Bo'ness United 2023/24

Deanburn Dave

18 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

A good run in the Big Scottish brings in some much needed cash.  A home tie is good but I would have preferred avoiding Darvel.

Bo’ness shouldn’t be worried about Darvel, albeit I know that league positions don’t dictate who necessarily win cup ties. Haddington has beaten Civil Services Strollers twice this season, (home & away in different cup ties), yet they lost at weekend to St Andrews.  I think that only happened because, the manager, for whatever reason, didn’t pick his best 11; and by time last 2 subs came on they were chasing the cup tie. 

Haddington got beat by Darvel in last season’s Scottish Cup, but that was only after Haddington going in 1-0 up at half time and getting their keeper sent off in the middle of 1st half. With 11 players, I think Haddington could have beat Darvel, but that is/was immaterial. If Bo’ness play their best 11, they should beat Darvel. 

22 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

TV cameras at Newtown Park maybe if the first round is televised? Not the same team now as played Aberdeen because many/most of the players moved to East Kilbride with Mick Kennedy.

Yep 6 or 7 now at EK and 2 now at Stenhousemuir. That been said there is still 5 or 6 from last season plus signed 2 from Talbot and spent 20k on Striker from cumnock. Still a decent side. 

Can almost predict who is going to get worked up by something like that. Perhaps worth bearing in mind that in Bo'ness United's case the past in terms of the other Scottish Cup still provides memories that are well worth savouring including a victorious final at Hampden against Darvel.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Can almost predict who is going to get worked up by something like that. Perhaps worth bearing in mind that in Bo'ness United's case the past in terms of the other Scottish Cup still provides memories that are well worth savouring including a victorious final at Hampden against Darvel.

Worked up obviously got to you enough to reply though. :lol:  

You are stuck in the past you've been told that by numerous posters on here but lets not get in the way of any facts. 👍

No idea why you think this adds anything to a Bo'ness United thread.  Another 3-0 victory over Darvel would do nicely like in the game I remember watching what is scarily close to 50 years ago now. Maybe part of the problem with dwindling interest in the club is that you almost have to be the wrong side of 50 to properly remember even the Ballieston final. A cup run and ideally doing something like what Darvel did to Aberdeen would be just what the doctor ordered to provide some new memories up there with those games.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

No idea why you think this adds anything to a Bo'ness United thread.  Another 3-0 victory over Darvel would do nicely like in the game I remember watching what is scarily close to 50 years ago now. Maybe part of the problem with dwindling interest in the club is that you almost have to be the wrong side of 50 to properly remember even the Ballieston final. A cup run and ideally doing something like what Darvel did to Aberdeen would be just what the doctor ordered to provide some new memories up there with those games.

You've derailed loads threads :lol:

Aye can mind that Baillieston final Ibrox wi all the different coloured seats if I mind right. 

On 03/09/2023 at 00:55, Marooneye said:

How's hunterball going?

To get this thread vaguely back om track 

It's going...fine. Expected the season to be an absolute mess given the summer antics, the five wins to start were a good laugh but was never going to be sustainable. Hunter has built a solid team, he'll now have to work out how best to make it function. Musa looks improved on last year and guys like Stevenson are looking decent after a confidence sapping time under Max. Lewis McArthur has done well to lessen the impact of Jamie McCormacks loss, and though he's got a tendency to overplay that might be better than Jamie's tendency for violence. JJ Henderson and Porteous look like good signings, now they need to hit their rhythm a bit more regularly as things settle down.

Telling for me that in the last season and a bit Kyle Johnson felt like a bit of a standout, he's now more often looking like the odd man out. That's nothing against him as a player and.he is playing a slightly different role, but it reflects on where the rest of the squad has elevated a bit.

Perennial problem of lacking a goalscorer, but if they were easy to find everyone would have a couple. Overall if you'd offered where the team are now before the season kicked off I'd have taken it, just wish it wasn't so streaky.

10 hours ago, Nicholas Rage said:

To get this thread vaguely back om track 

It's going...fine. Expected the season to be an absolute mess given the summer antics, the five wins to start were a good laugh but was never going to be sustainable. Hunter has built a solid team, he'll now have to work out how best to make it function. Musa looks improved on last year and guys like Stevenson are looking decent after a confidence sapping time under Max. Lewis McArthur has done well to lessen the impact of Jamie McCormacks loss, and though he's got a tendency to overplay that might be better than Jamie's tendency for violence. JJ Henderson and Porteous look like good signings, now they need to hit their rhythm a bit more regularly as things settle down.

Telling for me that in the last season and a bit Kyle Johnson felt like a bit of a standout, he's now more often looking like the odd man out. That's nothing against him as a player and.he is playing a slightly different role, but it reflects on where the rest of the squad has elevated a bit.

Perennial problem of lacking a goalscorer, but if they were easy to find everyone would have a couple. Overall if you'd offered where the team are now before the season kicked off I'd have taken it, just wish it wasn't so streaky.

At the stat of the season, what is the expectations of Boness United fans?
and what are the expectations now:  Win the league?, Top 4?,  Mid Table? or avoid relegation?

The start was brilliant, to say the least and from the outside, I didn't know when it was going to stop

13 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

You've derailed loads threads :lol:

Aye can mind that Baillieston final Ibrox wi all the different coloured seats if I mind right. 

I was there and recorded the game too. It’s now also safely saved on the hard drive of my pc. The adverts at halftime are hilarious 😂 

8 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

At the stat of the season, what is the expectations of Boness United fans?
and what are the expectations now:  Win the league?, Top 4?,  Mid Table? or avoid relegation?

The start was brilliant, to say the least and from the outside, I didn't know when it was going to stop

With what happened this summer mid table would have been the goal then, upper mid table now for me and build for next season.

Edited by Nicholas Rage

24 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Hoping for 3 points today to get back on track. Cracking day but will give this one a miss. Alliance Park is up there with CSS in the awful away days stakes for me.

Agreed. Cant make it today anyway due to work but not a fan of the ground either, even after getting in for free last time around.