Dundee United 23/24

4 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I can see the argument for yesterday being our worst result ever tbh, although it's no doubt influenced by being a newly-promoted Lowland side.

In reality it's not much worse than East Fife or Peterhead from recent seasons.

Everyone would expect a heavy defeat from Celtic, and 0-5 or 0-6 wouldn't have raised any eyebrows. Losing to a team divisions below is worse than being horsed by a far superior side IMO, although the sheer margin of the 0-9 will always make it a contender.

Did the 0-9 not come just days after the mauling in Holland, which must make the Celtic result seem worse.

Goodwin seems to be good at saying the things that will make the fans happy and apparently good at saying things that boards like as he seems to interview well enough. Less good it seems at being a manager so it makes me wonder if he is a bit of a bluffer. St Mirren did well when he was the manager there and same with Alloa, but hard not to wonder if those successful periods were due to other factors.

I see according to his wiki he did work as a car salesman while managing Alloa part time and I very much get those kind of vibes from him.

11 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Goodwin seems to be good at saying the things that will make the fans happy and apparently good at saying things that boards like as he seems to interview well enough. Less good it seems at being a manager so it makes me wonder if he is a bit of a bluffer. St Mirren did well when he was the manager there and same with Alloa, but hard not to wonder if those successful periods were due to other factors.

I see according to his wiki he did work as a car salesman while managing Alloa part time and I very much get those kind of vibes from him.

Swiss Toni - BBC3 Sitcom - British Comedy Guide

11 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Swiss Toni - BBC3 Sitcom - British Comedy Guide

Managing a football team is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You need to talk well to sell yourself and make them want you. You need to make sure your charges are fit and strong annd fight to the end. You need to thrust and parry and break down her defence. You need to be hard, but silky where it needs it & sometimes you need to get in behind. After a 90 minute performance with no let up and total dominance, you need to leave those that matter with feelings of ectasy after scoring again and again.

James " Handsome" Goodwin, ladies man, housewives' favourite, football manager.

18 hours ago, SGMilne said:

I've read people say this result is worse than the 0-9. Surely nobody really believes that? 

Have 3 of the top 5 of the worst results ever for Utd been in the last 12 months or would you not class the Alkmaar pounding as that bad?

Just now, Sortmeout said:

Have 3 of the top 5 of the worst results ever for Utd been in the last 12 months or would you not class the Alkmaar pounding as that bad?

Losing 7-0 to AZ Alkmaar wasn't great, but at least they were a very good team. Losing 6-1  in the Championship to a side managed by Paul Hartley is infinitely worse. For example.

5 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I would say two of them have. 

Celtic 0-9 is there. 0-2 to Mypa is in the top 5 for me.

Arguably losing to Killie at home to all but relegate us without putting up a fight will be there too.

Alkmaar could be one of them because it set off the series of events that got us ultimately relegated.

Other than that? I don't know, but I don't think a league cup group game that will likely be forgotten about in a month's time if we win the next few games will be.

Edited by SGMilne

6 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I see we won't be producing a printed programme this season. I may well be in the minority, but I find that really disappointing.

Spartans managed it yesterday...

Yeah, agreed. It's pretty pisspoor. Yet another short sighted and soulless decision from the club.

14 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

The 0-9 has to be in there for the number alone.

Alkmaar, nah, you get mismatched poundings in Europe every season.

Spartans is in there for me.

In terms of an all-time top 5, the aforementioned Falkirk farce at the time felt like a low point, as did a particularly atrocious 0-3 home horsing to Morton in our last spell in the Fundesliga.

20 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

I would say two of them have. 

Celtic 0-9 is there. 0-2 to Mypa is in the top 5 for me.

Arguably losing to Killie at home to all but relegate us without putting up a fight will be there too.

Alkmaar could be one of them because it set off the series of events that got us ultimately relegated.

Other than that? I don't know, but I don't think a league cup group game that will likely be forgotten about in a month's time if we win the next few games will be.

Mypa was 2-2, it just felt like 2-0.

5 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

He'll be an excellent addition.

On another note; open invitation to Davie Bowman. Athletic bar, 7pm. Wednesday. Bring it.

Dele young man, please ensure to wear a charming and enchanting Summer floral dress and fetching eye liner for your proposed encounter with David.

Otherwise, as a young man, a vibrant young man issuing a challenge, be prepared for Mr Squarehead soiling himself with fear in a very public place.

Regards.

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

Mypa was 2-2, it just felt like 2-0.

Oh yeah, so it was.  But I guess that emphasises the point I'm trying to make.

That result was so bad that it felt like a 0-2 when it was actually 2-2 (result was we went out regardless). Some results will just always hurt, but I've got to say that yesterday's result doesn't even hurt now. It has to be looked upon in context. 

For some, that context is that it's a continuation of bad results against a side so minuscule that they shouldn't be on our radar, and that we were pummelled by them.

For me, we should always look to win these games, but their keeper had a great game, we had a poor game and as much as we would like it not to be the case, it was clearly being treated as a pre-season game, with an eye on the 'real' stuff being the league campaign (which is fair).

So yeah, shit result, but I don't think we'll remember it like we will games like Mypa or 0-9.

Win the next cup games and we won't even be talking about it in 2 weeks time.