Dundee United 23/24

52 minutes ago, Mr Meeker said:

I get the feeling some folk on here this evening might be "dee sympathisers" but I've had a couple of tasty beverages and could be misreading the room

Nah, nonsense. If Dundee lost to Spartans I'd be ripping the pish out of them.

1 minute ago, SGMilne said:

So they have to get this striker signing right.

Watt today was ok considering he was playing his first minutes in about 4 months. I don't think he should be played up top alone though.

Middleton was pish. No anticipation, sluggish and did very little.

I don't have too much faith in Freeman or McMann though.

Perhaps Sibbald in centre mid and Grimshaw at right back would be better?

Certainly don't think we need both Docherty and Grimshaw in midfield. Both destroyers and we shouldn't need two destroyers against teams sitting with with 10/11 men behind the ball. Mochrie, Glass and Meekison all looked more capable of working the ball and making worthwhile forward passes. 

Not convinced that either Freeman or McMann are good enough to be playing in a team hoping to win the league. Well I am convinced, tbf, but not in a good way.

Potentially United's worst ever result. The club has never lost to a non league side since joining the league in 1923. We had only previously lost 1 league game to a 4th tier side (Ross County in 1998).

1 minute ago, bennett said:

Potentially United's worst ever result. The club has never lost to a non league side since joining the league in 1923. We had only previously lost 1 league game to a 4th tier side (Ross County in 1998).

Not convinced. This is a poor United and still regrouping against an upwardly mobile 4th tier team. Doesn't feel worse than taking 9 (nine) from Celtic last season and many other results. 

6 minutes ago, bennett said:

On the upside, we've never *been* a 4th tier side. Unlike some.

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not looking for constructive, more objective.  The jury is definitely out on Watt, I think most of us want to give him the benefit of the doubt but he will be judged on his performances.

On a separate note, @ArabFC is making an arse of himself by red dotting people rather than engaging with them.  If you have an alternate view why not just come on and offer it?

I think both were waiting on the ball and waiting to get fed the ball rather than working hard to get it. 

Worked well to get the pen but then obviously no reward.

@ArabFC is a boring p***k who thinks he has some sort of insight despite never having actually demonstrated it so I wouldn't worry who he red dots 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d certainly like to hear from United fans who were at the game about Watt (and I suppose Middleton).

Watt wasn’t great but he’s never a number 9 in that formation and that’s not being critical of Watt, he’s just not the right type of player for that role. A 9 as a lone striker needs to be able to hold the ball up and bring others into play and it’s vital we bring someone in capable of playing that role. 

Middleton was fucking dreadful and looked completely uninterested. When he got moved to the left in the first half he was playing just in front of where we were standing and not once did he ask for the ball or make any sort of move to create space, the performance of an absolute imposter. 

44 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Certainly don't think we need both Docherty and Grimshaw in midfield. Both destroyers and we shouldn't need two destroyers against teams sitting with with 10/11 men behind the ball. Mochrie, Glass and Meekison all looked more capable of working the ball and making worthwhile forward passes. 

Not convinced that either Freeman or McMann are good enough to be playing in a team hoping to win the league. Well I am convinced, tbf, but not in a good way.

Docherty is a destroyer haha since when? What sort of player do you think you have signed ffs haha

47 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Not convinced. This is a poor United and still regrouping against an upwardly mobile 4th tier team. Doesn't feel worse than taking 9 (nine) from Celtic last season and many other results. 

Although they were a team at the same level as us, I still consider the 6-1 humping from a piss poor Falkirk side the year before they were cast out to the seasides as the all-time low point.

That's not to downgrade how bad a result this is mind.

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

You feeling okay? Lot of Patrick fans in here randomly laughing and muttering to themselves about Docherty. Was he not popular then?

He was fair to middling but if you think he is some sort of amazing baller you are in for a shock

Just now, captainkev said:

Although they were a team at the same level as us, I still consider the 6-1 humping from a piss poor Falkirk side the year before they were cast out to the seasides as the all-time low point.

That's not to downgrade how bad a result this is mind.

Yeah that was pretty shit. Getting humped by Queens down at Palmerston was pretty bad. The 2-0 v East Fife at Tannadice will be up/down there.

1 minute ago, chattyman said:

He was fair to middling but if you think he is some sort of amazing baller you are in for a shock

Nobody thinks he's an "amazing baller" ffs.  It's only really the Patrick fans who seem to think today was a story about Ross Docherty. If you're genuinely interested, he was fine. Time to move on lads.

15 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

You feeling okay? Lot of Patrick fans in here randomly laughing and muttering to themselves about Docherty. Was he not popular then?

He's not a destroyer though, that's not his game.