Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

19 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Without going back to the highlights, I remember feeling pretty edgy at several chances they didn't bury, one of them being a joselu header

Only found it now. Spain's xG in that game was 0.5. They didn't even create enough chance to expect to score 1 goal.

On 27/06/2024 at 19:05, DA Baracus said:

None of our players play in the SPL.

Jack Hendry does...

Anyway, the strike against Clarke for me isn't that he's overly negative (although I think he is) but that he's a very reactive coach rather than proactive, and even his reactions to changes in game state seem quite slow. Whether it is changing personnel, changing shape, changing set piece taker or whatever, his default position always seems to be "let's give it 10 minutes". We saw that with Shankland only getting injury time in the Switzerland game, and we certainly saw it in the Hungary game. It was obvious fairly quickly that they were happy for us to have the ball and yet rather than getting Gilmour higher up the pitch or getting strong runners or wingers on sooner, he seemed content for us to pass the ball about the back line for a good 20 minutes longer than necessary. I'm not suggesting he should have went baws oot from the start, but a gradual winding up by tweaks in positions and substitutes would have surely been more effective than 80 minutes of that Simpsons meme followed by launching it forward as quickly as possible to about 8 players you could cover with a blanket?

1 minute ago, Butters Scotch said:

I personally wouldn't read too much into xG but get your point

I don't either. But it's as close to a reasonable, objective measure of the number and quality of chances created as it's possible to get. For specifically answering the question, how many good chances did a team create, it does the job .

3 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

I personally wouldn't read too much into xG but get your point

I'm no fan of xG either, but it does tell us about the quality of chances created. We created better chances and more of them. 

Spain also were without Morata, Williams, Olmo, Pedri and that wunderkind they have on the right wing, so there is that. 

Still, Spain got the amount of goals their play deserved.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I agree, I'm being unfair by making that generalisation. There are fans who have a tactical understanding of football and a good one. There are members of PnB that I'd apply that too. I don't think it's anywhere near a majority if these boards and the vast array of fan content out there are anything to go by.  

Wrong again then 🤣

Ten minutes ago Christa Unkel (in her professional and personal opinion), Gary Neville, Gaizka Mendieta and Roy Keane said that it was a penalty 

Christa Unkel also said that it should've been overturned via VAR.

So, for all intents and purposes, Scotland finished 3rd with 4 points and would've eliminated Slovenia from their 3rd qualification spot as they finished with 3 points.

Edited by Chripper

5 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Ten minutes ago Christa Unkel (in her opinion), Gary Neville, Gaizka Mendieta and Roy Keane said that it was a penalty 

Christa Unkel also said that it should've been overturned and that 90% of referees would've given it.

So, for all intents and purposes, Scotland finished 3rd with 4 points and would've eliminated Slovenia from their 3rd qualification spot.

Not if this "penalty" was missed... 

57 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Ten minutes ago Christa Unkel (in her professional and personal opinion), Gary Neville, Gaizka Mendieta and Roy Keane said that it was a penalty 

Christa Unkel also said that it should've been overturned via VAR.

So, for all intents and purposes, Scotland finished 3rd with 4 points and would've eliminated Slovenia from their 3rd qualification spot as they finished with 3 points.

No, we finished bottom with one point.

Had the penalty been given are you saying that it would have automatically been a goal and that the game would have instantly ended right after?

This sliding doors moment puts the Clarke in/out debate into perspective.

Anyway. it's done and dusted.

Steve Clarke has two years left on his contract*

This Steve Clarke in/out chat is moot till July 2026 as he seems like a honourable man who wouldn't walk out on his contract.

/thread

*Hopefully the SFA ignore the noises from the empty barrels and offer Clarke an extension to his contract.

Edited by Chripper

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I haven't completely finished that, but I'll put up my interpretation when I'm done. It takes time to put it together and begin to understand what the idea was for the game.

Robertson's positioning is one aspect of what I'm looking at, similar with Ralston. I'm looking at Hungarian counter-attacks, when we are defending and winning the ball back when applying a full press. Those kind of things.

Whilst obviously formations are fluid over the duration of game the fundamental issue is that if you select too many players whose strengths are defensive rather than attacking then you're ultimately going to compromise your team's attacking abilities. 

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I haven't completely finished that, but I'll put up my interpretation when I'm done. It takes time to put it together and begin to understand what the idea was for the game.

Robertson's positioning is one aspect of what I'm looking at, similar with Ralston. I'm looking at Hungarian counter-attacks, when we are defending and winning the ball back when applying a full press. Those kind of things.

Don't go to any bother.

Steve Clarke IN seems like the result.

Hopefully we can move on from this and he actually does make the right changes we need. Pressure straight back on if we play poorly against Poland in September, and/or if we approach the Portugal game strictly hoping for a 0-0.

10 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Steve Clarke IN seems like the result.

Hopefully we can move on from this and he actually does make the right changes we need. Pressure straight back on if we play poorly against Poland in September, and/or if we approach the Portugal game strictly hoping for a 0-0.

Was always going to be outcome 

And he will never make changes,  Czech vs Hungary games from respective euros proven that

16 minutes ago, Binos said:

Was always going to be outcome 

And he will never make changes,  Czech vs Hungary games from respective euros proven that

100% agree. Clarke is just too stubborn and unwilling to change his outlook on the game. Look at the Slovenia v Portugal game last night to see what tactical awareness and organisation did fir Slovenia.

1 hour ago, Huisdean50 said:

100% agree. Clarke is just too stubborn and unwilling to change his outlook on the game. Look at the Slovenia v Portugal game last night to see what tactical awareness and organisation did fir Slovenia.

Look what ragnick has done with an austrian team we eliminated from the world cup 2 1/2 years ago

Same personnel I think 

22 hours ago, Venti said:

How the f**k anyone would want to re-watch our games beggars belief.

If they watch it for hours and hours then pause it at just the right moment then it will prove a point that they know more about tactics than the rest of us. 

Like yourself, I just think why fucking bother 🙈

Just now, Derryboy62 said:

If they watch it for hours and hours then pause it at just the right moment then it will prove a point that they know more about tactics than the rest of us. 

Like yourself, I just think why fucking bother 🙈

Tennants advert of someone strapped to a chair comes to mind

20 hours ago, Chripper said:

This sliding doors moment puts the Clarke in/out debate into perspective.

Anyway. it's done and dusted.

Steve Clarke has two years left on his contract*

This Steve Clarke in/out chat is moot till July 2026 as he seems like a honourable man who wouldn't walk out on his contract.

/thread

*Hopefully the SFA ignore the noises from the empty barrels and offer Clarke an extension to his contract.

You really think that? 

I believe the self inflicted disasters theory. 2 tournaments wrecked and nothing learned. If Steve did the right thing we'd b looking for a Manager.

We were shite