Bo'ness United 2023/24

Deanburn Dave

No way am I thinking next season that we will be winning the league next year. But what if . We don’t want what has happened to Buckie to happen to us. Things have been very quiet on the NPA front. Does anyone know if there’s plans afoot for getting a bronze license. I know the hub etc is all good and well 

Unfortunately, the NPA do not care for upgrading the ground.  They see it as a community facility not a football one, ignoring the fact that 99.9% of current activities are football.

53 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Unfortunately, the NPA do not care for upgrading the ground.  They see it as a community facility not a football one, ignoring the fact that 99.9% of current activities are football.

Can the football club not pay for improvements if thats their home?

7 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

I was thinking about this , upgrade to 300 lux lights , more covered area , doctor etc , would be 10s of thousands of pounds .

All this on a pipe dream which most fans don’t want anyway .

Where would NPA get that money from .

Could take many years to be in a position to go up and by that time the goalposts will have moved again , costing more money .

With SFA and SPFL the goals certainly do move !! 

My suggestion would be for the 2 clubs to finance along with NPA .

Have you any other suggestions ?

To be honest, I’m happy where we are. Don’t want to travel to the four corners of Scotland every second week. I appreciate the drive to improve, but don’t see a great difference in standard between League 2 and the Lowland league. I don’t think there is a justification in spending money on the ground that could be used to improve the team.

41 minutes ago, seenitall said:

I was thinking about this , upgrade to 300 lux lights , more covered area , doctor etc , would be 10s of thousands of pounds .

Assuming the pitch is ok (and the floodlights are 300lux) then it's only a few things needed to go from entry to a bronze ground, which are surely achievable?

5.8 Dressing Rooms
Match officials room with space for 5 instead of 4
5.13 Spectator Areas Cover for home and away fans
5.13 Spectator Areas Cover for 500 (up from 100) from 2025 100 of these must be seated
5.15 Provision for Disabled Spectators Appoint a disability access officer
5.15 Provision for Disabled Spectators No sightline obstructions
5.15 Provision for Disabled Spectators PA adjacent seating from 2025 a covered area with 4+ wheelchair spaces

Finishing 3rd this season was superb.  It may turn out to be our peak in the Lowland League and we will finish mid table for the foreseeable future. Having said that should the BU's find themselves challenging for the playoffs I am sure the committee will endeavour to ensure that the criteria can be met.

p.s. I would be very happy to stay in the LL.  Great wee league.

33 minutes ago, Costa Crookies said:

Don’t want to travel to the four corners of Scotland every second week.

That's never really been the case. As time goes by its becoming even less of a problem.

Its more the price increases in tickets i'd worry about. Not the travel.

58 minutes ago, Costa Crookies said:

To be honest, I’m happy where we are. Don’t want to travel to the four corners of Scotland every second week. I appreciate the drive to improve, but don’t see a great difference in standard between League 2 and the Lowland league. I don’t think there is a justification in spending money on the ground that could be used to improve the team.

Genuine question based on your post.

If you are content to stay in the LL, which another couple on this page want the same, what would have been your thoughts about staying in the EoS Premier League?

Don’t think there is much difference, collectively, with the teams from both leagues. With exception of Linlithgow, home crowds can’t be that much better, overall, in the LL than EoS.

Perhaps because Bo’ness have been in LL for 4 years, you don’t see yourself/Boness with any connection to your EoS era?>

21 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Genuine question based on your post.

If you are content to stay in the LL, which another couple on this page want the same, what would have been your thoughts about staying in the EoS Premier League?

Don’t think there is much difference, collectively, with the teams from both leagues. With exception of Linlithgow, home crowds can’t be that much better, overall, in the LL than EoS.

Perhaps because Bo’ness have been in LL for 4 years, you don’t see yourself/Boness with any connection to your EoS era?>

My 2 cents are that we spent only 2 years in the league and I want the BU to be at least at the highest point on the non-SPFL pyramid if not higher. The East of Scotland League cup was certainly a more interesting league cup than the Lowland League though.

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Casey, My tuppence worth is you make a fair point looking at things in the present and the next couple of seasons.      However there's potential for a really attractive Lowland League in 4 or 5/years for the BU's, Tranent and Linlithgow (and hopefully Broxburn) as the best of the West join in and the B teams are ditched.

Genuinely hopeful Musselburgh make it up at some point as Olivebank was always one of my favourite away days.

I’ve been supporting Bo’ness for over 50 years, and some of my most enjoyable seasons have been during our time in the Super League. Enjoyment of the games paramount for me, not the league they’re played in. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

That's never really been the case. As time goes by its becoming even less of a problem.

Its more the price increases in tickets i'd worry about. Not the travel.

This has become the biggest problem for me personally, and is why (when Stirling are playing away from home) I tend to go and watch “local” clubs like yourselves instead.

I’m fortunate that J can put money away for a season ticket but it’s quite regular to find gate prices of £17-22 in League 1 & 2, throw in taking my son to games and it becomes an expensive afternoon, and every season prices rise.

Edit to add: I can honestly see the day coming where I stop attending SPFL football, due to cost, and go and watch LL EoS/WoS football instead, taking in the games that I fancy.

Edited by BB_Bino

15 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Assuming the pitch is ok (and the floodlights are 300lux) then it's only a few things needed to go from entry to a bronze ground, which are surely achievable?

5.8 Dressing Rooms
Match officials room with space for 5 instead of 4
5.13 Spectator Areas Cover for home and away fans
5.13 Spectator Areas Cover for 500 (up from 100) from 2025 100 of these must be seated
5.15 Provision for Disabled Spectators Appoint a disability access officer
5.15 Provision for Disabled Spectators No sightline obstructions
5.15 Provision for Disabled Spectators PA adjacent seating from 2025 a covered area with 4+ wheelchair spaces

But 300 lux lights are not in place and my understanding c from someone that works on the industry is that it’s not as simple as changing the light bulbs .

Possible changes to pylons etc so a substantial cost .

The other things you mention as in 100 seats doesn’t come cheap either and as I say all for something that may never happen .

Something that I think we've already seen a few times from the highland league sides when League 2 had potentially been on the cards for them, it's fun being a bigger fish in a small pond, where all your rivals and history exists. Outside of the clubs where owners clearly have ambitions to be in the league, is the SPFL as appealing to the former juniors sides as the SPFL potentially think it is? I'm not convinced the cost of the new licensing requirements would be worth the benefits. I say that as someone who actively enjoys the Lowland League and it's getting better and better each season as the diddy clubs are relegated and the odd fallen giant from League 2 appears as well. 

Plus with all the homeless clubs a bunch of the L2 away days you already visit in the LL!

22 hours ago, Rosey1889 said:

Can the football club not pay for improvements if thats their home?

Why would we pay for suchlike when we pay a rent?  Any improvements we made would only benefit the parasites too.

16 hours ago, seenitall said:

Where would NPA get that money from .

Could take many years to be in a position to go up and by that time the goalposts will have moved again , costing more money .

With SFA and SPFL the goals certainly do move !! 

My suggestion would be for the 2 clubs to finance along with NPA .

I agree it's all a pipe dream.

I am sure that the mythical 'hub' will suffer the same fate as the infamous 'marina' of a few years back.

I, for one, have no interest into entering into any deals with the parasites.  They have shown on many occasions they are not to be trusted.

In a form of utopia, I would leave Newtown and have a new ground, purpose-built from scratch but money and space are a problem, I know.

44 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

I agree it's all a pipe dream.

I am sure that the mythical 'hub' will suffer the same fate as the infamous 'marina' of a few years back.

I, for one, have no interest into entering into any deals with the parasites.  They have shown on many occasions they are not to be trusted.

In a form of utopia, I would leave Newtown and have a new ground, purpose-built from scratch but money and space are a problem, I know.

There was a “plan”, several years ago to build a new ground on the old shirt factory site. I think it fell through as it relied on the sale of Newtown for building. It’s just a matter of time waiting until I win the Euromillions. Would probably help if I buy a ticket.

1 hour ago, Costa Crookies said:

There was a “plan”, several years ago to build a new ground on the old shirt factory site. I think it fell through as it relied on the sale of Newtown for building. It’s just a matter of time waiting until I win the Euromillions. Would probably help if I buy a ticket.

Think it was at Crawfield , where houses were to to built also as part of deal , nothing happened .

Now the houses will be built with no football park .

People of Bo’ness lose out again .