Dundee United 23/24

Without trying to defend the management of the club under Ogren, are their any Scottish Premier clubs making a profit or breaking even?  I have the impression they all rely on support from their owners.

21 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Without trying to defend the management of the club under Ogren, are their any Scottish Premier clubs making a profit or breaking even?  I have the impression they all rely on support from their owners.

Off top of my head Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell, St Johnstone all made profit.

Killie and Utd made a loss.

50 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Saints do and have money in the bank and Motherwell are close, had a £3.5 million profit for season 20/21 announced in 2022 and a £1million loss the year after. Others I'll need to look up

Edited by Tannadeechee

26 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Off top of my head Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell, St Johnstone all made profit.

24 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Saints do and have .oney in the bank and Motherwell are close had a £3.5 million profit or season 20/21 announced un 2022 and a £1million loss the year after. Others I'll need to look up

That’s interesting and blows my ‘impression’ out of the water.  

1 hour ago, SGMilne said:

It kinda is though. If you overspend and achieve then there's no problem. If you overspend on spectacularly bad recruitment then you have to make it up later.

Last season Ogren put a lot of money in and in the case of McGrath especially, pushed the boat out for little return. None of this would be talked about if the players we spent money on did well.

Same with managers. They recruited managers poorly.

FWIW I don't think we've cut the squad to the core either; we've got plenty of options - a lot of them young tbf - and the one area where we're especially light we're now looking to bolster.

If you overspend and make a massive loss then you either need to keep pouring your own cash in or cut back, irrespective of how well or badly the team performs. You seem to be arguing against a point that no one is making, certainly not in here and nowhere else that I've seen (bampots lurking in the corners of the internet notwithstanding). From what I can see no one is complaining that Ogren hasn't spend enough (or has spent too much money or really making any comment on the level of spending).

Re. "cutting the squad to the core", that was more a reference to the frantic cost cutting at the end of the summer window and then again in January after spunking relative fortunes only a few months earlier. Selling Clark and loaning out Watt (and Chalmers and others) isn't simply a recruitment issue. Unless by recruitment you mean "all staffing considerations" in which case you're getting closer to the truth. 

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

I would guess that within the conditions of this rebate it might state that if the ST holder doesn't claim it then the club will automatically keep the rebate. 

If that was the case the cynic in me thinks that the club have deliberately communicated this via a paywall news article to help curtail as many people coming to claim as possible. Maybe a bit far-fetched and word gets around anyway but would anything really surprise Utd fans given the past year or so?

Tbf, it's all on the official website now. It's not a great read. 

Fill in this form if you want this voucher, that form if you want a different voucher but please don't claim it at all and we'll write your name on a brick in the tunnel so the players can see that you're one of the proud Band of Brothers who donated forty quid to the coffers.

46 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Do Hearts not get an annual donation of £8million from that guy who gave everyone a COVID payment?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s interesting and blows my ‘impression’ out of the water.  

Im sure there are various forms of directors loans, personal securities, cash advances etc  but I don't think it's anything like as bad as it was 10-20 years ago.

21 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

I take it the guy in charge of cost cutting hasn’t found Joe Rice’s office yet? 

A nuclear bomb could go off on Sandeman Street and Davie Bowman would still emerge with training gear on and a bag of balls.

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

If you overspend and make a massive loss then you either need to keep pouring your own cash in or cut back, irrespective of how well or badly the team performs. You seem to be arguing against a point that no one is making, certainly not in here and nowhere else that I've seen (bampots lurking in the corners of the internet notwithstanding). From what I can see no one is complaining that Ogren hasn't spend enough (or has spent too much money or really making any comment on the level of spending).

Re. "cutting the squad to the core", that was more a reference to the frantic cost cutting at the end of the summer window and then again in January after spunking relative fortunes only a few months earlier. Selling Clark and loaning out Watt (and Chalmers and others) isn't simply a recruitment issue. Unless by recruitment you mean "all staffing considerations" in which case you're getting closer to the truth. 

I don't think I am. You don't have to go to the far reaches of the internet to find these sorts of opinions. Twitter and literally every Dundee United forum is full of people suggesting Ogren should "do the right thing" and sell or even just walk away.

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Perth FC spent 4 million on wages alone for a pile of shite, doubt there's any profit there.

54 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

I don't think I am. You don't have to go to the far reaches of the internet to find these sorts of opinions. Twitter and literally every Dundee United forum is full of people suggesting Ogren should "do the right thing" and sell or even just walk away.

Hopefully the same people have a list of mugs investors wanting to buy.