Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

20 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

To be fair that Ukraine game was a shambles as was the Euro 2020 tournament so there were a lot of noises back then about punting Clarke, not just from Bing.

I actually think Clarke has improved in his management over the length of his time with the national team and seems to have learned from past mistakes

Learning from past mistakes is the key for me with Clarke:

Changed the formation after the mauling by Russia to a back 5.

Introduced O'Donnell when we had few other options, but recognised the potential of hickey and Patterson early and gave both caps.

Improved on our form against "minnows" which normally prevented us from qualifying before.

If he continues this and we are more competitive than we were at euro 2020 I do not understand where any criticism can come from.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

Is it even possible to lose 100-0? There's a part of me in the dark depths of my soul that would love to see this, but you'd have to not celebrate your goals and just hope the opposition are in a hurry. You'd also need to rely on the opposition coughing up possession every 10 seconds or so.

Make it happen, Shir Shteve.

AS Adema 149–0 SO l'Emyrne - Wikipedia

Hickey had played one and a half seasons in Serie A and there was a lot of clamour amongst media and fans for Patterson. There’s plenty of things to praise Clarke for without just making shit up.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Introduced O'Donnell when we had few other options, but recognised the potential of hickey and Patterson early and gave both caps.

Improved on our form against "minnows" which normally prevented us from qualifying before.

If he continues this and we are more competitive than we were at euro 2020 I do not understand where any criticism can come from.

Absolutely the guy can adapt more than I thought he could tbh.

I think the results are a big thing. But it will be how we play not just the results. I've got high hopes for this tournament. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Good luck with that.

Thanks and goodbye 👋 

Edited by Bing.McCrosby

2 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Absolutely the guy can adapt more than I thought he could tbh.

I think the results are a big thing. But it will be how we play not just the results. I've got high hopes for this tournament. 

Thanks and goodbye 👋 

I really hope you two are the same person at this point.

30 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

I really hope you two are the same person at this point.

This is literally the worst insult I've ever had 🤣 I was accused of being pep at one point, but christ this is a new low.

18 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Hickey had played one and a half seasons in Serie A and there was a lot of clamour amongst media and fans for Patterson. There’s plenty of things to praise Clarke for without just making shit up.

To be fair he'd missed a large chunk of his first season through injury, which also ruled him out of any slim chance of being called up for the last Euros. I agree it was hardly some left-field option to pick him though.

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

To be fair he'd missed a large chunk of his first season through injury, which also ruled him out of any slim chance of being called up for the last Euros. I agree it was hardly some left-field option to pick him though.

More of a right-field option IMO 😉

Thinking back on it, each full calendar year of Clarke’s run has achieved a fairly significant success.

2020 - Penalty shootout wins over Israel and Serbia to take us to our first major championship in over two decades.

2021 - Great run in the autumn to not only finish a very comfortable 2nd in our WCQ group, but to be one of the best 2nd place teams and get a home playoff.

2022 - Won a tricky looking nations league group to achieve promotion to league A

2023 - Comfortably qualified for the Euros with games to spare and without having to rely on playoffs 

The only two proper let downs of the Clarke era are the performance at Euro 2020 itself and the comfortable defeat by Ukraine at Hampden in the World Cup playoffs, although in the latter case part of me thinks we were better off losing that game than the inevitable 2-1 defeat in the final in Cardiff where we’d have been 1-0 up with a few minutes left before Bale scored a screamer of an equaliser and then dived to win a penalty for the winner.

The other less good parts of the Clarke era can either be explained away and/or weren’t ultimately all that relevant:

- The poor performance in Euro 2020 qualifying proper was a result of teething problems for Clarke, difficult opponents and a squad that was yet to include some of the now stalwart players. We did however manage to win the games against teams we should beat after Clarke joined.

- Arguably we should have been more upset about bottling our 2019-20 Nations League group from a very winnable position but it happened in the very same week we won in Belgrade. The players were on a bit of a high, we had a more congested schedule than our opponents and ultimately it didn’t really matter.

- The 3-0 loss in Dublin was just an off day but in the grand scheme of things it went unpunished because we won all of our home games in that group, won in Armenia and got a very decent point away to Ukraine.

- The current run of form has come in a set of largely meaningless games and with an injury affected squad.

I just hope the 2024 success happens over the next few weeks rather than in the autumn, not that a good nations league performance wouldn’t be a good thing too 

20 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Thinking back on it, each full calendar year of Clarke’s run has achieved a fairly significant success.

2020 - Penalty shootout wins over Israel and Serbia to take us to our first major championship in over two decades.

2021 - Great run in the autumn to not only finish a very comfortable 2nd in our WCQ group, but to be one of the best 2nd place teams and get a home playoff.

2022 - Won a tricky looking nations league group to achieve promotion to league A

2023 - Comfortably qualified for the Euros with games to spare and without having to rely on playoffs 

The only two proper let downs of the Clarke era are the performance at Euro 2020 itself and the comfortable defeat by Ukraine at Hampden in the World Cup playoffs, although in the latter case part of me thinks we were better off losing that game than the inevitable 2-1 defeat in the final in Cardiff where we’d have been 1-0 up with a few minutes left before Bale scored a screamer of an equaliser and then dived to win a penalty for the winner.

Not as if we have never cheated the Welsh !

On 07/06/2024 at 10:27, Self-raising Lazarus said:

McLeish gave O'Donnell his first cap against Peru.

3 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

The other less good parts of the Clarke era can either be explained away and/or weren’t ultimately all that relevant:

- The poor performance in Euro 2020 qualifying proper was a result of teething problems for Clarke, difficult opponents and a squad that was yet to include some of the now stalwart players. We did however manage to win the games against teams we should beat after Clarke joined.

- Arguably we should have been more upset about bottling our 2019-20 Nations League group from a very winnable position but it happened in the very same week we won in Belgrade. The players were on a bit of a high, we had a more congested schedule than our opponents and ultimately it didn’t really matter.

- The 3-0 loss in Dublin was just an off day but in the grand scheme of things it went unpunished because we won all of our home games in that group, won in Armenia and got a very decent point away to Ukraine.

- The current run of form has come in a set of largely meaningless games and with an injury affected squad.

I just hope the 2024 success happens over the next few weeks rather than in the autumn, not that a good nations league performance wouldn’t be a good thing too 

He's done a great job. All that's been asked of him and a bit more. It's one thing to have good players, it's another to turn them into a team. He's done well for the Nation and its no wonder the SFA want to keep him. Ticks every box imo.

I think he'd like to get us to a World Cup, but if the right club opportunity came up I think he'd do it so my advice is enjoy his tenure while it lasts.

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

He's done a great job. All that's been asked of him and a bit more. It's one thing to have good players, it's another to turn them into a team. He's done well for the Nation and its no wonder the SFA want to keep him. Ticks every box imo.

Aye the folk calling for his head are mentalists IMO. As I said before the only scenario where I see him getting punted is if there’s some sort of fall out in the camp and he loses the dressing room. If this euros ends up like the last one where we play recently at points but ultimately finish bottom, the job is still his imo. 

Hes got a contract through to 2026 and I see very little prospect of either side not honouring that, barring the unlikely scenario I mentioned. I don’t think a club side is coming in for him at his age (and I’m doubtful whether he’d fancy a club job anyway).

I’d love to see David Moyes get the job one day but Clarke to get us to a World Cup first and then end his time in the job by managing us in a home euros one more time.

Just now, JS_FFC said:

I don’t think a club side is coming in for him at his age (and I’m doubtful whether he’d fancy a club job anyway).

He said he feels he has one more club job in him. I don't have the quote to hand, but can get it when im back home.

10 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

McLeish gave O'Donnell his first cap against Peru.

Very true, but would other scotland managers have picked the likes of palmer or callum Patterson ahead of O'Donnell? Probably. He recognised the best players regardless of what league they were in, unlike some previous managers who seemed to pick any number or random championship jobbers.