us to keep qualifying in future with this level of player. We've qualified for 2 euros after waiting 20 odd years of not qualifying.

I thought the reaction on here to what Clarke said was a bit hysterical. I then saw the actual comments. I then saw the clip of him saying it. For all the people on here who say he's dour and criticise him for not saying much, if "There no point talking to him he's Argentinian. Why is he here? Why don't we have a European ref?" is the sort of nonsense he hits out with when he is worked up then, well, it's probably best we don't hear from him much. He'd make the head's gone thread look like a church service. What he said and how he said it was an obviously absurd emotional reaction right in the aftermath, but it's not acceptable.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

I thought it was pretty common knowledge this is why he wasn’t here? There was a whole incident will him pulling out of the squad in 2021 with an ‘injury’ that Clarke had serious doubts over.

Nah - he was in squads following that incident. 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Tierney isn't always stellar, but when fit is generally reliable. I agree with pretty much everything you write, aside from my view that McGregor is downright pish.

McGregor is inferior to Gilmour and when you are looking to win a game you don't need both of them. They both like to drop deep with the centre halfs and pick up the ball but when you have 5 guys not part of the attack it is way too easy for your opponent to deny good forward passes.

Both of them could have played vs Germany if we were going to sit in and try to keep it tight. They are much better players for playing in a shape and defending compared to someone like McGinn who really likes to go out and press the game.

3 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

If McInnes is the answer, I have absolutely no idea what the question is.

How about:

Can you think of a manager who can organise and motivate a group of ordinary players to punch above their weight?

FWIW, I'm not sure but he has to be in with a shout.

25 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

How about:

Can you think of a manager who can organise and motivate a group of ordinary players to punch above their weight?

FWIW, I'm not sure but he has to be in with a shout.

No, he doesn’t. 

The absolute definition of a lazy appointment, and just appointing the first bog standard Scottish manager you see.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

That's the thing that annoyed me the most about Friday. I can accept the defeat, I can accept losing heavily and that we were caught up in the occasion and that things went wrong from minute one etc, but to come out after and say "4 points is the target" when you have 2 games left and 6 points to play for is incredible. Even a manager of some no mark like Burnley or something who had Man City and Arsenal to play last, they'd be publicly saying "there are 2 games left, 6 points up for grabs, let's see where we are after those games" etc. And he has the cheek to call some fans and the media negative? Get that attitude right in the fucking bin.  

Gunn was saying in the media pre-Germany that the game was a “free hit”. It’s a pathetic attitude.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

"If Clarke is to stay then he needs to adapt - and now" 

This basically sums it up for me.

Given how unreliable Tierney is it’s absurd that we rarely have an alternative approach to playing without him. I like McKenna as a defender, but f**k me watching him lumbering into midfield last night was depressing.

46 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

McGregor is inferior to Gilmour and when you are looking to win a game you don't need both of them. They both like to drop deep with the centre halfs and pick up the ball but when you have 5 guys not part of the attack it is way too easy for your opponent to deny good forward passes.

Both of them could have played vs Germany if we were going to sit in and try to keep it tight. They are much better players for playing in a shape and defending compared to someone like McGinn who really likes to go out and press the game.

McGregor didn't play against Northern Ireland and we really could've done with him helping Gilmour out in buildup rather than McTominay playing high in pretty much a 3-1-6. 

55 minutes ago, BonnieClyde said:

I've heard a few calling for Steve Clarke to go. Reminds me of when Strachan left on the basis of not qualifying for a major competition to be replaced by... another manager who previously failed to qualify. And if Clarke were to leave I think we would appoint Moyes. If Clarke failing to play attacking football frustrates you,  Moyes wouldnt be different. I also don't think it would be an improvement. Other managers could even take us backwards. 

I've also seen a fair bit of criticism of team selection and tactics. IMO some are misplaced as after the first game Gunn could only have been replaced by someone not as good. Ralston would have been replaced by someone who was on a par at best. 

As for tactics/ formation. Both teams went for it and changed for ten minutes last night and we got opened up. It could have gone either way. For two of the three games at this tournament Scotland competed well and it could have went either way. I wouldn't have made that many changes to those chosen by Clarke. Defensive football/or 5-4-1 seems to be criticised but it worked well in qualifying and will allow us to keep qualifying in future with this level of player. We've qualified for 2 euros after waiting 20 odd years of not qualifying.

Think you've probably heard about 99% of posters calling for him to go.

If that's your opinion fair enough, I think with the players we have we could be doing alot better.

15 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Given how unreliable Tierney is it’s absurd that we rarely have an alternative approach to playing without him. I like McKenna as a defender, but f**k me watching him lumbering into midfield last night was depressing.

Yes.

I'm a massive fan of Tierney but his injury problems are a huge issue. It's a crying shame for the boy because I think if he stayed fit he would be as good as, if not better, than Robertson.

I go to Crete on Thursday and was planning to take 6 Scotland strips as part of my wardrobe. So that’s not happening now. I’d end up chinning some smart arse Englishman and I’m far too pretty to end up in a Greek jail. About to go shopping and I hate shopping. I blame Clarke for this, ergo, Clarke out. Silverburn is a hellhole for degenerates.

Also, I refuse to believe that man-for-man you'd have Hungary ahead of us on squad talent, so why were we being outplayed by them for large parts of the game?

20 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Also, I refuse to believe that man-for-man you'd have Hungary ahead of us on squad talent, so why were we being outplayed by them for large parts of the game?

Very much this. If it's not the quality of the individual players it's the quality of the setup, organisation and coaching. 

On Moyes I think people underestimate his record, the guy has managed in the Best League in the World™ for 20 odd years with very consistent results, notably often with fairly average personnel. His consistency is phenomenal. His football is only dour in the sense that it's more direct than most modern coaches, not in the sense that it has zero attacking intent whatsoever. 

42 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Also, I refuse to believe that man-for-man you'd have Hungary ahead of us on squad talent, so why were we being outplayed by them for large parts of the 

Yep. Very beatable team, who were pretty over rated going into the tournament.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned and not sure if it’s true but someone has told me that Scotland has had the least attempts on target any team has ever had at the Euros.  If true, that’s worrying to say the least, particularly given Shankland got very few minutes.  Regardless,  I think it’s time for Clarke to go.

4 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned and not sure if it’s true but someone has told me that Scotland has had the least attempts on target any team has ever had at the Euros.  If true, that’s worrying to say the least, particularly given Shankland got very few minutes.  Regardless,  I think it’s time for Clarke to go.

Scotland received more cards than shots on target over the tournament also, records broken all over the place. Worst ever opening defeat as well.

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Think you've probably heard about 99% of posters calling for him to go.

If that's your opinion fair enough, I think with the players we have we could be doing alot better.

What players 

1 minute ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Scotland received more cards than shots on target over the tournament also, records broken all over the place. Worst ever opening defeat as well.

The stat that got me was that Rudiger is the joint top goal scorer for Scotland in the history of our participation in the Euros.