Dundee United 23/24

Watt as Vice Captain is a bit of a statement. Hope Goodwin knows what he's doing.

Watt's clearly an excellent footballer but he seems like a guy who needs to be "managed" more than most. He's not a self starter. Goodwin presumably banking on the extra responsibility dragging a bit of extra motivation out of him. 

10 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

Behich is 100% away. That Squad number is just stupid. 

Considering why he has been given leave I would be extremely surprised if he wasn't away. His best interests would probably be served getting a club in Australia.

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Watt as Vice Captain is a bit of a statement. Hope Goodwin knows what he's doing.

Watt's clearly an excellent footballer but he seems like a guy who needs to be "managed" more than most. He's not a self starter. Goodwin presumably banking on the extra responsibility dragging a bit of extra motivation out of him. 

Was about to post the same. Might be an inspired move. Maybe Watt has shown a really good level of commitment and desire to helping the club in chats with Goodwin.

Watt is 29 years old and will play the forthcoming season in the Championship.  This is a career defining season for him, hopefully he’s realised this and the vice captaincy will help him fulfil his potential.

A fully fit properly motivated Tony Watt could be key to our league chances, agree with what others have said about him being man managed correctly but I’m sure Goodwin has a decent reputation in this respect. 
There are still plans to bring in at least one more forward which will definitely be needed as should Watt get injured/take the huff, we are back to asking too much from young MacLeod. 

6 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

Saints do and have money in the bank and Motherwell are close, had a £3.5 million profit for season 20/21 announced in 2022 and a £1million loss the year after. Others I'll need to look up

If you want to take it a bit further since we became fan owned in October 2016 our profit (and losses) have looked like this:

17/18: £1.72m
18/19: (£436,000)
19/20: £346,590
20/21: £3.5m
21/22: (£1.0m)

So a net profit of £4.12m over the last 5 seasons. Our Cash at hand on the last set of published accounts was £4,237,114.

We'll post a pretty heavy loss for 22/23 I'd imagine given we ended up sacking 2 managers and signed a raft of players in January but the c.£1m loss in 21/22 largely came from us investing in capital expenditure projects off the back of the profit from the previous season - installation of new pitch, stadium upgrades etc.

Edited by capt_oats

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

If you want to take it a bit further since we became fan owned in October 2016 our profit (and losses) have looked like this:

So a net profit of £4.12m over the last 5 seasons. Our Cash at hand on the last set of published accounts was £4,237,114.

We'll post a pretty heavy loss for 22/23 I'd imagine given we ended up sacking 2 managers and signed a raft of players in January but the c.£1m loss in 21/22 largely came from us investing in capital expenditure projects off the back of the profit from the previous season - installation of new pitch, stadium upgrades etc.

Cheers for the details. It just gives further evidence of the complete waste of resources that has been going on, by comparison, at our club.

Edited by Tannadeechee

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I must have missed that.

1 hour ago, Fife Arab said:

Behich is 100% away. That Squad number is just stupid. 

Could be a negotiation tactic from the club in trying to get a fee for him be claiming he’s still part of the first team squad, however given the reasons for his absence I don’t expect to see him back. 

2 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Could be a negotiation tactic from the club in trying to get a fee for him be claiming he’s still part of the first team squad, however given the reasons for his absence I don’t expect to see him back. 

Could be simply that United are happy to keep him until someone buys him, or at least takes him off the wage bill without a fee. He'll be in the Levitt and Fletcher camp (we'd be happy for you to stay but you can go for a fee/no pay-off) rather than the Mulgrew, Birighitti camp (you're finished here, please go).

I don't know how much should be read into there being no 2, 3, 9 or 10 in the squad numbers.

Or indeed that Scott McMann has moved from squad no. 3 to 33?

He's flown under the radar as someone who was should be punted but hasn't been so far.

17 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Could be simply that United are happy to keep him until someone buys him, or at least takes him off the wage bill without a fee. He'll be in the Levitt and Fletcher camp (we'd be happy for you to stay but you can go for a fee/no pay-off) rather than the Mulgrew, Birighitti camp (you're finished here, please go).

His reasons for not returning are not football related, one way or another he will be away. 

33 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I can assure you Behich is away buddy. The numbers are very strange. Where are Charlie and the Aussie numbers? Considering I’m hearing niskanen isn’t even in the squad tomorrow why has he been given the 7? 

Doidge seems to me to be one of those players who is relatively shite but would score a bucket load against us (see also; Sutton, John). For that reason alone it might be worth signing him before one of our rivals does.

Edited by Alert Mongoose