Bo'ness United 2023/24

Deanburn Dave

Sorry I missed this one but a a great result to keep the momentum going. Three more away games and a home one against a bogey team. No doubts Hunts will get them well and truly fired up to get these over the line.

Tranent and Cumbernauld both beat tonight. Again boosting our chances of 2nd place. 

Not entirely sure how it works, if the HL/LL seasonal switch of two invites is still a thing or the whole Cowdenbeath carry on at the start of the season, but IF we finish 2nd in the league do we get a League Cup group stage spot?

Edited by BonessBWAH_

4 minutes ago, BonessBWAH_ said:

Tranent and Cumbernauld both beat tonight. Again boosting our chances of 2nd place. 

Not entirely sure how it works, if the HL/LL seasonal switch of two invites is still a thing or the whole Cowdenbeath carry on at the start of the season, but if we finish 2nd in the league do we get a League Cup group stage spot?

I’m not absolutely sure of this but I think it’s one place only with the Highland League getting two spots. The second spot is alternate between LL & HL. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m incorrect.

Edited by onecowden

39 minutes ago, onecowden said:

I’m not absolutely sure of this but I think it’s one place only with the Highland League getting two spots. The second spot is alternate between LL & HL. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m incorrect.

That's what they did in the two seasons before this one, but as I'm guessing you know, this season they gave that third spot to Cowdenbeath despite them finishing 15th. So they could do anything next season.

53 minutes ago, onecowden said:

No places are guaranteed for HL or LL teams 

19 minutes ago, onecowden said:

I think they might give it to Albion Rovers, as they will be the last team to have dropped out of League 2, not including whoever drops out (or not) at the end of this season.

2 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Let's be honest and say they make the rules up as they go along with that tournament.  Let's just finish as high as we can and see what happens 

The level of incompetence within Scottish football is off the scale.

2 hours ago, boheesian said:

The level of incompetence within Scottish football is off the scale.

The league itself is a shambles to be fair. A team winning a league basically by Jan/Feb but might not even get promoted. Teams fighting for a top 2/3/4 finish not knowing if it even qualifies them for anything. B teams buying their way into the pyramid but can’t go anywhere else in the pyramid (assuming they can’t get relegated). Not even looked at the relegation/promotion from the lower leagues but that’s probably a joke as well. 

I really don’t care what competitions we get into next year. For me, the return of Newtown Park as my happy place has been the thing I will remember this season. I’ve enjoyed (most of the time) watching the team this year, last season it was a chore (most of the time). 

The job Hunter and co this season is remarkable. Given the circumstances in which the job came about and the state of the squad at that time I expected the upper end of mid table would be a decent season.

What's happened instead has been outstanding and the management team deserve so much credit.

7 minutes ago, Nicholas Rage said:

The job Hunter and co this season is remarkable. Given the circumstances in which the job came about and the state of the squad at that time I expected the upper end of mid table would be a decent season.

What's happened instead has been outstanding and the management team deserve so much credit.

Agreed, it’s been said plenty times on here on the state of the summer etc but when you look at the teams we have a chance/look likely of finishing above is incredible to be honest.

The league will be a lot tougher next season though with a lot of teams already getting key players tied down so hopefully we do some more good business in the summer to add to the core that’s already signed up. 

The big difference this year is that we HAVE signed up our existing players and seriously looking at the few who will need to be added.

Previous years under Max had been a last minute dash and we ended up with players more concerned about their pockets than their football.

Jambo, the really BIG difference for me is the team are happy campers. 

A number of the players interviewed have talked about the team spirit and a great bunch of lads in the dressing room. Appears to me that they are enjoying being at the club.    

Hunter & Gemmell were/are respected and committed players.   They give everything and expect no less from the team.  That's the type of environment that players want to be part off and it makes retaining and attracting players a lot easier.

What we did know is that they are committed to the club ie Hunter 10 seasons and Gemmell in his tenth but management comes withe more responsibility and headaches but they’ve more than ticked the box.

Priorities a Goalkeeper and striker.

I am sure hunts and Michael will be looking hard for new players they will not let the grass grow under they feet roll on Saturday 3points will just good for the end of the season in hunts we trust