The bit I simply don't get about them pushing the B team agenda over the past few years is the lack of insight into why they think it will benefit player development.

All they hit out with is "better for the national team" but they provide no evidence or development pathway plan into how this would actually be better for players coming through. Certainly nothing I've seen beyond "but look at Croatia" which falls down with the minimal scrutiny of Croatia's best players over the past few decades.

The whole thing is a misdirect because our two biggest clubs objectively fail to develop players consistently for their first team. 

On 12/06/2023 at 16:42, Jacky1990 said:

The bit I simply don't get about them pushing the B team agenda over the past few years is the lack of insight into why they think it will benefit player development.

All they hit out with is "better for the national team" but they provide no evidence or development pathway plan into how this would actually be better for players coming through. Certainly nothing I've seen beyond "but look at Croatia" which falls down with the minimal scrutiny of Croatia's best players over the past few decades.

The whole thing is a misdirect because our two biggest clubs objectively fail to develop players consistently for their first team. 

They also love to claim that it "works in The Netherlands". B-teams were introduced in 2013, obviously the 2014 WC team had no players yet who played in B-teams. After that we have (for our standards) been very poor, the worst we have been in a long time. Missing the first 2 tournaments in a row, then in Euro 2020 papped out by the first decent opponents we played (Czech Republic). The only good performance against a top side at a major tournament was taking eventual world champions Argentina all the way to penalties in the QF in Qatar, but based on that one game you can hardly say it's been such a success when you consider how much stronger and more consistent we've been before that period.

21 minutes ago, Marten said:

They also love to claim that it "works in The Netherlands". B-teams were introduced in 2013, obviously the 2014 WC team had no players yet who played in B-teams. After that we have (for our standards) been very poor, the worst we have been in a long time. Missing the first 2 tournaments in a row, then in Euro 2020 papped out by the first decent opponents we played (Czech Republic). The only good performance against a top side at a major tournament was taking eventual world champions Argentina all the way to penalties in the QF in Qatar, but based on that one game you can hardly say it's been such a success when you consider how much stronger and more consistent we've been before that period.

They dont need B teams for young players to have good first team experience.  Lower league clubs are always happy to help.  I remember in the 70s watching the Ayr United side with young Celtic players in their side and Jock Stein visiting Somerset Park regularly to watch his youngsters perform.  There was NO need of B teams then, so why now.

3 minutes ago, Honestman1954 said:

They dont need B teams for young players to have good first team experience.  Lower league clubs are always happy to help.  I remember in the 70s watching the Ayr United side with young Celtic players in their side and Jock Stein visiting Somerset Park regularly to watch his youngsters perform.  There was NO need of B teams then, so why now.

Yep, spot on. That's why using either the Dutch or Croatian example actually harms their argument like explained for both above. Also, Feyenoord won the Dutch league this season with a team full of homegrown talent, they finished well ahead of both PSV & Ajax, reached the EL QF & ECL final the previous season. They don't have a B-team, but instead prefer a system of loans & reserve football. Didn't exactly harm them!

On 12/06/2023 at 16:42, Jacky1990 said:

Throwing the ''but look at Croatia'' as evidence for B Teams from the usual mouthpieces who continue to believe Scottish football clubs and their fans are gullible and clueless and will automatically look in envy at Croatia wanting to be just like them and not that they would fact check to see if it is yet again utter horseshit and these mouthpieces are lying to us again.

4 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Throwing the ''but look at Croatia'' as evidence for B Teams from the usual mouthpieces who continue to believe Scottish football clubs and their fans are gullible and clueless and will automatically look in envy at Croatia wanting to be just like them and not that they would fact check to see if it is yet again utter horseshit and these mouthpieces are lying to us again.

I don't think that Maxwell et al believe they are lying about Croatia or The Netherlands, etc. They appear to be going along with the falsehood there. 

However, they think they are pulling the wool over our eyes as to the reason they want OF B teams into the league system, which is really the big fib.