Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

2 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Steve Clarke is still the best man for the job, let's not lose the run of ourselves.

Is he really though? In a world of out of work managers and coaches, of all different nationalities, he's the best man for the job? 

Might be a bit of ramble and I don’t strongly feel either way.

I’ll be 28 in a couple of weeks and Clarke’s taken us to the first tournaments that I can remember. (Even if they have been expanded). 
We’ve had some really good results in qualifying, he’d found a system that works getting Tierney and Robbo into the one team. Got Mctominay firing etc. 

In the lead up he’s had injuries to deal with in Hickey, Patterson, Dykes, Ferguson and during the euros lost Tierney.

The past few weeks my opinion on him has changed quite a bit though, I feel like Callum McGregor is undroppable. Adams started each of the 3 games, felt like Shankland offered a fair bit when he came on at the end there, that may be due to the game opening up significantly though. He’s got his obvious favourites too. 

Some of his comments are weird too talking about “negative Norman’s” then he sets up like that against the Swiss and Hungarians is just odd. 

Im pretty sure anytime changing the NT manager comes up it gets mentioned how skint the SFA are. Seen Moyes mentioned a few times, could we afford him? 

I feel I’m in a weird position where I’m grateful for what he’s done but think it’s maybe time he moved on? Absolutely 0 idea who we’d be able to afford/attract. 

Disclaimer: I absolutely reserve the right to change my opinion when I’m not half cut 

4 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Steve Clarke is still the best man for the job, let's not lose the run of ourselves.

To do what?  Not to lead us out a group stage at a major tournament he doesn't seem to be.

1 minute ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Might be a bit of ramble and I don’t strongly feel either way.

I’ll be 28 in a couple of weeks and Clarke’s taken us to the first tournaments that I can remember. (Even if they have been expanded). 
We’ve had some really good results in qualifying, he’d found a system that works getting Tierney and Robbo into the one team. Got Mctominay firing etc. 

In the lead up he’s had injuries to deal with in Hickey, Patterson, Dykes, Ferguson and during the euros lost Tierney.

The past few weeks my opinion on him has changed quite a bit though, I feel like Callum McGregor is undroppable. Adams started each of the 3 games, felt like Shankland offered a fair bit when he came on at the end there, that may be due to the game opening up significantly though. He’s got his obvious favourites too. 

Some of his comments are weird too talking about “negative Norman’s” then he sets up like that against the Swiss and Hungarians is just odd. 

Im pretty sure anytime changing the NT manager comes up it gets mentioned how skint the SFA are. Seen Moyes mentioned a few times, could we afford him? 

I feel I’m in a weird position where I’m grateful for what he’s done but think it’s maybe time he moved on? Absolutely 0 idea who we’d be able to afford/attract. 

Disclaimer: I absolutely reserve the right to change my opinion when I’m not half cut 

A system that works?? Is it an off the pitch system for ironing the strips or something?

Edited by Bing.McCrosby

Just now, Bing.McCrosby said:

A system that works?? Is it an off the pitch system for ironing the trips or something?

“He'd found a system” past tense, don’t think we’d have started so well in qualifying with a shite system? 

Tactics were shocking, they were sitting in so what do Scotland do, drive through the middle hoping for a bobble or a bounce to fall on a plate. thought the centre backs did well but this wasn't a game to be left with praising the backline. 

Clarke has taken us to a major tournament after decades without one, that shouldn't be overlooked. 

As a side note, 350 plus posts and I've finally gotten my first red dot 😀, was going to happen eventually.

5 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Celtic pay £2m plus for players to sit on their bench all the time.   

He would have been dropped, if it wasn't shite like McRorie as the alternative.   Would McRorie done any better today?  I would hardly think so.   I would be surprised if any get called up again.  Should have called up Chris Cadden. ;) 

Would love to know when they last paid £2m to another Scottish club. For a squad player.

Sometimes it's just easier to take a step back than doubling down.

4 minutes ago, David1979 said:

Is he really though? In a world of out of work managers and coaches, of all different nationalities, he's the best man for the job? 

That would want to work in international management? For Scotland?

I believe so.

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

“He'd found a system” past tense, don’t think we’d have started so well in qualifying with a shite system? 

That was quite a while ago mate, have a look at our last 12 games. This isn't a surprise.

4 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

To do what?  Not to lead us out a group stage at a major tournament he doesn't seem to be.

There's never been a Scotland manager in all of our 150-year history that got us out of the group stage at a national tournament, though. He's the first manager in well over 20 years to get us INTO the group stages, and he's done it twice. Tonight's performance was far from ideal, but this is not a bad tournament performance for us - it's more or less 'business as usual' for the 70s to the 90s, which is an improvement on more recent history.

I'm agnostic on whether he has to go now or not, but there's a good chance that this is going to be a wee high-water mark for Scotland before we go back to not qualifying at all again.

Edited by Aim Here

Just now, Bing.McCrosby said:

That was quite a while ago mate, have a look at our last 12 games. This isn't a surprise.

Yip. So much video and data for teams to sift through. We've been found out.

It's been clear for months that we needed to change it.

16 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Don't even kid on that he'll stay! He has fucking embarrassed us and even the players are having to bite their lip not to say we didn't go for it. Especially the Swiss game when the stupid c**t punches the air at a draw. He is a fucking loser

Ok, Spyro. 

13 minutes ago, Lex said:

Unlike Clarke, he at least has had some success at a decent level with more than one club. 

He actually doesn’t mind mixing it up either and gets near the other teams goal . A huge improvement 

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

There's never been a Scotland manager in all of our 150-year history that got us out of the group stage at a national tournament, though. He's the first manager in well over 20 years to get us INTO the group stages, and he's done it twice. Tonight's performance was far from ideal, but this is not a bad tournament performance for us - it's more or less 'business as usual' for the 70s to the 90s, which is an improvement on more recent history.

🤣 Must have had a fair swally.

Just now, camer0n_mcd said:

I believe so.

Your delusional if you don't think coach's would want the job. We've good players it's good money fantastic work life balance.

Just now, camer0n_mcd said:

I believe so.

I'd agree if you were talking about them having to actually coach in Scotland full-time, but they wouldn't. They could still live in Italy, Germany, Spain, or wherever they call home. They'd be spending most of their time watching players anyway, so they'd be going to England and Italy, and the occasional Scottish game, likely booked up alongside some golf.

Hardly asking them to live in Easterhouse, is it?