Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

We went from tepid shite, straight to baws oot McLean at left back and a midfield one of Callum McGregor that was getting ripped open.

If only there was an in-between we could have attempted instead.

A foreign manager possibly. Barron, Watson, Miller, McCowan, Danny Armstrong and Spittal all robbed of call ups. All of them listed are better quality than Armstrong, Jack and Ralston. Need a coach that can play a good style of football. Other teams can do that no bother.

Moyes is a total dinosaur. His sole tactic is lumping high balls into a big carthorse in the middle. His team talk is " get stuck into them". It wouldn't surprise me if he was given the job though.

Just now, David1979 said:

I'd agree if you were talking about them having to actually coach in Scotland full-time, but they wouldn't. They could still live in Italy, Germany, Spain, or wherever they call home. They'd be spending most of their time watching players anyway, so they'd be going to England and Italy, and the occasional Scottish game, likely booked up alongside some golf.

Hardly asking them to live in Easterhouse, is it? 

Clarke lives down south I’m sure, think it was cited as one of the reasons he took the job 

Just now, PELE said:

Moyes is a total dinosaur. His sole tactic is lumping high balls into a big carthorse in the middle. His team talk is " get stuck into them". It wouldn't surprise me if he was given the job though.

Christ he could rip a mask off mission  impossible style and reveal he's been steve all along.

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

Clarke lives down south I’m sure, think it was cited as one of the reasons he took the job 

Exactly, it's international football. A totally different ball game for managers. 

I'd be sounding out the likes of Roberto Mancini, Max Allegri, Rafa Benitez, Niko Kovac, and even Graham Potter.

Can we please stop the patter than we couldn’t find anyone better or hire a foreigner. 

Hilariously maybe the only team with a worse manager at this tournament is that lot with Southgate. 

The tournament has been full of teams playing attacking football and from managers from different countries leading them.

From tactics to preparation to mentality to training it’s clearly been a complete clusterfuck again. 

Just now, David1979 said:

Exactly, it's international football. A totally different ball game for managers. 

I'd be sounding out the likes of Roberto Mancini, Max Allegri, Rafa Benitez, Niko Kovac, and even Graham Potter.

What's Slaven Bilic up to these days?

4 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

There's never been a Scotland manager in all of our 150-year history that got us out of the group stage at a national tournament, though. He's the first manager in well over 20 years to get us INTO the group stages, and he's done it twice. Tonight's performance was far from ideal, but this is not a bad tournament performance for us - it's more or less 'business as usual' for the 70s to the 90s, which is an improvement on more recent history.

I'm agnostic on whether he has to go now or not, but there's a good chance that this is going to be a wee high-water mark for Scotland before we go back to not qualifying at all again.

You’re comparing apples with oranges though. Qualifying for the knock-outs in a 24 team Euros is an easier task than in a 16 team Euros, 8 team Euros or in the World Cup.

I’m not actively chasing him out the door but if it comes out in the next few weeks he’s walked away I wouldn’t be sorely upset anymore.

He has got the excuse to have lost Dykes, Ferguson, Hickey and Patterson for this one and I don’t think anyone can argue that most nations would see a drop off if they lost both their starting right backs going into a tournament. 

He’s contracted for the next qualifying campaign, so I don’t see him going. If we qualify for the World Cup all is forgiven for me.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

2 minutes ago, David1979 said:

Every single one of these guys would laugh in our faces if we approached them.

That was brutal tonight. A must win game and any time we went forward everything went square or backwards, it was like watching rugby! 

We have no pace and no idea how to break down a team that is happy to play with 11 men behind the ball and hit us on the counter. 

To take until well into injury time before having a shot on target and that was from a centre half is not good enough. The Hungarians were comfortable the full game and like Neuer in the first game, the Hungarian keeper could have brought a sleeping bag with him for all he was needed. 

I have no real issues whether he stays or goes. If he stays then something has to be changed tactically and playing style wise because all three performances have been mind numbingly boring. 

I have a feeling he may well say he has taken us as far as he can

3 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Would love to know when they last paid £2m to another Scottish club. For a squad player.

Sometimes it's just easier to take a step back than doubling down.

You didn't mention anything about being Scottish but they paid more than £3m for Turnbull who sat on the bench for them as a squad player. 

Maik Nawrocki £5m

Marco Tilio £2m

Odin Thiago Holm £3m

Hyeok-kyu Kwon £1.5m

Hyeon-gyu Oh £3m

There's a few bench warmer squad players over the past 2,3 years.  Ralston got a new contract with them quite recently too as they punted a few of the above.

Anyway arguments done.  We are out.  McRorie wouldnt have done better than Ralston the night.

The selection and the choice not to sub Callum McGregor though is scandalous.