Dundee United 23/24

35 minutes ago, captainkev said:

This is the danger of being in thrall to statistics. Those numbers claim there were at least 3 keepers worse in the league than Birighitti, yet we know that simply is not the case.

There's a reason Birighitti has the highlight video from last season accompanied by circus clown music.

Indeed. Ross Laidlaw, for example, is a very average goalkeeper, and those stats make him look appalling, but you'd have to be a fucking madman to think Birighitti is the better keeper.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I refuse to believe that a player could have improved after leaving Dundee

That should read I find it easy to believe that Dundee FC can ruin players signed, who then dramatically improve after leaving them.

Ross Docherty (30) Spent most of his career at Ayr United jumping between League One and the Championship.

Liam Grimshaw (28) Released by Motherwell after struggling to get a game for two years.

Kevin Holt (30) Released by Dundee. 

Fair fcuks to those of you who think these are efficient signings. I'm not getting my hopes up.

These experienced Championship players remind me of signings such as Lewis Toshney et al. 

16 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Ross Docherty (30) Spent most of his career at Ayr United jumping between League One and the Championship.

Liam Grimshaw (28) Released by Motherwell after struggling to get a game for two years.

Fair fcuks to those of you who think these are efficient signings. I'm not getting my hopes up.

These experienced Championship players remind me of signings such as Lewis Toshney et al. 

Suppose its all about money and the quality or lack of it we can afford. 

Im pretty sure the likes of Liam Smith and the other boys we have released would look very good in the championship and Id be very surprised if these boys are better than what we have/had. We did need a different type of player though as the current squad is pretty lightweight with a lot of nice players. 

Definitely seems like the potential for a Mark Durnan in there. 

You’ve signed three players that, IMO, every team in the division is fairly envious of signing. I understand it might not be Premiership top six signings; but you’re not a Premiership top six team.

Edited by Smurph

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Kevin Holt was released by Dundee when they were effectively a top six Premiership side. You’re not in a position to moan about him when you’re in this league. 

35 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Kevin Holt was released by Dundee when they were effectively a top six Premiership side. You’re not in a position to moan about him when you’re in this league. 

Point of order - Holt was signed when Dundee had just finished sixth, their highest finish for about a hundred years (probably); they were ninth when he left.

Willing to give Holt the benefit of the doubt but let's not pretend that Dundee were ever too good for .. anyone.

5 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

If Fletchers away then can see us going with Watt as our number one front man. Could be a very solid backline with a lot of fluidity up top.

I'd actually like us to keep Fletcher. Very good player at this level.

I'm assuming he wants away though. 

24 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Point of order - Holt was signed when Dundee had just finished sixth, their highest finish for about a hundred years (probably); they were ninth when he left.

Willing to give Holt the benefit of the doubt but let's not pretend that Dundee were ever too good for .. anyone.

I don’t think Dundee are too good for anyone at all. What I do think is that getting one of the best defenders in the league on a one year deal is very good business. He’s unlikely to be able to make the step up so get him in, skoosh the league and then there’s nothing tying you to him. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think Dundee are too good for anyone at all. What I do think is that getting one of the best defenders in the league on a one year deal is very good business. He’s unlikely to be able to make the step up so get him in, skoosh the league and then there’s nothing tying you to him. 

Yeah man, not disagreeing at all, I just threw up in my mouth a bit at the description of Dundee as a top six team.

I didn't think Holt was great for Dundee (although I suspect I only saw him a couple of times) but then it's clear that fans of other Championship teams really rate him, which is good enough for me. We need solid, unspectacular 7/10 every week Championship defenders and that seems to be what we're signing. 

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'd actually like us to keep Fletcher. Very good player at this level.

I'm assuming he wants away though. 

We should let him go for half the Van Veen fee.

Without wanting to labour the point (but people seem unable to read) Holt was a left back for Dundee but will almost certainly be a centre back for United where he was far more competent for us after moving there halfway through 21/22, which makes sense with age.