Dundee United 23/24

4 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Tbf, he hardly played for Dunfermline. He came back to United that season and was excellent at a much higher level. I think the Dunfermline stint said more about Peter Grant's team than it did about Graham.

Yes, Peter Grant is an awful manager and had the entire back line shitting bricks and losing cheap goals.

I would say you have a slightly less hopeless manager all the same and would be interested to see if Graham can come back to his form he had with you guys on his return.

Just now, 101 said:

Yes, Peter Grant is an awful manager and had the entire back line shitting bricks and losing cheap goals.

I would say you have a slightly less hopeless manager all the same and would be interested to see if Graham can come back to his form he had with you guys on his return.

Aye, maybe.

3 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

I thought Goodwin was a decent appointment for both Aberdeen and Utd - I even thought it made sense for United to keep him on for this season. I'm beginning to think that his talking game is what gets/keeps him in a job. He says all the right things in a manner that makes you think he is completely in control. 

Do Utd fans get the same impression? Are there any positive signs from the first few games?

I thought the same as you, good appointments for both. Have to say now that I think he's better suited to a StMirren etc. No disrespect to them but Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are both far bigger clubs with bigger pressures. I think Goodwin suits that hard working team that can battle and occasionally over achieve as opposed to big clubs with big personalities and expectations. 

4 hours ago, Vernon gilmore said:

I’ve no idea why that league table is in goal difference, when at the time they used goal average , which had they used goal difference in 65/66 instead of goal average then hearts would’ve won the top league not Kilmarnock 

No it wouldn't. It would have the previous season, mind.

If goal average had been used in 1985/86, Hearts would have won the title.

4 hours ago, banditjag said:

Just my opinion, but having watched Goodwin's teams at Allia and the St Mirren he seems a good coach and judge of players. Doesn't mean he is a good manager though. Also, is he the sole judge of what players your club is buying? Docherty and Holt smell of safety first. They are good championship players so should help get us out of this league? Moult smells of desperation. Not sure Neilson would be an improvement.

Is that Inter Allia, the well known club of Latin scholars?

Would use the next two dead rubber cup games to try a new system, back to a good old fashioned 4-4-2, 2 strikers being fed by 2 wide players with 2 solid midfielders sitting in front of the defence. Didn’t see the Partick game but wasn’t impressed with our new centre half pairing against Spartans, Denham looks like he’ll be bullied in this league (hopefully some coaching and match experience will change this) and Holt doesn’t look any better than Graham. Hopefully Moult isn’t the last signing as we still desperately lacking in certain areas. 

As it stands my team would be 

Walton

Grimshaw Denham Graham McMann

Niskanen Docherty Sibbald Fotheringham 

Watt Moult

42 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Walton

Watt Moult

Wouldnt be totally against that team although Mcmann is fuckin honky tonk so we need a new left back asap

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

No it wouldn't. It would have the previous season, mind.

If goal average had been used in 1985/86, Hearts would have won the title.

Is that Inter Allia, the well known club of Latin scholars?

Among other things, yes

1 hour ago, skinny arab said:

Would use the next two dead rubber cup games to try a new system, back to a good old fashioned 4-4-2, 2 strikers being fed by 2 wide players with 2 solid midfielders sitting in front of the defence. Didn’t see the Partick game but wasn’t impressed with our new centre half pairing against Spartans, Denham looks like he’ll be bullied in this league (hopefully some coaching and match experience will change this) and Holt doesn’t look any better than Graham. Hopefully Moult isn’t the last signing as we still desperately lacking in certain areas. 

Walton

Watt Moult

I can’t believe anyone could watch last night’s game and believe Holt was the half of the centre-back pairing needing dropped.

Holt didn’t really do anything. Denham was having to deal with Brian Graham - basically man marking him - until he was subbed and replaced by Ross Graham with Holt basically sweeping up.

His contribution, whilst fine, was minimal and I thought he’d have been the more better prepared to look after Brian Graham instead of Denham.

25 minutes ago, VanBasten said:

Holt didn’t really do anything. Denham was having to deal with Brian Graham - basically man marking him - until he was subbed and replaced by Ross Graham with Holt basically sweeping up.

His contribution, whilst fine, was minimal and I thought he’d have been the more better prepared to look after Brian Graham instead of Denham.

Graham went on Denholm because he was identified as the weak link. I'd be amazed if it was a decision made by United.

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Graham went on Denholm because he was identified as the weak link. I'd be amazed if it was a decision made by United.

Graham was not moving towards the defender, that’s the complete opposite of what strikers do. They try to find as much space as possible in which to operate. Denham was right beside him the whole time he was on the park. 

3 minutes ago, VanBasten said:

Graham was not moving towards the defender, that’s the complete opposite of what strikers do. They try to find as much space as possible in which to operate. Denham was right beside him the whole time he was on the park. 

No mate, you're mistaken.

3 hours ago, VanBasten said:

Utterly amazed that Holt wasn't switched to marking Graham after it became obvious Denham had difficulties.

My only criticism of Holt was what appeared to be his inability to turn his head to the left. You'd see Fotheringham and/or McMann in space on the left handside of the pitch with no Thistle player within 18ft of them. Holt moves up the pitch with his head turned to the right and passes to Denham who passed it back to Holt, or Docherty who passed it straight back or it was hit right to a player marked by at least 2 players. I really struggle to comprehend any player not looking at the entire picture in front of him and having the intelligence to hit it quickly to the guys in space.

Edited by Tannadeechee

12 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

No mate, you're mistaken.

Thistle had done thheir homework after the Spartans game and new exactly what areas and who to target. Graham up against Denholm to see if he'd crack. It worked as he did.

If Doolan hadn't done that then you'd have to question his ability to be involved in football.