Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

12 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Football fans don't know the game well enough to say the manager should be doing x or y. Some think they do, which is worse. What kind of a person tells someone else how they should be doing their job? It begins with A and ends in hole.

Proofs in the pudding, there's plenty on here who were right 👌

14 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Proofs in the pudding, there's plenty on here who were right 👌

Is that all that's important to you? Being right? You've been buzzing since the Hungary game - never seen you this happy before.

I'm trying to make a reasonable point that fans are overblowing how bad the Hungary performance was because the outcome disappointing.

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

The limit on videos is 8mb which is why I can't show more. I could put it up via a third party and link it. It also gives you the time stamp: 4 minutes. Is this one better? You think I'm just making it up, but it's in the footage. Go back and see for yourself. We vary how we build up in the first phase of play.

Another different part of the game showing the same thing. Build up with a back-4 even though the formation is listed as a back-3. 

No denying that the shape is fluid on the ball. That’s the case with almost every team.

The problem can come from it needing one of the defenders to push up. In those videos it’s Ralston moving further up the wing and Hendry shifting to right back, but it’s also common for one of the centre halves to step into midfield.

Without Hickey and Tierney (and to a lesser extent Patterson) what do we actually get from the defenders pushing up? With respect to the defence that played - Robertson aside - they’re not going to offer much. I think I’ll be getting flashbacks from witnessing McKenna cosplaying as a midfielder for much of the game.

11 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Is that all that's important to you? Being right? You've been buzzing since the Hungary game - never seen you this happy before.

I'm trying to make a reasonable point that fans are overblowing how bad the Hungary performance was because the outcome disappointing.

Well you've never seen me. 

Well yeah it's important you need to work it out, your telling the mr on the money that fans are sometimes wrong. Don't I know it.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

No denying that the shape is fluid on the ball. That’s the case with almost every team.

The problem can come from it needing one of the defenders to push up. In those videos it’s Ralston moving further up the wing and Hendry shifting to right back, but it’s also common for one of the centre halves to step into midfield.

Without Hickey and Tierney (and to a lesser extent Patterson) what do we actually get from the defenders pushing up? With respect to the defence that played - Robertson aside - they’re not going to offer much. I think I’ll be getting flashbacks from witnessing McKenna cosplaying as a midfielder for much of the game.

This is it in a nutshell that Numbers doesn't seem to be grasping very well of. 

49 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Without Hickey and Tierney (and to a lesser extent Patterson) what do we actually get from the defenders pushing up? With respect to the defence that played - Robertson aside - they’re not going to offer much.

42 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

This is it in a nutshell that Numbers doesn't seem to be grasping very well of. 

I haven't completely finished that, but I'll put up my interpretation when I'm done. It takes time to put it together and begin to understand what the idea was for the game.

Robertson's positioning is one aspect of what I'm looking at, similar with Ralston. I'm looking at Hungarian counter-attacks, when we are defending and winning the ball back when applying a full press. Those kind of things.

Edited by 2426255

50 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Without Hickey and Tierney (and to a lesser extent Patterson) what do we actually get from the defenders pushing up?

In Ralston’s case, you get the ball going back to where it’s come from. 

3 hours ago, George Parr said:

It's incomprehensible that the SFA appear content to plough on with a known xenophobe in their employ as manager of the national football team.

Surely Clarke's comments have to be acknowledged and addressed at some point? This shouldn't be permitted to just drift away. 

It's not incomprehensible, if anything it's entirely, if not admirably, consistent. See under Mackay, M.

Edited by Bad Wolf

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

In Ralston’s case, you get the ball going back to where it’s come from. 

I know you're probably being tongue in cheek, but Ralston at least tried to play the right passes and make forward runs at points.

The idea that he made only backwards passes is unfair. He grew into the game, was quiet for the first 20 minutes and then made more of a contribution on the ball: making some decent forward passes and forward runs.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Football fans don't know the game well enough to say the manager should be doing x or y. Some think they do, which is worse. What kind of a person tells someone else how they should be doing their job? It begins with A and ends in hole.

That is a sweeping generalisation that one.......and quite frankly a load a rubbish. Yes, there are some supporters at every club (and for the national team) that just need to shut up and stop talking or typing, but just because someone has the job title as "Manager" or "Head Coach", it doesn't mean they necessarily know more than the person in the stand. Some times, it just means they have attended more courses and had the time and money to do so.

12 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I know you're probably being tongue in cheek, but Ralston at least tried to play the right passes and make forward runs at points.

The idea that he made only backwards passes is unfair. He grew into the game, was quiet for the first 20 minutes and then made more of a contribution on the ball: making some decent forward passes and forward runs.

It was indeed tongue in cheek. Thought he was fine against Hungary and recovered well from the Switzerland game. He did still look a bit like a full back being asked to play wing back, though. 

25 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

That is a sweeping generalisation that one.......and quite frankly a load a rubbish. Yes, there are some supporters at every club (and for the national team) that just need to shut up and stop talking or typing, but just because someone has the job title as "Manager" or "Head Coach", it doesn't mean they necessarily know more than the person in the stand. Some times, it just means they have attended more courses and had the time and money to do so.

I agree, I'm being unfair by making that generalisation. There are fans who have a tactical understanding of football and a good one. There are members of PnB that I'd apply that too. I don't think it's anywhere near a majority if these boards and the vast array of fan content out there are anything to go by.