Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

I can't see Clarke all of a sudden changing styles and personel dramatically. 

Bring someone new in, attacking minded. What's the point in shitfesting it if its the same old outcome. At least try something different. 

Even my mum said we are too nice. All the other teams are so much smarter at the little clever fouls and tricks. 

Edited by Acastus

5 minutes ago, Acastus said:

Even my mum said we are too nice. All the other teams are so much smarter at the little clever fouls and tricks. 

Too nice. That's a new one - my first thoughts are that we aren't too nice, but I'm open to being convinced round. After the Switzerland game I thought we were going to be the dirtiest team in the tournament for fouls and cards.

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Too nice. That's a new one - my first thoughts are that we aren't too nice, but I'm open to being convinced round. After the Switzerland game I thought we were going to be the dirtiest team in the tournament for fouls and cards.

Too soft prob more appropriate. Cynical/clever fouls that other teams do. Example the Hingary goal we just let them sweep through rather than take a man out. 

14 minutes ago, Acastus said:

Too soft prob more appropriate. Cynical/clever fouls that other teams do. Example the Hingary goal we just let them sweep through rather than take a man out. 

Fair enough, I'll keep it in mind.

A damning indictment is the longer international breaks that Clarke has more time to work with the squad the worse our performances seem to be. 

The 2 euros and the Ireland/Ukraine break were some of the worst performances you could see. 

Even the Norway win was a horror show until they gifted us a goal and Hibsed it. Georgia game went about as expected with that pitch. 

12 hours ago, SH Panda said:

All of them, even at there very best, have had crap players who probably wouldn't even make the Scotland squad.

As you would expect with a small nation.

We actually have a better head to head record against both Croatia and Denmark (far better in the case of the latter). For Serbia it's 50-50 but we beat them in the last match. Uruguay are 1 win ahead of us, but we also beat them in the last match.

Not too shabby.

Head to head when it matters? They've beaten us. They've got top players at the very best sides in the world and have done consistently. Croatia are a relatively new nation and have a much better qualification rate and when in tournaments they reach the latter stages. Serbia are a new nation and have made more world cups than us in recent times. Denmark have been better than us for years and have produced better players for the last 25 years.

I don't really see the point you're making?

1 hour ago, SH Panda said:

I would absolutely welcome immigrants from as many countries as possible, as I said we should be aiming for an 18% increase to match someone like Serbia. 

18% is a pretty impossible target to hit, like asking folk to only consume 14 units of alcohol a week spread over at least three days. We've not managed that sort of increase over the past century despite a baby boom and 2004 EU expansion/freedom of movement.

That said, in footballing terms we wouldn't need 18% to be comparable with Serbia, as their demographics are rotten. In terms of people who will parent the next generation of talent the gap is far closer.

As much as I enjoy this sort of chat, it's verging on "what if the Germans had won the war?" realms of hypothetical. It's not going to happen.

Clarke is just the latest in a long line of Scottish managers (and players) who can’t do it when it matters.

The other small nations who manage to perform well at tournaments, must have something we don’t. This latest head-to-head nonsense - which I have to commend as at least another string to his bow after the population size stuff, which Souness has also latched on to - is just tragic.

It’s a couple of days on and I’ve gone from ‘probably out’ to ‘I don’t really care what he does’. 

27 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It’s a couple of days on and I’ve gone from ‘probably out’ to ‘I don’t really care what he does’. 

Herein lies the problem a bit. After the last Euros debacle the dust settled, people got less angry, Clarke carried on.. got a few decent results and a ha.. it was right not to punt him 

And here we are again. As others said we won't qualify for the World Cup. We will qualify for the next Euros (both of these are givens imo whoever we have in charge) and we don't move forward. 

Can bookmark all these posts for 2028 and yet more scudding disappointment. It's not great.

10 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Herein lies the problem a bit. After the last Euros debacle the dust settled, people got less angry, Clarke carried on.. got a few decent results and a ha.. it was right not to punt him 

And here we are again. As others said we won't qualify for the World Cup. We will qualify for the next Euros (both of these are givens imo whoever we have in charge) and we don't move forward. 

Can bookmark all these posts for 2028 and yet more scudding disappointment. It's not great.

With a bit of luck we could make the world cup

Should be second seeds in qualifying, and even if we come third we will get a play off from being in group A of the nations league. 

Not sure I back us to be able to put out the likes of Austria, Ukraine, Serbia etc. in a series of play off matches but it isn't outwith the realms of possibility 

On 25/06/2024 at 08:39, Bing.McCrosby said:

Yeah pretty good chance they won't, but one has 🤣

Also, “not winning the World Cup” is hardly a valid reason for us not to learn lessons from these countries. The last 18 world cups (and 20 of the 22 overall) have been won by massive nations that dwarf our population and resources.

Your Croatias, Belgiums and Uruguays of this world are regular participants in the last 16 and quarter finals of major tournaments with occasional runs to the semi finals. That’s the sort of record we would absolutely bite anyone’s hand off for. 

On the immigration stuff, there are many good reasons why Scotland (and the UK as a whole) would benefit greatly from a more welcoming immigration policy. We’ve actually seen it in practice with the Ukrainian refugees but that doesn’t seem to apply to refugees from other areas or economic migrants for whatever reason. The immigration policy could be a lot more welcoming and we’d all be better off for it.

”It might improve the Scotland team” probably isn’t anywhere near the top of that list. 

4 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

On the immigration stuff, there are many good reasons why Scotland (and the UK as a whole) would benefit greatly from a more welcoming immigration policy. We’ve actually seen it in practice with the Ukrainian refugees but that doesn’t seem to apply to refugees from other areas or economic migrants for whatever reason. The immigration policy could be a lot more welcoming and we’d all be better off for it.

”It might improve the Scotland team” probably isn’t anywhere near the top of that list. 

Worth noting that for the last year we have figures for, 2022, were the highest ever recorded.  More people immigrated into the UK in that year than did between 1980 and 2000.  Immigrants from countries like India, Nigeria and Zimbabwe far outnumber the arrivals from Ukraine.