Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

37 minutes ago, smc4761 said:

Ralston was an absolute bombscare for most of the match

Why is Clarke waiting until 89th minute to bring on Shankland

I don't get this either. I can understand substitutions like that when you're trying to run time out at the end of the game, but not when you're still chasing a goal.

Clarke isn't the only manager who does it, so clearly it's some galaxy-brained shit that I'm too thick to understand, but surely it would make more sense to bring on a fresh striker(s) with maybe twenty minutes to go and give them time to get into the pace of the match.

50 minutes ago, smc4761 said:

We got the point that i thought we would before kick off , but jeezo , we were crying out for fresh legs around 75mins .. We might have got all 3pts if Clarke had replaced struggling players earlier ..what  a waste of Shankland .. and even any other attacking players with energy at that stage of the game .. Forrest , Conway .. Still think we will beat a Hungary team who will be on holiday , mentally , but f**k me , we need to a lot more positive with selections /subs than we were tonight ..

Looks like Morgan and Conway are very much only here to make up the numbers.

Edit: had Dykes been fit, do we think we'd still have been putting all our eggs into an Adams-shaped basket?

Edited by BFTD

8 minutes ago, bleedingums said:

Nah, by about the 70th minute Clarke had decided he wanted a draw.

I got that general impression too. It was if you can't win it, don't lose it territory. I think it suited the Swiss too in all honesty. The way the matches in the group have played out has helped us in terms of the timing of the games and results. In a 3 games group you need that kind of luck and we've had it.

15 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I got that general impression too. It was if you can't win it, don't lose it territory. I think it suited the Swiss too in all honesty. The way the matches in the group have played out has helped us in terms of the timing of the games and results. In a 3 games group you need that kind of luck and we've had it.

I don’t even think that’s a bad thing tbh. Lose that game and we were all but out. I think we were probably in a position to be more adventurous in the first 20 minutes of the second half but once we got into the last 15-20 mins at 1-1, I think you take your point and get out of there. Hungary look to be the most beatable team in the group so I think you throw everything at beating them and hope the results in other groups go our way too.

30 minutes ago, bleedingums said:

Nah, by about the 70th minute Clarke had decided he wanted a draw.

Likewise if we are trailing in the Hungary game expect to see either/or on the pitch by about the 70 minute mark.

1 hour ago, gastropod said:

We got the point that i thought we would before kick off , but jeezo , we were crying out for fresh legs around 75mins .. We might have got all 3pts if Clarke had replaced struggling players earlier ..what  a waste of Shankland .. and even any other attacking players with energy at that stage of the game .. Forrest , Conway .. Still think we will beat a Hungary team who will be on holiday , mentally , but f**k me , we need to a lot more positive with selections /subs than we were tonight ..

If Hungary pump us (which is not out of the question) then they could still go through.  A 3 goal win would probably be enough for them I reckon - or at least would give them a helluva shot.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

If Hungary pump us (which is not out of the question) then they could still go through.  A 3 goal win would probably be enough for them I reckon - or at least would give them a helluva shot.

Fair point. It's played out okay for us up to this point. We have our destiny in our own hands and don't need a 3-nil win to secure qualification. I think being realistic win or bust against Hungary is about what we could have hoped for at the beginning of the tournament.

Although we lost in humiliating fashion to Germany, it was Hungary that lost a key game in the opening round.

9 hours ago, smc4761 said:

Because it wasn't a tactical move or a freshen up move, it was a timewasting move.

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

I don't get this either. I can understand substitutions like that when you're trying to run time out at the end of the game, but not when you're still chasing a goal.

Clarke isn't the only manager who does it, so clearly it's some galaxy-brained shit that I'm too thick to understand, but surely it would make more sense to bring on a fresh striker(s) with maybe twenty minutes to go and give them time to get into the pace of the match.

Clarke was very, very happy with a draw (the Hungary game will show whether that was the right call in a winnable game), and wasn't chasing anything. It also showed that he doesn't trust Shankland or Conway over a run-into-the-ground Adams.

13 hours ago, PJ70 said:

S Clarke is a dud. Just as useless as c brown and almost as fat.

Nobody who isn't insane leaves their top goalscorer out and picks nobodies who've played about 5 games all season in defence.

Or plays a foreign goalkeeper who couldn't catch AIDS.

Jeezy peeps!!

what an pathetic embarrassment of a post. 

You come across as an immature belter.

Clarke needs to earn his corn now that Tierney is done.

Does he persist with a back 5 the main reason we have it is to accommodate 2 world class left backs. It hasn't worked with anyone else in there. 

Does he go to a back 4. 

Does he drop Ralston as part of the defensive reshuffle. A

Does he change the midfield to try and get something out of McGinn or drop him completly. 

We also have the issue of more or less the same 11 players have been run into the ground for 2 days straight. We have a squad of 26 fir a reason but waited 99 minutes to change players excluding injuries. 

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Clarke needs to earn his corn now that Tierney is done.

Does he persist with a back 5 the main reason we have it is to accommodate 2 world class left backs. It hasn't worked with anyone else in there. 

Does he go to a back 4. 

Does he drop Ralston as part of the defensive reshuffle. A

Does he change the midfield to try and get something out of McGinn or drop him completly. 

We also have the issue of more or less the same 11 players have been run into the ground for 2 days straight. We have a squad of 26 fir a reason but waited 99 minutes to change players excluding injuries. 

We don’t and never did have 26 players. We’re not Germany or France - hell, look at England’s back up centre halves and full-backs.

We have a reasonable left back, a couple of decent strikers, an internationally-inexperienced winger, Ryan Christie, Kenny McLean, and Armstrong with one leg.

That’s it. We have a first XI that’s already plugged up. We don’t have options.

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

We don’t and never did have 26 players. We’re not Germany or France - hell, look at England’s back up centre halves and full-backs.

We have a reasonable left back, a couple of decent strikers, an internationally-inexperienced winger, Ryan Christie, Kenny McLean, and Armstrong with one leg.

That’s it. We have a first XI that’s already plugged up. We don’t have options.

Away man, that's only relevant if we're playing Germany or France. Our bench players are comparable with Switzerland an Hungary. We've plenty of viable options for these games.

Why does Clarke have McTominey taking corners ??? He's one of the best we have at winning headers in the oppositions box , one of our tallest players and strongest just baffling 

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

I dont think clarke was really chasing a goal, the guys on the pitch maybe but given swiss could have won it themselves i think Clarke was happy with the point knowing its a straight shot against Hungary